Running Lego Racers 1 On Win7

Cyrem

So they lock in the path on install? How does that work 'cause installing from my emulated E drive didn't help (if you know where it writes, that would help too). :( I'm sure I could find the "how to" (with google ;) ), but do you think it would help if I changed the path to my optical drive to E while I install it, then back when I'm done?

When I install the game from my physical CD drive, I can't play the game with a disk image. If I install it from a virtual drive, I can't play it with a physical disk. So if you're going to play it with an ISO, definitely install it from the virtual drive and keep it that way. I think the hard drive that has my ISO is at home, so I won't be able to provide a step-by-step solution for another two weeks. I have the game installed and I'm pretty sure I have the physical disk with me, so I could always make another image and try it that way. That is, if I have the disk with me.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JrMasterModelBuilder

• GoobyPls

• le717

• Anonymouse

JrMasterModelBuilder

So they lock in the path on install? How does that work 'cause installing from my emulated E drive didn't help (if you know where it writes, that would help too). :( I'm sure I could find the "how to" (with google ;) ), but do you think it would help if I changed the path to my optical drive to E while I install it, then back when I'm done?

When I install the game from my physical CD drive, I can't play the game with a disk image. If I install it from a virtual drive, I can't play it with a physical disk. So if you're going to play it with an ISO, definitely install it from the virtual drive and keep it that way. I think the hard drive that has my ISO is at home, so I won't be able to provide a step-by-step solution for another two weeks. I have the game installed and I'm pretty sure I have the physical disk with me, so I could always make another image and try it that way. That is, if I have the disk with me.

O.K. Just spent a while messing around with it. I uninstalled it, restarted, and reinstalled it again, still no good. Tried looking in my registry for a drive path, found one for LEGO Racers 2, but not LEGO Racers. :( Is there something I might be missing there?

I fiddled around with the files, and I found that without LEGORacers.icd in the folder, it won't start. Not sure what that means, but it probably doesn't hold the path as it was last modified in 1999.

I have also attached proof of ownership in case there is any question I own this game:

<image removed>

O.K. Just spent a while messing around with it. I uninstalled it, restarted, and reinstalled it again, still no good. Tried looking in my registry for a drive path, found one for LEGO Racers 2, but not LEGO Racers. :( Is there something I might be missing there?

I fiddled around with the files, and I found that without LEGORacers.icd in the folder, it won't start. Not sure what that means, but it probably doesn't hold the path as it was last modified in 1999.

I have also attached proof of ownership in case there is any question I own this game:

If you change the extension .icd to .exe you'll find it to be another game executable. This is the exe that your first exe will run after the CD check, however if you start the by itself ICD file it won't run.

Now as for the no-disc exe's I bought a newer copy of RR after a re-release. It runs without a disc straight of the stick. So I'm guessing they removed it possibly due to being so an old game or someone screwed up.

JrMasterModelBuilder

If you change the extension .icd to .exe you'll find it to be another game executable. This is the exe that your first exe will run after the CD check, however if you start the by itself ICD file it won't run.

Now as for the no-disc exe's I bought a newer copy of RR after a re-release. It runs without a disc straight of the stick. So I'm guessing they removed it possibly due to being so an old game or someone screwed up.

Didn't quite understand. That's the actual main game file, it just won't run by itself without the other EXE?

Does anyone know how the check disc thing works or knows the drive letter? I can play my Frogger game from an ISO I made from the folder on the disc no problem (yes, it will complain if there is no disc, as the videos are on the CD).

• 4 weeks later...

Straight up LEGO Racers will not work on Windows 7. To make it run you will have to apply the following settings to the EXE. In the file Properties, on the compatibility tab select these:

- Run LEGORacers.exe in compatibility mode for Windows 98/ME.

- Run in 256 colours.

- Run in 640x480 resolution.

The game should now run fine.

I did none of this... and the game runs fine for me.

"Straight up LEGO Racers will not work on Windows 7" This is not true, should say on some computers.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
Freethinker

Straight up LEGO Racers will not work on Windows 7. To make it run you will have to apply the following settings to the EXE. In the file Properties, on the compatibility tab select these:

- Run in 256 colours.

I tried this, however, it did not work for me. Unfortunately, it does not seem to be the same problem that was being discussed on this thread. When I try to launch the program, it shows me the "LEGO Racers" image (I‘m not sure what the actual term is, I think someone said “splash image“ or something like that), but then tells me the program has stopped working, and gives me the option to check online for a problem (which doesn‘t seem to do anything).

This is the information it gives me, I‘m not sure what it means or if it will help:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: LEGORA~1.ICD

Application Version: 0.0.0.0

Application Timestamp: 37979360

Fault Module Name: LEGORA~1.ICD

Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 37979360

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 000a867c

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 0a9e

Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Additional Information 3: 0a9e

Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

JrMasterModelBuilder

- Run in 256 colours.

