.gsc files in LEGO Star Wars: TCS PC character customization

sinftw

I am having trouble trying to mod existing character customizer faces. After extracting all my .DAT files and making my game moddable, I was able to edit all custom character textures except the head and hat textures. The head/hat files are all in .GSC format which I cannot seem to find out how to change them into my own textures. I was wondering if anyone had either a .dds to .gsc file converter for the game or had any wraparounds to modding these face textures. Any help is greatly appreciated!

P.S.: I am very bad at explaining so any further explaining will be tended to if asked :)

I am not sure if there are images in all the .gsc files. Sometimes there are - sometimes not.

But in general .gsc and .ghg files are containing 3D data. This is also for the faces. Here is an example of Aaylas face:

c90lEVr.png

I found also a lot of 'relative' vertices that are used for the animations of the faces. It will not be easy to mod these.

I do not know if there are also characters without .gsc files. Tuskenraider maybe. But I think you will have to look into the .cd files.

With the .gsc files used for the heads of character customizations, most of them just include one to three .dds files when converted. I was thinking if I could just have the game read the HEAD folder like the BODY or the LEGS folders are treated, new head textures could be implemented easily, without worrying about face animations. Is their a way to do this?

lol username

I don't remember any of the customizable characters in The Complete Saga having animated faces... I thought they were all static textures. Or was that just LSW2? Or is that just in the customizer itself, not when you're actually playing as the characters...?

I am sorry. I did not read the topic header precisely. The info I gave is from SW3.

The files you want to change should be easy to change. Just exchange the dds files in the gsc files with a hex editor. Before you do that you have to check the header (size, mipmap count, etc) of the original dds and create one with the same parameters. That should result in a dds with exactly the same size.

59 minutes ago, Sluicer said:

Just exchange the dds files in the gsc files with a hex editor.

Could you elaborate/demonstrate what you mean? I have very little experience with hex editing. I believe you mean to turn the gsc files into a dds of the exact same size as the gsc with the same mipmap count or something along those lines. This info helps a lot, btw!

lol username

The GSCs contain several DDS files within themselves. You'd open your new custom DDS in a hex editor (perhaps HxD), copy its data, then open the GSC, find where the DDS you want to replace is, and paste your custom DDS file/data over it. This will only work if your custom DDS is the same size (was exported with the same settings as) the one you're replacing.

18 hours ago, Terrev said:

The GSCs contain several DDS files within themselves. You'd open your new custom DDS in a hex editor (perhaps HxD), copy its data, then open the GSC, find where the DDS you want to replace is, and paste your custom DDS file/data over it. This will only work if your custom DDS is the same size (was exported with the same settings as) the one you're replacing.

Thank you! One more question, because i think the ALL folder in the WEIRDO folder has all the head textures in one .gsc. do i have to change the hex data for the same texture in that one too for my custom head texture to work?

lol username
3 minutes ago, sinftw said:

Thank you! One more question, because i think the ALL folder in the WEIRDO folder has all the head textures in one .gsc. do i have to change the hex data for the same texture in that one too for my custom head texture to work?

I don't know as I've never done it, play around with it and see if you have to.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.