World Textures - Wish List

Amauros

Green cracks is doable for the walls, but not for the floor (well maybe), it's just the floor would look really odd I think. I'll definitely add that one to the list though.

• 3 weeks later...

Updated OP:

I've uploaded a file for peer review. It's a 512x512 Rock Split. I tested to see if 1, larger dimensions would work, 2, if there was a noticeable difference in quality. I couldn't detect any real difference; so I've uploaded it to let everyone else take a look. Link is at the bottom of OP.

• 4 weeks later...

1. When i said metiliac i meant by a cavern appeard to be made out of metal.

2. Can you make an underwater looking level?

1, Ok...

2, Can I? I probably could, but will I? Absolutely not. Too tacky looking for LRR.

1, Ok...

2, Can I? I probably could, but will I? Absolutely not. Too tacky looking for LRR.

Here are my ideas:

Limestone, with layered rock which appears to have fossils in it.

Sand, which was one of my original ideas, with mud instead of water. (I see you have that already).

Metallic/Steel, with walls seeming to be made of crystalline steel similar in shape and structure to the stock ice cavern's solid rock (except for Dirt walls, which would look like they are a silvery, shiny powder).

Planet Surface, Planet U's surface, should be an interesting environment to see. No plants, but having walls similar to layered rock with fossils in it. (Boiling water instead of lava).

Crystal Cave, which may sound strange at first, but maybe if it only has tiny crystals littering everything in an otherwise rock texture setting. (May look better if you could make textures higher resolution).

Crystal Formation textures (need better name), in which most textures are very little different from the stock lava cavern textures, but the lava texture could show the process of the formation of energy crystals, and water could be more acid liquid, like in the acid rock texture set (hopefully green, which would show a connection between this horrid liquid and energy crystals, while showing inaccessible energy crystals floating in it).

I've got more, but I can't recall them all at once. Must be the RtPU mod. Something in the air ;).

1, Ok...

Here are my ideas:

Limestone, with layered rock which appears to have fossils in it.

Sand, which was one of my original ideas, with mud instead of water. (I see you have that already).

Metallic/Steel, with walls seeming to be made of crystalline steel similar in shape and structure to the stock ice cavern's solid rock (except for Dirt walls, which would look like they are a silvery, shiny powder).

Planet Surface, Planet U's surface, should be an interesting environment to see. No plants, but having walls similar to layered rock with fossils in it. (Boiling water instead of lava).

Crystal Cave, which may sound strange at first, but maybe if it only has tiny crystals littering everything in an otherwise rock texture setting. (May look better if you could make textures higher resolution).

Crystal Formation textures (need better name), in which most textures are very little different from the stock lava cavern textures, but the lava texture could show the process of the formation of energy crystals, and water could be more acid liquid, like in the acid rock texture set (hopefully green, which would show a connection between this horrid liquid and energy crystals, while showing inaccessible energy crystals floating in it).

I've got more, but I can't recall them all at once. Must be the RtPU mod. Something in the air ;).

First off, don't

quote people's posts
if you're not replying/commenting on that post. Use the quickreply box at the bottom or click "add reply."

Limestone, fossils? First we need to go over what died in these caves; then we'll discuss adding this to the list.

Sand - check, mud and water will both be included in the biome set (names will have to be changed for one or the other to work)

Metallic/steel, first off, metals don't "crystalize" as a mineral. Most metals are found as oxides (or otherwise known as "ore"), which we already mine from the walls. This would be more of an "ore seam" type of deal where the wall looks rich in metal oxides, rather than a whole biome.

Crystal cave, a biome like this would require a skillful mapper to make crystals spawn from every drilled wall that has a crystals in its texture (so I may actually add this to the list)

Crystal formation, read up in the fan fiction forum, we've gone over many things in the game from a scientific approach, including how the EC's are formed and why they have energy.

Edit: Planet U's surface, (I missed this one), I think we've probably gone over this too. Boiling water would be a bit difficult because there's no way for me to make it "bubble;" the existing lava textures don't do that, though they do have smoke (which I think can be made to look like steam).