I tried this, however, it did not work for me. Unfortunately, it does not seem to be the same problem that was being discussed on this thread. When I try to launch the program, it shows me the "LEGO Racers" image (I‘m not sure what the actual term is, I think someone said “splash image“ or something like that), but then tells me the program has stopped working, and gives me the option to check online for a problem (which doesn‘t seem to do anything).

This is the information it gives me, I‘m not sure what it means or if it will help:

I see you have a SafeDisc version. I would try removing SafeDisc for your ICD.

Freethinker

- Run in 256 colours.

Okay, I‘m not going to lie: I have no idea how to do that...

I would greatly appreciate any assistance you could offer.

JrMasterModelBuilder

- Run in 256 colours.

Okay, I‘m not going to lie: I have no idea how to do that...

I would greatly appreciate any assistance you could offer.

Google how to UnSafeDisc a videogame. There are 1 or 2 programs out there that can remove SafeDisc version 1 (the version of SafeDisc used on LEGO Racers). They'll should tell you how to use them.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I haven't tried running my copy of LR1 on Windows 7 without compatibility, but I did get it to work like this:

Rick-click shortcut:

Compatibility Mode: Windows XP SP3 SP2 (I checked my settings. It is SP2.)

Run As Admin.

It works every time. Also, try putting these setting for all users by clicking the "Change for all users" button near the bottom. I also add the -novideo parameter to skip the videos, because there is a weird bug that goes on without it.

EDIT: I just tried running LR1 on Windows 7 64-bit without an compatibility, and it works! Also, I fixed my old compatibility settings above.

LR1 also works on my Windows 7 computer without compatibility mode, though the colors are weird and it has an odd framerate (jumps between 20 and 50 FPS). It's not perfect but it is somewhat playable.

The only way i got Lr1 to work on my windows 7 compy was to set the compatability mode to "windows 7", oddly enough. It works flawlessly tho.

• 1 month later...

My Windows 7 computer lets me install the game, but when I try to run it, it says Unable to set Message Drain. WTF? Anybody know how to fix this?

• 4 months later...
ExtremeDude2

The game works fine for me in vista (which should pretty much be the same a 7) other than the fact I run in in compatibility mode for 2000.

The game works fine for me in vista (which should pretty much be the same a 7) other than the fact I run in in compatibility mode for 2000.

Do you have an 1999 or 2001 copy? The 2001 copy (which is what I have) will run on 7 without any compatibility mode (and I run 7). The 1999 copy, Modded Lego says that he has to run it in Win 98 (or was it 2000?) on Vista, due to the fact that the 1999 copy was released before XP.

Oh look, we just bumped a 6 month old topic. xD

Modded Lego

Yes that is right, This is the fix:

I tried it out on windows vista (because i have windows vista 8S ) and it works great. :lol: I also have windows xp and the 1999 version dosn't need compadability mode on this windows version. :smug: However you do need to set compadability mode on the windows vista version. All you have to do is put windows 95/98 compadability on and it will work. The only problem that i have seen is that the LEGO movie that shows the falling legos dosn't work. :/ But the strange thing is that all of the other videos work. :o I figured out why it wouldn't run a better solution on my windows xp. It's because the graphics card on my old computer can't handle the higher resolutions for this game. The weird thing is that all of my other games run with high resolutions without a problem, must be the game.Yep, so everything works on the 1999 version for windows vista. I haven't tested it on windows 7 though. :P But the compadability mode settings should be the same. Just set it on windows 95/98 and it will work great. Have fun with Lego Racers 1 when you get it! :love:

Edit: i found one more error. Whenever you want to change your controlls in the options menu it locks up. I don't know how to solve this, but my solution was to put it on a system that works (like the windows xp) and i set the controls there. Then i copied the save game over to the other directory on the new computer. That way you can play the game with your custom controls. This is only on windows vista though, It might work on the windows 7. GOOD LUCK! :lol:

Hope this helps, if you know anyone that can give me the fix for the controller bug then let me know. Also let me know if you have any more questions. :)

JrMasterModelBuilder

1999 version works for me on Windows 7 without any compatibility settings. However, I have never installed the game on a Windows 7 computer, I just play it off my external hard drive. I know that at least the 1999 version writes the save files into the same folder the game installs so it would probably require it be run as administrator to work if it were installed to the default Windows Program Files folder (I believe running an program in compatibility mode on Windows 7 runs it as administrator). Does the 2001 version save this way?

ExtremeDude2

I'm not sure which one I have, but I know that the first LEGO brick video doesn't work and I don't need the CD.

Mr. Eight-Three-One

That's the 2001 version. It has no copy protection, which allows you to play it without the disc.

• 1 month later...

I need help fixing a graphics problem. Items that are supposed to be transparent are not which makes the graphics a little annoying. In addition the powerup images are broken. Googling led to an official lego problem solving page but the solutions presented did not help. I can get a screen if needed, I'd really like to have a clean game. Thanks!

Just for reference here is a link to a copy of the manual: http://www.portal24h.pl/forum/lego-racers-t15809.html

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.