• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lair

• Sonic322

• Henry Lee

• lol username

NO!! To me, the whole point of this topic is to say PM sucks!! I mean, where do they get there water in the lava/volcano place??

OK.... your gonna say I'm spamming AGAIN!!

lol username

Am I saying Rock Raiders sucks?

No.

Am I saying Power Miners sucks?

No.

Am I saying they both have pros and cons that even things out, and it's a simple matter of taste?

Yes. Debating on which theme is better is totally pointless, as nostalgia ALWAYS wins. If Power Miners came in 1999, and Rock Raiders came in 2009, people would be rooting for Power Miners. The brain has a tendency to see the more nostalgic things as better, as over time, we forget the bad memories and cherish the better ones. Also, LEGO as a whole has shifted style recently, it isn't just Power Miners. Starting around 2000 but not really kicking up until 2002-2003, LEGO has been trying to catch more attention with flashy advertisements, bright colors (Power Miners taking this to the extreme), and quick build times, as kids these days seem to have the attention span of a squirrel with ADD. A good example would be Slizers vs Hero Factory - Slizers had lots of parts and an enjoyable build, but nearly no story. Hero Factory is the opposite, with a whole TV series coming out September and builds so simple that you can do it with your eyes closed. I don't like it, but that's just how it is now. So, combine shift in style + nostalgia = Old always wins. But if you were to ask the average kid if he liked RR or PM better, he would go for PM. As Greg Farshtey put it, "We're in business to sell toys, not nostalgia".

I wanted to punch him when I read that quote...

Did it ever occur to anybody that the Granite Grinder may not have been a rip-off, but a throw-back for the older fans?

If one of the PM's mechs were called The Granite Grinder I would accept that, but they gave that name to a tracked Small Digger.

Also, I would love to know how the Rock Raiders keep their large drills so shiny after drilling through hard rock all day.

They don't. They replace the drills when they feel like taking glamour shots of the equipment.

Also, the Rock Raiders monsters had only 1 joint and no eye printing, and were 2 pieces and one solid color: Brown. Yet the Crystal King has 3 colors (Dark and light grey and transparent green), 16 joints, eye printing, and over 150 pieces - if you don't like the design, you can change it.

The toilet monsters are three pieces of grey plastic connected to a hollow blob of translucent plastic with immovable legs. It's not too much different from the Rock Monster except that the other arm moves and you can take a dump in it. The Crystal King is completely different because it was designed as a set and not a prop that got thrown into a few sets like the RM was.

Really, I would like the Power Miners more if they had a colour scheme that didn't kill your eyes and if they had the silver outfits for all of the miners. Silver miners and orange vehicles would have worked. Some of the sets are poorly designed, but LRR's promo sets aren't that great either so I can't complain. The PM Granite Grinder is actually my favorite set since it's easily converted to have a rotatable drill and there's a few places for tool storage, especially if you take one of the fuel tanks off. Maybe it's because it resembles something you would expect to see in a mining operation, unlike a weird motorbike with sawblades for wheels.

Edit due to massive amounts of posts: For me, LRR looks better because the designs are more consistent. It's probably because they used the same cab and buckets on everything, but you could recolor an LRR set however you wanted and you would still be able to tell that it's an LRR set. Power Miners have some really goofy sets like that little mech with the Docs-equivalent. You could recolor that and stick anime hair onto the fig and call it an Exo Force set, or color the mini water squirter truck white, put an astronaut in the driver's seat, change the water to a laser, and call it a Mars Mission set. It's not really nostalgia since I only owned the Loader Dozer when they first came out and none of the others until about two years ago (and I didn't really like the Dozer too much), it's that I appreciate the theme that the LRR models have rather than the "what gimmick can we put into this set?" theme that PM seems to have. Dynamite missiles? Water? For pete's sake, WATER?!? Give me a break. I know water cools down lava, but that's after it's above ground. You're not going to cool down magma with water.

Also, I always thought that the Mining Lasers would carve out holes in walls rather than shooting at a single spot, which as you said would only leave a small hole.

I think the mining laser, if it lived up to it's name as a laser

because if you think of a laser then you think of a beam of light that has an on/off button

when you think of a blaster then you think of a burst of light

so the mining laser should actually be called the mining blaster

theextractor

Wow that is one ugly lego set.

Sarcasm: i really like the way the bright orange compliments the bright blue. the bright red and bright green really look fantastic together!

plus the miners are wearing some kind of shiny metal space suit so they fit right in with the huge mess that is power miners!

seriously, who cares about realism or functionality, that is one dang ugly set.

|

:sparks:

that is one dang ugly set.

Quite possibly so. Or maybe not. Nah, it is kinda.

Sarcasm: plus the miners are wearing some kind of shiny metal space suit so they fit right in with the huge mess that is power miners!

ಠ_ಠ

What's wrong with silver? It's better than blue.

speaking of blue

if you look back of a rock raiders game case (PC)

then if you look ar the image with the oldest interface (the one with all the vehicles on it)

I beleave you can see rock raiders wearing blue outfits and not orange

this leads me to think that the Rock Raiders originally had Blue colored outfits when the game had it earliest interface

Definitely Rock Raiders.

I could see the idea (and I could hope) that LEGO would possibly bring the series back in the distant future, once the Power Miners idea wears off.

