.Map Files

Sharkly

Hey Guys, I'm working on a Map Loader for the iPhone, and Mac (Don't ask questions). I don't understand the dimensions of a .map file. I understand that I can remove the two hex bytes at the end of each number (00 00), but even after removed when I convert the number to decimal (with this http://www.easycalculation.com/hex-converter.php for speed) it is a very large number, or is not divisible by 40 (units per block). I am also a little confused about the format of the beginning of the file, I assume is is as so:

MAP

AREA

HEIGHT

WIDTH

4D 41 50 20 28 1C 00 00 3C 00 00 00 3C 00 00 00

For testing I am using Level25 so please use Level25 for examples.

Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

Should be under modding tools.

Please refer to Cyrem for Map Hex.

That's what he did before.

Also, try checking the wiki. Not sure if it has anything useful, I'll have a look myself too.

I found this http://www.rockraidersunited.org/wiki/index.php?title=Numbers_in_Hexadecimal_Code I assume that this applies with .map files also?

I am not sure you guys quite get what I am trying to do, I am trying to get the area/height/width of the map, I understand the block types and their hex.

If only the Map Tool, and/or the Map Creator were open source...

Something you should also do is make a server/website thing so that when you sign into your account, you can view/edit your maps that you can upload via you computer. On the app, you can then sign in and it auto uploads the files.

what is it for?

There might be better solutions than the rock raider .map files, depending on what you want to use it for.

What I would do in your position: Take Level25 file. Make sure you know the offset of the position. Get the hex string. Get the level size (Map Creator). Compare.

Repeat for another level, see if you see a pattern. Now I would've done this myself but I don't have access to the files right now.

I you have any ideas contact me.

Uuhhh, no, post here.

Also, that yellow signature is helluv annoying...

Also, that yellow signature is helluv annoying...

Too bad. xD

Also, I resolved this problem, my map loader is working perfectly.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.