First of all, we should acknowledge that it is extremely unlikely for Planet U never to have had fish, like we have here on Earth. A few fish fossils shouldn't be a big issue when it comes down to good aesthetic quality. It's far more plausible than the stock ice caverns.

As for the metallic caverns, you misunderstand me. I meant to imply that it should look more like, say, pyrite.

Scratch the crystal formation if you don't like it, I don't care for the fan fiction. I just wanted to make a connection to an already proposed theme.

Please don't treat me like a newbie, whining child who doesn't have an open mind. I hate it when people do that (intended or not, no offense). But please tell me when I am wrong.

Limestone, fossils? First we need to go over what died in these caves; then we'll discuss adding this to the list.

Boiling water would be a bit difficult because there's no way for me to make it "bubble;" the existing lava textures don't do that, though they do have smoke (which I think can be made to look like steam).

1) Remember the unused monsters? Scorpions, snakes, and large spiders? All of those should leave a fossil of some sort, though the spider might have to be in amber or an equivalent to be realistic.

2) I know there are animations for lava erosion, but I haven't found the model or texture for lava steam. If we can find it then it's a matter of making a bubble texture for it and changing a few sound files.

First of all, we should acknowledge that it is extremely unlikely for Planet U never to have had fish, like we have here on Earth. A few fish fossils shouldn't be a big issue when it comes down to good gameplay. It's far more plausible than the stock ice caverns.

Please don't treat me like a newbie, whining child who doesn't have an open mind. I hate it when people do that (intended or not, no offense). But please tell me when I am wrong.

1) You're right about that. Rock and lava are fine, but then BAM here's an ice level. It was a bit odd the first time I saw it.

2) Woah there, we're just telling you not to quote a post if you're not replying to it. Amauros also takes these ideas seriously, so he has to seriously critique them and think whether or not it would be worth the time and effort to make it. Some are useless without other things, like Space Raiders.

Boiling water would be a bit difficult because there's no way for me to make it "bubble;" the existing lava textures don't do that, though they do have smoke (which I think can be made to look like steam).

1) Remember the unused monsters? Scorpions, snakes, and large spiders? All of those should leave a fossil of some sort, though the spider might have to be in amber or an equivalent to be realistic.

• Fossils of insects/snakes are very rare due to their anatomy (lack of major bone structure), 2, you're assuming A, fossilization occurs on Planet U, B, that the natural processes necessary for fossilization (both in the native life and in geology) are present, when in LRR, we have rock/ice/lava monsters and mysterious energy-rich phosphorescent crystals.

2) I know there are animations for lava erosion, but I haven't found the model or texture for lava steam. If we can find it then it's a matter of making a bubble texture for it and changing a few sound files.

• Look under miscobjects in the cfg. The files are in grey scale, and I think they're transparent enough that ingame you see yellow in 3rd person but grey in 1st person. I'm pretty sure this means we can't change it for 1 biome without affecting all of them.
    		LavaErosionSmoke1			MiscAnims\Effects\Erode1

LavaErosionSmoke2			MiscAnims\Effects\Erode2

LavaErosionSmoke3			MiscAnims\Effects\Erode3

LavaErosionSmoke4			MiscAnims\Effects\Erode4

First of all, we should acknowledge that it is extremely unlikely for Planet U never to have had fish, like we have here on Earth. A few fish fossils shouldn't be a big issue when it comes down to good gameplay. It's far more plausible than the stock ice caverns.

What makes you think marine life is or ever was present on Planet U? There's nothing that says Planet U must have developed life the same way Earth did.

1) You're right about that. Rock and lava are fine, but then BAM here's an ice level. It was a bit odd the first time I saw it.

• It would make more sense in the briefing if it was described as a polar/surface/glacier mission.

2) Woah there, we're just telling you not to quote a post if you're not replying to it. Amauros also takes these ideas seriously, so he has to seriously critique them and think whether or not it would be worth the time and effort to make it. Some are useless without other things, like Space Raiders.

• This.

• Fossils of insects/snakes are very rare due to their anatomy (lack of major bone structure), 2, you're assuming A, fossilization occurs on Planet U, B, that the natural processes necessary for fossilization (both in the native life and in geology) are present, when in LRR, we have rock/ice/lava monsters and mysterious energy-rich phosphorescent crystals.

