Modding BIONICLE: The Game

Cyrem

As I received my copy of the game today, I'm having a look into it and will post information in this topic as I look at the game.

Archive Types: VOL, ALV.

Extraction Software: Game Extractor (VOL, ALV)

Inside "General.VOL":

There are a number of files in here, however most refer to keyboard types and key locations. There is a config file:

NAME                    BIONICLE          // Name of game
WAD 9-98 // First WAD to read
LANGUAGE ENGLISH // Territory or language
PAL OFF // PAL or NTSC
DEBUG_CHEATS ON // Are debug cheats on/off
DEBUG_TEXT ON // Display debug text/gfx
DEBUG_FLY ON // Fly-through mode on/off
LEVEL_SELECT ON // Level select on/off
DEMO_LEVEL_SELECT OFF // Only show * levels in level select
SOUND OFF // Sound on/off

I have turned all the 'DEBUG' related things on as above. It shows memory/freespace on the game with DEBUG_TEXT on. I am yet to find these 'DEBUG_CHEATS'. 'DEBUG_FLY' was already on...

Other VOL/AVL files:

There are a heap more data files however when extracted there is a bunch of more data files (PCM,PCS,PCSI,PCA) which I have not found an extractor for yet.

Will post more info later.

I have a copy of this somewhere...I'll see if I can grab it and try modding that...

It's not one of the broken ones is it?

Well, "Not Really". It had a few scratches, but I do believe the last time I saw it and used it, I was able to play.

I'll get back to you on that though...

JrMasterModelBuilder

Gar! I've had soo much school lately, ya beat me to the punch. :) Which, if any, of these things are on by default? Also, any ides how to use debug mode?

A side question. The extractor can edit, correct? Not just extract.

Yay. I could never get past Gali's mission. And the graphics were HORRIBLE!!!! You dislikes LRR PS1 Graphics, you'll HATE these ones.

Anyways, school ends in a few weeks, so I'll go looking for this game.

Gar! I've had soo much school lately, ya beat me to the punch. :) Which, if any, of these things are on by default? Also, any ides how to use debug mode?

Sadly, only if you donate $5. You could try MultiEx Commander, I think it does those formats too.

I bet that the PCM file is similar to the one you got in lego racers!

No, It's not. The file Header is 'BIGB' <level name> "-disablereport -platform" in the start of the file. PCM files have ADPCM in the header.

Fluffy Cupcake

Sadly, only if you donate $5. You could try MultiEx Commander, I think it does those formats too.

Haha, I searched gtc, and I see you posted about LR2. I'm going to bookmark and keep a watch on that topic. (and no I was not told that you posted about it there, so I didn't know.)

Haha, I searched gtc, and I see you posted about LR2. I'm going to bookmark and keep a watch on that topic. (and no I was not told that you posted about it there, so I didn't know.)

Yea, no help from there really, I've done all he said and it didn't get me anywhere.

JrMasterModelBuilder

I'll check it out! Free I hope?

What's this about a GTC file?

Fluffy Cupcake
Yea, no help from there really, I've done all he said and it didn't get me anywhere.
Yah, I see hmm.png?t=1272494738. I've been having a big urge to want to mod LR2 lately. But this isn't the topic to talk about that because this is the BIONICLE topic.

Yea should be, it's the LR2 data file (but this is the wrong topic for talking about it).

JrMasterModelBuilder

Yea should be, it's the LR2 data file (but this is the wrong topic for talking about it).

O.K. I was looking at a Dragon UnPACKer, and it didn't look like you could make changes.

Fweeew. I was starting to worry BIONICLE had one of those GTCs. :P

O.K. I was looking at a Dragon UnPACKer, and it didn't look like you could make changes.

Fweeew. I was starting to worry BIONICLE had one of those GTCs. :P

Nope, instead it's got a different unknown format inside the data files.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Administrators

Bump? :/

Nothing has happened here. If I find disc 2 I'll try to see if I can do anything.

I have the Gamecube and PS2 version but I've been trying to mod the GC and PC backup. The main thing I'm trying to figure out is getting level select working.

• 7 years later...
Hexadecimal Mantis

Doing some thread necromancy here. I have been researching the file formats used in this game for a while now, and I have made some significant progress in terms of mods. Specifically for the PS2 port.

The first in-depth modification I did restored the unique unused HUD energy bars for each of the Toa:

WVWPYyb.png

And more recently after learning the model format, I managed to successfully swap Lewa Mata's model from the extras menu over Lewa Nuva!:

Mbzfvtc.png

• Like 4

Hexadecimal Mantis
39 minutes ago, aidenpons said:

Niiiice! How did you manage to do that? And will what you've done there be possible in the PC version?

I already have texture control on the PC port, so the first mod should be able to be replicated fairly easily, albeit differently. As for swapping models on the PC port, I would need to look into it, since the format is completely different.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.