I could imagine a newer game with Microsoft Kinect, Playstation Move, and Wii support, in order to better manage your team (Of course there would be a PC-CD or Games for Windows version). With more levels, updated graphics, new vehicles, and more character customization. With all the new technology out today, this is a game just screaming to be remade...

But of course, the Power Miners need to die first. I say that we devise a plan. While they're all underground digging, we deploy massive amounts of explosives to blow up the cavern. Then we simply blame it on the LEGO Mindstorms robot, saying that he malfunctioned and went mad. Problem solved! :D

I could imagine a newer game with Microsoft Kinect, Playstation Move, and Wii support, in order to better manage your team (Of course there would be a PC-CD or Games for Windows version).

Power Miners is Rock Raiders with gimmicks and a shoddy color scheme. Making a Rock Raiders game with gimmicks is just turning it into Power Miners, and you don't need motion to manage anything in the first place. So many RTSes just use a mouse because it works and players don't need to flail around in front of a camera with almost a second of lagtime to tell a unit to shovel some rubble. OH HEY YOU CAN TELL THEM TO SHOVEL BY PRETENDING TO SHOVEL IN REAL LIFE AND THE CAMERA/WIIMOTE SENSES THAT AND DOES IT INSTEAD OF YOU JUST CLICKING A BUTTON. DAMN. This is why I hate current-gen games.

With more levels, updated graphics, new vehicles, and more character customization. With all the new technology out today, this is a game just screaming to be remade...

So... an overhaul mod or ORR. I mean, I agree with what you're saying, but mods like RtPU are basically doing what you're describing, sans the character customization. We have people skilled in all of those departments and we're only limited by GODS. However, ORR is supposed to eliminate GODS entirely and should have unlimited customization.

When I first heard of PM: "What the [Please Talk Properly], that's just an RR remake!"

After I informed me about PM: "Yes, just a remake."

After I gazed on some of the sets: "Ugly, can't understand why LEGO does this kind of stuff or why kids want to play with this."

True, my first PC-Game was LEGO Rock Raiders when I was eight years old and nearly ten years could manifested the thought, that RR is just cool. ^^

But I like the colors, story, buildings, figures and vehicles of RR rather then the ones of the new sets. Truly, I like the old LEGO-Sets rather then the new sets with their thousands and thousands of special tech pieces. :(

I could imagine a newer game with Microsoft Kinect, Playstation Move, and Wii support, in order to better manage your team (Of course there would be a PC-CD or Games for Windows version).

Power Miners is Rock Raiders with gimmicks and a shoddy color scheme. Making a Rock Raiders game with gimmicks is just turning it into Power Miners, and you don't need motion to manage anything in the first place. So many RTSes just use a mouse because it works and players don't need to flail around in front of a camera with almost a second of lagtime to tell a unit to shovel some rubble. OH HEY YOU CAN TELL THEM TO SHOVEL BY PRETENDING TO SHOVEL IN REAL LIFE AND THE CAMERA/WIIMOTE SENSES THAT AND DOES IT INSTEAD OF YOU JUST CLICKING A BUTTON. DAMN. This is why I hate current-gen games.

Well, I was thinking more along the lines of point-to-click on an object. Actually doing the motion would be terrible:

Player: *Starts shoveling*

Rock Raider: *eats a sandwich, walks over erosion*

Of course, the player could always use the standard controller (or in the Wii's case, a GC controller or Nunchuk.) to control the cursor or menu selection. If the player wanted to play with a keyboard\mouse combination, the PC\GfW version is always an option.

So... an overhaul mod or ORR. I mean, I agree with what you're saying, but mods like RtPU are basically doing what you're describing, sans the character customization. We have people skilled in all of those departments and we're only limited by GODS. However, ORR is supposed to eliminate GODS entirely and should have unlimited customization.

I love the ideas that are going into ORR, and I think that it will be a massively fun thing once it's done... but eventually, in a few years, it'd be nice for the series to have a full-fledged comeback from LEGO themselves, with the comedic and cute touch that more recent LEGO games have had. That way, more kids today will experience the mining adventures I had years ago, in the common form that video games are in today.

• 3 weeks later...

slug sez:

screw rockraiders and powerminers, i just wanna all my crystals back :|

No, no crystals for you until you take back what you said about Rock Raiders. (Power Miners can stay the way it is for all I care)

• 5 months later...

LZ please violently dispose of the first offender ,my CC will dispose of the other

I personally hate the PM color scheme, its like Lego couldn't decide whether to use Christmas or Halloween color. The name granite grinder infuriates me every time I read it, did Lego run out of ideas again?

Um... hello? they did that because they stand out in the dark, Lime Green you could see in the dark and Bright Orange you could see in the dark.

where as old grey and Teal you could not see in the dark, although the Yellow + yellow and black stripes are on the right track. 8S im gonna have to think this over.

• 2 years later...

Yes. and they won't discontinue power miners, because no matter what some people think, power miners do sell. And RR is just over. Besides, if they recontinued RR, they'd probably tighten enforcement on copyright breaking, or game modification. So I don't actually want RR to be recontinued, even though I prefer it.

Now:power miners has been discontinued

• 1 year later...

I don't get why people hate PM. I mean, they have rare colors, awesome parts, good models, good minifigs, lots of EC colors for MOCs, and the 2010 minifigs have awesome silver suits and armor....

I agree. What's wrong with LEGO Power Miners???? It's great.

Mind you, I still think Rock Raiders is good though. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.