Jump to content
  • Run LEGO Rock Raiders with dgVoodoo

This guide is more or less a re-write of many posts of this method that are scattered around the forum with updated links and pictures to make it easier to follow.

First and foremost there is sometimes confusion between dgVoodoo and Cafeteria. These are significantly different and perform entirely different things. dgVoodoo is an graphics API wrapper (or “converter”) for DirectDraw & Direct3D (Part of DirectX 6 - a graphics API developed by Microsoft). Most modern graphics cards are not compatible with games utilising old versions of DirectX, Rock Raiders is one of them. Cafeteria on the other hand is a Mod Launcher that allows easy installation of game resource modifications for LEGO Rock Raiders. It also has the ability to force LEGO Rock Raiders to run in resolutions higher than 640x480. You can use both of these together for optimal graphics improvements. So in summary - dgVoodoo is what makes it possible to run LEGO Rock Raiders on modern graphics cards, not Cafeteria. Cafeteria is merely a toolkit to make an already working game even better.

Secondly, Microsoft has updated Windows Vista through to Windows 10 with patches that remove SafeDisc and SecureRom support from those systems. This is a problem if you own a copy of LEGO Rock Raiders that is copy-protected. If you own the copy-protected version of LEGO Rock Raiders (some of the re-releases did not have copy protection) you'll probably find the game will not run, even after the below steps are follow. What can you do about this? Unfortunatly, you don't have many options. You'll need to aquire a non-copy protected version of the game or attempt to self-sign SafeDisc on your computer. Self-signing SafeDisc is another whole process in itself and isn't exactly recommended, however you can find tutorials to do this with a quick Google Search.

Now that we know what dgVoodoo is and have dealt with the SafeDisc issue, lets begin.

Guide
    While setting this up is really a piece of cake and requires barely any steps, people still can still get it wrong, so please follow the steps below. If you get stuck, try it again. If you're still stuck, reply to this topic.

STEP 1
    Before you begin, you will need to download the following two files. Please note that some Antivirus software may complain that they are viruses. This is a false positive and they are both clean.

• D3DRM - Download
    • dgVoodoo 2.53 (WIP50 is the latest compatible version) -  Download

STEP 2
    If you haven't already, install LEGO Rock Raiders. Once this is done, navigate to it's installation directory (usually: c:\Program Files (x86)\LEGO Media\Games\Rock Raiders ). This folder should look like this:

mWEq-ElkS4ivLXZxlNvoMw.png

STEP 3
    Next, from the D3DRM archive you downloaded before extract the D3DRM DLL File into the install folder.

large.d3drmmove.gif.b097912a5d1811a1b8fa

After that, open the dgVoodoo archive you also downloaded. You will need to extract: dgVoodooCpl.exe and the contents of the MS folder into your installation directory.

large.dvvoodoomove.gif.f2631837882e8bb8c

STEP 4
    You're almost done. We'll now configure dgVoodoo, so double click dgVoodooCpl.exe to start the configuration program. Ensure that you are running the program in Administrator Mode (Right Click > Run as Administrator) or changes may not be saved. When it starts, look at the "Config Folder" path, if it is not the same path as your Rock Raiders install folder, click the ".\" button on the right. Next click the "DirectX" tab. You may want to play with some settings in here, however for this guide we'll just do the important ones. Change the "Resolution" to the same resolution that you are currently using (e.g 1920 x 1080 is common) and uncheck the "dgVoodoo Watermark".  Finally click apply.

large.dvvoodoocfg.gif.32944670e2f6d7d271

STEP 5
    Congratulations, you're set! There's one thing left to do and it's very important. You need to start the game from LegoRR.exe. Afterwards a window will appear, and if you've set it up correctly it will display the driver as "dgVoodoo DirectX Wrapper (display)".

large.runrr.gif.bc515f291457be8e4c993f72

I hope this guide has helped you get your copy of LEGO Rock Raiders to work. Be sure to reply below if it worked for you or if you're having any troubles. Don't forget that if you do get it running, check out some of the great mods for the game around the community.

Enjoy this Guide? Want More?

Then support this content creator, show your appreciation by giving this guide a "Like" below. You can even Buy Cyrem a Coffee!.

Edited by Cyrem

Cyrem

Published

EasyDIFFICULTY
    10769READS

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Thanks for making this tutorial! I am unfortunately experiencing an issue shared by a few in threads detailing this method where when I click LegoRR.exe nothing happens. I re downloaded all the required files from the links you posted and followed your instructions to the letter. I have long since lost my childhood copy of this game and had to resort to downloading it from the isozone and mounted it using virtual clone drive. My folder setup is identical to yours save for the uninstall option where instead of unins000.exe and unins000.dat I have uninst.isu. Does this mean that my copy of the game or installation won't work with this method? I've tried this method using a game folder in program files (x86) and one on the desktop in case there was an issue with administrator permissions but both have the same issue.

Link to comment

@r147 You're welcome! No, the uninstaller won't have any effect on whether the game will run or not. My uninstaller is different as I've repackaged my copy with a new installer that is compatible with newer versions of Windows. Regarding your issue, does the "Mode Selection" window ever appear? Is your LegoRR.icd file 0kb like mine? ( This should mean that the copy you have doesn't need a disc to run - or be mounted in your case ) Have you tried changing the compatibily settings of LegoRR.exe to something like: http://prntscr.com/hpdue6 ?

