Running Lego Racers 1 On Win7

Cyrem

Straight up LEGO Racers will not work on Windows 7. To make it run you will have to apply the following settings to the EXE. In the file Properties, on the compatibility tab select these:

- Run LEGORacers.exe in compatibility mode for Windows 98/ME.

- Run in 256 colours.

- Run in 640x480 resolution.

The game should now run fine.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JrMasterModelBuilder

• GoobyPls

• le717

• Anonymouse

JrMasterModelBuilder

I still can't get it to run on my newer model XP. :( I tried those settings, but it doesn't help. It works great on my older XP, but whenever I try to launch it on the newer one, I get the splash screen, then nothing. I hear the disc drive slow down too. Any help?

I still can't get it to run on my newer model XP. :( I tried those settings, but it doesn't help. It works great on my older XP, but whenever I try to launch it on the newer one, I get the splash screen, then nothing. I hear the disc drive slow down too. Any help?

Maybe make a disc image and mount it using Daemon Tools or see if there is a No-Disc patch(I'm guess your disc is going to be pretty scratched). Play around with different compatibility modes.

JrMasterModelBuilder

Maybe make a disc image and mount it using Daemon Tools or see if there is a No-Disc patch(I'm guess your disc is going to be pretty scratched). Play around with different compatibility modes.

Hmm. Can't get the ISO from the disc. :( I can copy the files to a folder though. Know any good freebie folder to ISO converters?

Hmm. Can't get the ISO from the disc. :( I can copy the files to a folder though. Know any good freebie folder to ISO converters?

Most disk copying utilities make ISOs out of the disks for in-between, so if you tell a disk copier to copy your LRR disk it should create an ISO. Just hunt it down and copy it to a safe location :P

JrMasterModelBuilder

Most disk copying utilities make ISOs out of the disks for in-between, so if you tell a disk copier to copy your LRR disk it should create an ISO. Just hunt it down and copy it to a safe location :P

I tried, but it fails to create the ISO. :( All I can get is the files to copy to a folder. I need to make the folder into an ISO.

I tried, but it fails to create the ISO. :( All I can get is the files to copy to a folder. I need to make the folder into an ISO.

Uhh, try a different copying tool.

And you have tried google right?

EDIT: Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_ISO_image_software

JrMasterModelBuilder

Uhh, try a different copying tool.

And you have tried google right?

EDIT: Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_ISO_image_software

No program I tried would allow me to make an ISO from the disc, but I used ImgBurn to make an ISO from the folder.

So, I mounted it in Daemon Tools Lite, launched it, got the splash screen, then...

It tells me to insert the disc? :?:

What now?

JrMasterModelBuilder

Meh. No idea, sorry (STOP THE QUOTETREE! xD)

From what I gather, it's some kind of anit-theft measure to check if the disc is in the drive. An ideas how to trick it?

Probably not, mounted ISOs have worked for other members. :|

It probably just has to be the ISO of the disk itself, not just an ISO of the folder.

Typically, it's best to install the game from the ISO so the CD path is correct. I'll bet my bottom dollar that the reason it's not working is because Lego Racers is still looking in your physical drive rather than the virtual one. Make a fresh install (IN ANOTHER LOCATION!) from the ISO and see if that works.

JrMasterModelBuilder

Probably not, mounted ISOs have worked for other members. :|

It probably just has to be the ISO of the disk itself, not just an ISO of the folder.

Could/should they be different?

Typically, it's best to install the game from the ISO so the CD path is correct. I'll bet my bottom dollar that the reason it's not working is because Lego Racers is still looking in your physical drive rather than the virtual one. Make a fresh install (IN ANOTHER LOCATION!) from the ISO and see if that works.

I tried that. Still doesn't work. :(

JrMasterModelBuilder

My copy of LR1 doesn't need a CD to run at all. I got it in a 2-Pack with LR2...

I heard about that. Mine's an original release copy, though. I get the same thing with LEGO Racers 2.

EDIT: Can someone with a copy that doesn't require a disk get me a list of file names and their byte-counts?

• 3 weeks later...
lol username

Well, I have that version. Hey, seeing as you already have a copy of the game, would it be legal to just send you the ISO of the diskless version? I mean, you already have the game and all. Would that be legal or would it count as copyright infringement?

Well, I have that version. Hey, seeing as you already have a copy of the game, would it be legal to just send you the ISO of the diskless version? I mean, you already have the game and all. Would that be legal or would it count as copyright infringement?

That's piracy, which is not allowed on RRU... You can do it (illegally) somewhere else, but not on RRU.

lol username

That's piracy, which is not allowed on RRU... You can do it (illegally) somewhere else, but not on RRU.