Look under miscobjects in the cfg. The files are in grey scale, and I think they're transparent enough that ingame you see yellow in 3rd person but grey in 1st person. I'm pretty sure this means we can't change it for 1 biome without affecting all of them.

LavaErosionSmoke1			MiscAnims\Effects\Erode1
LavaErosionSmoke2 MiscAnims\Effects\Erode2
LavaErosionSmoke3 MiscAnims\Effects\Erode3
LavaErosionSmoke4 MiscAnims\Effects\Erode4

1) You're assuming that in a world, nay, a GALAXY where rock, ice, and lava can come to life and ruin your crap, neither fossils nor amberized creatures can occur naturally. This is scifi. Rock Raiders have teleportation and light-speed travel for God's sake. I think a fossilized scorpion isn't out of the question, especially since they're large enough that they would realistically need an internal skeleton.

2) Those are the lava erosion animations I already mentioned. Those are NOT the steam bits coming off of actual lava. I know because I looked at the erode animations before I posted. Come on Amauros.

1) You're assuming that in a world, nay, a GALAXY where rock, ice, and lava can come to life and ruin your crap, neither fossils nor amberized creatures can occur naturally. This is scifi. Rock Raiders have teleportation and light-speed travel for God's sake. I think a fossilized scorpion isn't out of the question, especially since they're large enough that they would realistically need an internal skeleton.

2) Those are the lava erosion animations I already mentioned. Those are NOT the steam bits coming off of actual lava. I know because I looked at the erode animations before I posted. Come on Amauros.

1) Well I'll have to research to refresh my memory, but I recall that cockroaches used to grow up to 3 feet inches in length and spiders had a 2 foot 50 cm leg span. The great mothra had a wingspan of 300 feet? I remember that one being rather outrageous, bug or not. Nevertheless, exo-skeletons are rather durable, so I suppose they could fossilize, but again there's the geological to anatomical aspect.

2) I know I've seen them somewhere. Perhaps the SteamCXX.bmp files in the World/Shared folder?

Edit: Went ahead and looked those 3 up. Mothra turns up a bunch of films such as Godzilla Vs Mothra, relevant results show amber specimens which are all very small and not what I'm looking for at all. >.>

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this here yet, but you could make an underwater texture set as suggested by Joe.

Cire edit: Joe mentioned it a few posts up. Amauros said it would look tacky.

Edited by Cirevam

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this here yet, but you could make an underwater texture set as suggested by Joe.

Cire edit: Joe mentioned it a few posts up. Amauros said it would look tacky.

It more or less falls under the same category as the space theme. If someone wants to make U-boats and stuff and RR's with swimming animations and airtanks etc, I might consider it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have a small update. I've added a couple biomes to my list (a biome Cirevam wanted and then the textures that Addict wants).

I have no major updates to any of the biomes yet as I'm working on making custom hi-res textures as opposed to refining the original biomes. The main trouble is getting the textures to line up well together so it flows rather than looking like tiles in-game.

• 1 month later...

The snow-ice biome I've been posting screenshots of in my gallery has finally been uploaded! Check the OP under the completed list for snow-ice biome vs 2.0.

Now to work on those special requests. ;)

Note: You can still download vs 1.0 by clicking on the previous version at the download page. :P

I've added the ICEFALL.bmp to the biome so you now have a matching rock fall animation for the biome. ;)

If you have already downloaded the biome, you can download just the rock fall animation here.

• 5 months later...

So I assume you're using red EC's. Can you give me the cfg values you're using so I can compare the textures with the crystals?

Well, the RGB would be 255:000:000, if that is what you want to know.

EDIT

Could you also make a blue crystal seam? With the RGB 163:203:194

Hey, I'm not trying to be a bother or rush or anything, but I'd just like to ask when you estimate to have the themes like rock-ice and post-lava out. Thanks.

Hey, I'm not trying to be a bother or rush or anything, but I'd just like to ask when you estimate to have the themes like rock-ice and post-lava out. Thanks.

Hmm.... I'll shoot for September/October on those. My schedule will be different then than it is now; so hopefully I'll be able to work on things I want to do. In the meantime, my main focus is the TR biome.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.