Link to comment

It might be worthwhile to toss in a note about Win10 + LRR version needing CD = will not run under any known circumstances, in the OP.

Link to comment

@Cyrem I may have spoken a bit too soon unfortunately. The game runs at a nice frame rate and the saves and in game audio work as well. It seems I get a pretty pervasive graphical issue where the screen glitches out whenever there's any 2-D layover text from leaving the cursor still too long or selecting a rock raider, moving the cursor or deselecting makes things go back to normal, however. Aside from that everything works fine but this makes the game almost unplayable. I tried the compatibility settings you suggested and they didn't seem to help. Running in compatibility mode for windows 95 had the intro video run but didn't fix the problem and gave me about 2-3 fps. Any pointers?

9 minutes ago, r147 said:

I actually still have a similar problem to this, though I'm still able to play without too much difficulty as long as I keep doing things. I actually found rotating the game camera stopped it for a time. I haven't really looked into seeing if I can stop this completely, maybe it's worth while going to the official dgVoodoo site and downloading v2.53 or the WIP version to see if that does anything to help?

1 hour ago, r147 said:

@Cyrem Using v2.53 of dgVoodoo seems to have done the trick! Thanks!

Might switch over to that version and test myself, thanks.

18 hours ago, r147 said:

@Cyrem Thanks for the quick reply! I found a different file online that didn't need the CD and it worked!

Could you post a link to the download for the file you described in the quote? I think this may be my issue.

14 minutes ago, RRL0044 said:

No, that is not permitted. Per the forum rules, posting, uploading, or sharing of illegal content (be it due to copyright, piracy, etc) is not permitted. This is for the safety of all members (you know, viruses and malware) and to prevent any possible action with the law. :)

3 minutes ago, le717 said:

Did I say "post"? I meant send* :3

5 minutes ago, RRL0044 said:

Did I say "post"? I meant send* :3

Haha, in any case, you'll have to do outside of RRU. If you've got the game already, rather than downloading a copy, you'd probably be better off just looking for no-cd version on the internet.

Link to comment

@Cyrem Thank you for this guide it really helped :) . (BTW: I was having the same graphical issues as "r147" (before following this guide), but "dgVoodoo 2.53" fixed my problems and it now runs a lot better)

23 hours ago, sebbe12 said:

No problem, glad it's working for you :)

Link to comment

When I run the game with Voodoo the colors are inverted until I open the task manager (not sure why this works) does anyone know a fix to this?

Also is there a way to play with the 4:3 aspect ratio in fullscreen using Voodoo?

Also also as a helpful tip, for the older versions of the disc (like mine) replacing the exe with the re-release exe file will fix the problem.

3 hours ago, Syobnaf said:

I assume this doesn't occur in windowed mode? Sounds exactly like the issue Age of Empires has, you need to end explorer.exe then run the game in fullscreen and it should appear fine.

Link to comment

Yes, in windowed mode the game behaves properly. I tried using a .bat file with the text...

taskkill /F /IM Explorer.exe

LegoRR.EXE

Start explorer.exe

but it didn't resolve the issue. I probably could manually close explorer.exe each time, but opening the task manager is much simpler. Thanks anyway though!

Link to comment

Hey, just used the dgvoodoo method, have everything setup right it seems(have an uninstall.icu instead of .dat and .exe though, not sure that it's a problem though). However, while playing the game, the game freezes about 15 minutes in every time. All the sounds still play, and I can give commands and open menus, but the image just freezes. Any idea as to why this is happening?

18 hours ago, eboz713 said:

It does seem strange, does your copy of LRR run of a disc per chance? The uninstall files are limited to my copy, you don't need to worry about those.

Link to comment

hi, good evening for everyone. Coud you please sendme a copy(or link with the game) of lego rock raiders for pc? Its for my children, thanks!

On 1/15/2018 at 1:37 AM, Cyrem said:

Sorry for the late response, I've had exams this past week. I downloaded these files back in 2014 and had a working setup on windows 7 that would freeze up like every 3 hours, but it was enough time to get through missions(Baz's Mod). I don't have a disc or any virtual disc mounted, it just runs from these files. Could it be that downloading or reinstalling from somewhere would fix this up? The files I started with came from the back up I made of all the game files before installing Baz's Mod, so they are the originals from what I downloaded back then (and if it's an issue with forum rules, I do own the game, it was easier to download than go downstairs and find the disc in the basement at the time, so if disc is recommended I can track that down to remedy the situation as well)

5 hours ago, agustin said:

Hello, sorry but RRU doesn't allow links to full game downloads or the like - it should be easy enough to find elsewhere on the internet though.

Hello,

I am new to the forums, but have been itching to play Rock Raiders for a while now. I tried your guide and I am running into some issues with dgvoodoo. When I hit "Apply", the button does not go black like it normally does to "register" the changes. I notice that when I close dgvoodoo and open it again, the path name has changed back to what it was before I hit "./" and the resolution has switched back to "Unforced". So for some reason it's not saving the changes. Have you ever run into this issue or know how to take care of it? I am using Windows 8.1, so I don't know if that's part of the problem. Also sorry if this is not the place for this question, I just figured it's dgvoodoo related, and hopefully someone else can benefit as well. Thanks in advance!

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Already have an account? Sign in here.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.