Interesting. So even though we both own solid copies of the game that we purchased, it would he illegal to share ISOs? I thought since we wouldn't be cheating LEGO and High Voltage Software out of any money, it would be legal. After all, they are the exact same game.

Interesting. So even though we both own solid copies of the game that we purchased, it would he illegal to share ISOs? I thought since we wouldn't be cheating LEGO and High Voltage Software out of any money, it would be legal. After all, they are the exact same game.

Still not legal for whatever obscure reason... I personally don't mind piracy (though I do kind of look down on pirates), but do it somewhere other than RRU so Cyrem doesn't get legal trouble. We've already had two permanent bannings because of it.

JrMasterModelBuilder

Still not legal for whatever obscure reason... I personally don't mind piracy (though I do kind of look down on pirates), but do it somewhere other than RRU so Cyrem doesn't get legal trouble. We've already had two permanent bannings because of it.

I don't need the whole game, just whatever file is different. (No matter what I do, it always looks on the D drive. :( ) I think that would fall under fair-use as it's only a limited amount of copyrighted material (probably only 1 file that is worthless without the rest). Hence the byte counts I could use that are presumable different.

BTW, the top line of my readme says: "LEGO RACERS V.1.000". I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't change that number, but is the no-disc version different?

I don't need the whole game, just whatever file is different. (No matter what I do, it always looks on the D drive. :( ) I think that would fall under fair-use as it's only a limited amount of copyrighted material (probably only 1 file that is worthless without the rest). Hence the byte counts I could use that are presumable different.

That counts as a no-CD crack and cracks are pretty much in the same category as warez since they're modified and redistributed code. I looked around for a crack for LR1 and I saw one or two, so just search yourself if you want it. I'll never understand why people always go to forums to ask about stuff like this when it's just a few Google searches away.

By the way, no-CD cracks are almost always modified .exe files. Thus it's not a matter of sharing a dependent file, it's a matter of sharing an integral part of the game (the engine itself perhaps?) and thus is definitely illegal.

JrMasterModelBuilder

That counts as a no-CD crack and cracks are pretty much in the same category as warez since they're modified and redistributed code. I looked around for a crack for LR1 and I saw one or two, so just search yourself if you want it. I'll never understand why people always go to forums to ask about stuff like this when it's just a few Google searches away.

By the way, no-CD cracks are almost always modified .exe files. Thus it's not a matter of sharing a dependent file, it's a matter of sharing an integral part of the game (the engine itself perhaps?) and thus is definitely illegal.

I have a problem with download from one of those sites (I know jamesster from another site). BTW, if there is a version that requires no disc, then it wouldn't he a hacked version. And really? You think they changed the EXE? That seems like it would have been a bit of work for a re-release.

BTW, I know I can google it. I do it all the time.

BTW, if there is a version that requires no disc, then it wouldn't he a hacked version. And really? You think they changed the EXE? That seems like it would have been a bit of work for a re-release.

If it's an official re-release they would have the source code and know exactly what to do, so there's less work involved there, but that doesn't mean that a hacked .exe doesn't exist. And yes, it's almost guaranteed to be a modified .exe, and it's really not a lot of work unless there's some stupid stuff like SecuROM involved, but with LEGO games there isn't. Also, some games like Deus Ex have a single variable that controls the CD path (hence why you don't need a crack to play it without a disk), but most Lego games lock in their CD path upon installation which is why cracks or official re-releases are needed. It's all dependent on the engine.

JrMasterModelBuilder

BTW, if there is a version that requires no disc, then it wouldn't he a hacked version. And really? You think they changed the EXE? That seems like it would have been a bit of work for a re-release.

If it's an official re-release they would have the source code and know exactly what to do, so there's less work involved there, but that doesn't mean that a hacked .exe doesn't exist. And yes, it's almost guaranteed to be a modified .exe, and it's really not a lot of work unless there's some stupid stuff like SecuROM involved, but with LEGO games there isn't. Also, some games like Deus Ex have a single variable that controls the CD path (hence why you don't need a crack to play it without a disk), but most Lego games lock in their CD path upon installation which is why cracks or official re-releases are needed. It's all dependent on the engine.

I think it was re-released by a different company. I believe my LEGO Island 1 & 2 re-release were from some discount software company. I think Attention To Detail was already out of business when LR2 was re-released. I don't really know, though.

So they lock in the path on install? How does that work 'cause installing from my emulated E drive didn't help (if you know where it writes, that would help too). :( I'm sure I could find the "how to" (with google ;) ), but do you think it would help if I changed the path to my optical drive to E while I install it, then back when I'm done?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.