• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shadow322

• PWNZOR

• Amauros

• Pyro

Looks great, but shouldn't it be 2x3 squares, with two buildings on each side and a channel through the middle?

Also, is it possible to put something over the middle section?

Edit: wait, why does it say you can't place it? and why does the tool store have an extra square power path in front of it?

So would the refinery be suspended in the air to allow vehicles to pass underneath?

Looks great, but shouldn't it be 2x3 squares, with two buildings on each side and a channel through the middle?

This. The Ore Refinery suspended, but it's as long as 2 buildings together. The base would really be 2x3. Not sure how it would work

Also, could there be 3 seperate path nulls? (Refinery, Power, Upgrade)?

Random idea: Allow it function as a refinery and an upgrade station, but limit it; upgrading would be slower and only allow you to upgrade the engine and maybe drill, and the ore refinery would be slower and perhaps only be upgraded to use 3 or 4 ore. Once you purchase a regular ore refinery and/or upgrade station, they'll be either not used and/or boosted to normal abilities and allow you to upgrade/refine ore more quickly by using both refineries or cranes at once. Maybe there could be a second laser instead of the crane which aims with the first one.

could there be 3 seperate path nulls? (Refinery, Power, Upgrade)?

You're forgetting the teleport pad, which is vital if this is to supersede the tool store as a starting building. I imagine the tools would be retrieved from underneath the refinery, which was apparently a garage in the original set.

1. Looks great, but shouldn't it be 2x3 squares, with two buildings on each side and a channel through the middle?

2. Also, is it possible to put something over the middle section?

3. Edit: wait, why does it say you can't place it?

4. and why does the tool store have an extra square power path in front of it?

1, I'd have to look at the set again, but I thought you could pass through the set from 4 sides

2, there's actually going to be something over every tile, since yellow tiles don't actually restrict where the building can be placed

3, ... there's nothing that says I can't build this "HQ", but there's no model yet

4, because this is a custom biome and I've removed the octagonal powerpaths

So would the refinery be suspended in the air to allow vehicles to pass underneath?

This. The Ore Refinery suspended, but it's as long as 2 buildings together. The base would really be 2x3. Not sure how it would work

Also, could there be 3 seperate path nulls? (Refinery, Power, Upgrade)?

As I said, the yellow tiles don't restrict where the building can be. The HQ would basically be one big building that stretches across all of the tiles, regardless of color. The green tiles just tell the RR's they can't/shouldn't walk there. So the refinery can be suspended over the center just fine.

As for nulls, you'll have to ask Cirevam... but I'm pretty sure you can only have one deposit null.

could there be 3 seperate path nulls? (Refinery, Power, Upgrade)?

You're forgetting the teleport pad, which is vital if this is to supersede the tool store as a starting building. I imagine the tools would be retrieved from underneath the refinery, which was apparently a garage in the original set.

I didn't count the teleport pad since it's a teleport null, while the other 3 are locations where a unit interacts with a building.

At least I think. Check with Cirevam.

1 other thing, we can't make the HQ exactly like the set. Cirevam and I have already gone over it. So we have to make it slightly different and include what we can, and it won't be a buildable structure... it will be placed via ol in special missions (or else every mission would be too easy). 3x3 was the shape we decided to work with... but that doesn't have to be a final decision, it was more or less to prove whether or not we figured out how to make the building shapes coordinates.

If there can only be one deposit null, maybe add a bucket that the crane takes the items out of and moves them to the relevant machines?

Also, looking at the set, the only walkable ground is in the middle, parallel to and below the refinery, but perpendicular to those is a bridge and some stairs going through the middle; I don't know if that can be used, but at the least the teleport pad could be turned around and they use it to get off, rather than jumping off the side.

Hey, maybe they could use the stairs to deposit the crystals and ore in the center thing, and then it deposits them in the energy crystal thing or the refinery.

As I was typing this, Pyro posted, but I'll leave this post as-is.

From what I've seen in building animations, the deposit_null is used for several things, but mostly unit creation. The Upgrade Station does use it for positioning units, as does the Power Station. I checked just now to make sure. This leads me to believe that the Ore Refinery does the same thing.

What this means for the HQ is that there must be ONE area for teleporting units, upgrading units, and refining materials. This does not mean that we can only do one of these. It means that there must be one central location for these events to occur, and the building animations will have to conform to this restriction. Tools, however, use different nulls, so one corner of the HQ can be used just for collecting tools and spitting out materials for construction. Also, the refineries use item_nulls and don't have the deposit_null rotated, so we might be able to use the item_nulls to help change the position of the refineries. I propose a sample layout:

.___.......____

| US| TS | PS |

|___|.....|___|

|.....|.....|......|

|___|.....|___|

| ML|.....| TP |

|___|.....|___|

Legend:

... = Yellow Area

US = Upgrade Station

TS = Tool Store general area

PS = Power Station (and Ore Refinery)

ML = Mining Laser

TP = Teleport Pad

The Upgrade Station can reach out to the middle, so that's not a problem. The Teleport Pad doesn't directly touch vehicles, so we could retcon its abilities and let it teleport raiders to the middle of the HQ. Units will stand in the middle and face the Power Station to process materials. Raiders will go to the upper middle area to pick up tools that could be lying there, and raw materials could be laid next to the Power Station and sit in dispensers so it looks more professional. The Mining Laser is just for defense. Oxygen generation could be handled anywhere.

As for the CFG entry, it will need the following lines:

ManTeleporter TRUE

SmallTeleporter TRUE (BigTeleporter optional)

ToolStore TRUE

StoreObjects TRUE

SelfPowered TRUE

UpgradeBuilding TRUE

Tracker TRUE

CanDoubleSelect TRUE

ProcessCrystal TRUE

ProcessOre TRUE

MaxCarry X:X:X:X

OxygenCoef X.X

...plus the standard lines that every building uses.

Edit: Cireposted while I was replying lol.

@Cirevam, is that a 3x3 or 3x4? I'm having difficulty understanding that with the __ and ....

Sounds great. But won't rock raiders throw things through the support beam while tossing objects from the middle to one of the corners? I still like my idea of them throwing them into the bucket in the middle, and it dispensing them into the relevant machine. Of course, I think you'll be making that into a variant on the ore refinery, so it might be necessary to do what you said.

As this building is [most likely] going to be placed via OL, you could make it into multiple buildings, and have them be made into one large one when it's built.

As this building is [most likely] going to be placed via OL, you could make it into multiple buildings, and have them be made into one large one when it's built.

The point of this is to have one large special building that works as a single unit. That way you don't need but one, and you have to protect it because if it explodes you loose everything.

I was mainly referring to having a separate ore refinery that its origin could be placed on one of the sides, but the actual animation and bulk of the model is in the middle, above all.

All the rest of the buildings I was meaning to keep in one large building.

Okay, hold up. We're all throwing different ideas around. Let's all clarify what we mean and figure out what ideas will work best. For mine, I'm using the 3x3 foundation that's already developed. The Power Station and Ore Refinery must be one unit because both use Activity_Deposit for the "processing" animation.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.