Lost shortcut in Pirate Skull Pass?

lol username

lol username

A few days ago, I got this email from High Voltage Software, the developers of LEGO Racers (Put in spoilers for size):

Hey Jamie,

Your kinda going back a way there. We loved Lego Racers and it was the first title of the Lego gaming brand so we're pretty proud to have been a part of that successful franchise.

In talking with the team, we know that there were a few different shortcuts planned for various levels that were later culled for various reasons (i.e. if you missed the shortcut you were at too great a disadvantage to catch up, etc). Unfortunately, no one can remember where the short cuts that were culled had run. The project in in archive at the studio and so we couldn't pull it for quick reference without a ton of IT work (and you know how IT guys get). We think that you are right on with your assesment though.

Thanks for being a fan from way back and thanks for giving us the ability to think back to a game we loved being a part of.

Sincerely,

Team High Voltage

This got my attention. Various levels? I looked at every track in LR1 very closely, and didn't really find much. Until I got to Pirate Skull Pass. As in the track that had only 1, tiny shortcut that was more like an alternate route and wasn't worth taking:

lr1_pirate_shortcut_5.png

I decided to take a look around the general area and found some interesting things. Look at the following picture:

lr1_pirate_shortcut_1.png

Notice anything? There are weird lines on the skull. Here, I have outlined them in pink to stand out:

lr1_pirate_shortcut_2.png

For a better view:

lr1_pirate_shortcut_3.png

Why are those lines there? Maybe this was designed to fall apart...?

Now, if this was going to be a shortcut, it would need an exit. And there is a very strange gap in the rocks nearby...

lr1_pirate_shortcut_4.png

There are no bricks like the Knightmare-Athon shortcuts that were scrapped, but it still looks like a possible shortcut location. What do you think?

• Like 2

Leumeister

WOAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >.<D8:0-_-:0 :0 :0 :0 :0 O_O

Good find!

I think that these 4 parts would go to the side, oopeing a place to drive through.

That would at least explain why it are 4 parts

• 2 weeks later...
JrMasterModelBuilder

Wow. Good find. Be nice if we could see if there's anything on the other side.

BTW, I must have blasted that thing over 100 times. It won't open. :P

• 1 month later...
lol username

We now know for sure there was a deleted shortcut in Pirate Skull Pass, but not in that location, thanks to a beta screenshot:

legoracersn6412.jpg

Now look at the same area in the final game:

lr1_where_the_deleted_shortcut_was.png

They got rid of the road and fenced the gap off.

JrMasterModelBuilder

Hey! Good find! And I looked at that pic too. . . Where would that let out? The possible exit you found before?

• 1 month later...
Fluffy Cupcake

I always though there was something that looked weird about the skull. I think I even tried shooting it once before. xD

On Ice Planet Pathway time trial there is shield power up, what exactly is it for? Cause it doesn't seem like it activates anything or protects you from anything.

• 10 months later...
the_L_egend

I always though there was something that looked weird about the skull. I think I even tried shooting it once before. xD

On Ice Planet Pathway time trial there is shield power up, what exactly is it for? Cause it doesn't seem like it activates anything or protects you from anything.

i think its just to annoy you.

because if you activate at the wrong moment you have a red shield around you (wich you dont need cause the enemy is a ghost <_< ).

lol username

i think its just to annoy you.

because if you activate at the wrong moment you have a red shield around you (wich you dont need cause the enemy is a ghost <_< ).

There are two blue bricks, and you have to actually aim at one of them to get it.

Never mind, memory fail.

Edited by jamesster

From what I see, they just fenced the gap and added some sand particles to make it look less conspicuous. Must have worked.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I got some more info about this! It's not about the one LegoEssence found, it's about the one on here which Jamesster is talking about.

I got this from a chat with origamiguy today. The transcript follows. I had a little trouble copying it, so it may be a little messed up. Origamiguy's name is in bold to help figure out who's talking. ;)

origamiguy was talking about how he has two 1999 copies of the game right before this

origamiguy:

upon inspecting the box, i found that a beta screenshot was used on the retail box.

le717:

Oh my.

(He tries to find the pic)

origamiguy:

IMG000063.png

boom, found it

the font on the 6 is different

and that part of track has a rock wall behind it in the final version

le717:

Was that a shortcut by any chance?

Wait!

I know where that is!

origamiguy:

it certainly looks like it might've been.

incorrect.

i had that same theory

I checked, that skull thing is in the same place as it is in the final version

look at the minimap

the green marker is on the left of the map

if it was at the shortcut everyone's been talking about, it'd be near the bottom-right.

le717: green marker?

origamiguy:

it's hard to see

but the green one is the current player.

le717:

Yup. It's hard to see if your partly colorblind (like me). :P

origamiguy:

anyways, there was a theory that the skull would've broken apart when shot at, and led to a shortcut. From my research into the material files it looks like this is a correct theory.

le717:

Rio thought so!

As did I!

origamiguy:

plus the way the model is formed adds more credibility to the theory.

this beta screenshot makes it even more plausible that there would've been a shortcut there.

le717:

and everyone else on this topic

( Link removed because I linked to this topic.

He goes and gets his game save and takes a picture of the spot

origamiguy:

NkG4V.png

le717:

Wow.

They completely redid the terrain!

It doesn't even look like the same spot!

origamiguy:

actually

i think i was a bit too far left when i took that

it's actually very similar

it's literally just that back wall of rocks

plus the little fence next to the skull

le717:

I was going to point out the fence.

Is there even water to the right?

origamiguy:

nope

just that giant wall of rock

(I go and get a picture too.)

le717:

How's this look:

lego2_skull_shortcut.png

origamiguy:

close enough ;)

le717:

Good

I had to get off at this point, so the transcript stops there.

lol username

"From my research into the material files it looks like this is a correct theory.

plus the way the model is formed adds more credibility to the theory."

Moar info plz? :D

I got some more info about this!

I got this from a chat with origamiguy today.

... Though you didn't let him post on his finds himself, instead beating him to the punch with the limited info he gave you...? Bah, but who am I to talk, I once did the same with JrMasterModelBuilder when he found those LEGO Comic Adventures and PM'd them to me on BZPower. :P (Sorry, JMMB, just got a tad... Excited about it...)

"From my research into the material files it looks like this is a correct theory.

plus the way the model is formed adds more credibility to the theory."

Moar info plz? :D

The material definitions seem to define a different material for the 4 quadrants of the skull. Looking at the model in wireframe confirms where the breakage lines would've been.

... Though you didn't let him post on his finds himself, instead beating him to the punch with the limited info he gave you...?

I'll make a big post detailing everything sometime, it's okay.

JrMasterModelBuilder

origamiguy, if you still have your box I would be greatful if we could get scans. I no longer have my box :( and I'd like to be able to see it again.

Bah, but who am I to talk, I once did the same with JrMasterModelBuilder when he found those LEGO Comic Adventures and PM'd them to me on BZPower. :P (Sorry, JMMB, just got a tad... Excited about it...)

I'm pretty sure I told you to post them. I was swamped with school and didn't have time to write up anything good. You took screen captures and everything!

@Jamesster I actually asked him if I could copy our chat and tell you guys about it. ;)

@Origamiguy Well, I and everyone else will be waiting for that post!

@JMMB He told me he would have HQ scans oft he box in about 3 weeks. But I'm hoping I can get a 1999 copy before that so I can Ninja him.... uh, see the differences for myself. :P

origamiguy, if you still have your box I would be greatful if we could get scans. I no longer have my box :( and I'd like to be able to see it again.

I still have my box. Buuuut, it's the easter holidays, I'm at home, and the box is in my flat at uni. 2 or 3 weeks and I'll have HQ photos of it.

JrMasterModelBuilder

I still have my box. Buuuut, it's the easter holidays, I'm at home, and the box is in my flat at uni. 2 or 3 weeks and I'll have HQ photos of it.

Awesome! Can't wait!

• 3 weeks later...

Alright. I just got my 1999 copy of LR1 (:D), and I've been looking at the box, and neither I nor rio can find that beta pic. Anywhere. I'll be scanning it in the best I can it's kinda crushed on the edges), but we will still needs scans of your box, origami.

So, not only does LR1 have two releases, but the 1999 box has multiple printings. :|

lol username

Well, the one I'm getting is the jewel case packaging, so no box here. Oddly, I saw the same jewel case version being sold at the LEGO Imagination Center at the Mall of America back in... Maybe 2008 or 2009, I think it was? It was quite strange, usually LEGO stores don't sell stuff that old, but they had a full shelf of shrinkwrapped, jewel case 1999 editions of LEGO Racers for sale. And aside from the fact that they were selling a nearly ten year old game, it was the 1999 version, shouldn't they have been selling the 2001 version at that point? I dunno, maybe somebody found an old box of them or something.

EDIT: And yes, I know seeing classic LEGO games at stores today isn't exactly rare (I got my copy of Stunt Rally at Office Max a few years back, of all places, and Half Price Books is usually well stocked on new-in-box LEGO games), but this was the actual 1999 game, and at a LEGO store, and LEGO stores practically never sell any older stuff at all. Their inventories are mostly stuff produced in the past year, which is why I find them selling the 1999 LR1 so strange. You'd at least think they would be selling the 2001 version...

lol username

Ugh, more of those really awkward renders... Just look at Basil and his car. lolwat? Interesting that Johnny has his beta car as well. Thanks for the scans. :D

Modded Lego

COOL LE717! You got your Lego Racers 1 1999 Copy!!! Is it like i described it? I hope you like the game with the trophies! :lol:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.