Rock Raiders (workers) dissappearing

PyroBillie

So I recently got LRR to install correctly and it's working on my Windows 10, full screen, with voodoo.

I played and finished several levels, no problems.

After some levels suddenly out of nothing, all my workers start to dissapear, the game still functions.

The structures stay, the camera still works, I can build new buildings, i can teleport in new workers but they dissappear instantly, i can call in vehicles....

But I'm stuck since all my workers are gone...

I've tried searching google and these forums for something relevant, but I can't seem to find anything.

Does anyone have an idea what is going on, and what might fix it?

EDIT:

Maybe some more background info:

Window 10 Pro 64bit

Intel core i5

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M

Running game with:

Compatibility with Windows XP SP2

Reduced color mode

Override high DPI scaling

Run as administrator

(these setttings made running it succesfull and without flickering and without transparant bugs for me)

I've tried multiple times and different levels, it keeps happening.

I've tried to look for a common thing to occur, what might cause it, but it seems totally random (not related to explosives, upgrading, settings,...)

This happens to me sometimes both when messing around in tutorial levels with the scripting turned off, and in some very long custom levels. Never had it happen in a default level, and I don't think we've ever identified a root for it.

• Administrators
ShadowDraikana

I've had this show up twice and with very specific things happening.  This happens occasionally when unloading vehicles from the Tunnel Transport, and during the custom map Odyssey.  Odyssey triggers it with a lone Raider on an island with a crystal.  After the Raiders disappear, the crystal can be seen moving around under the water (use the radar panel).  Only times I've seen it in action.

8 hours ago, Cyrem said:

How long into the game does this happen?

I'd say between 5-10 minutes in the level, I also tried restarting the game.

Restarting the level in game, without closing the game, works again for 5-10minutes before they dissapear again.

I try completing the level as fast as possible, but currently I'm stuck as I can't complete any levels.

On 13-2-2018 at 8:15 AM, PyroBillie said:

I'd say between 5-10 minutes in the level, I also tried restarting the game.

Restarting the level in game, without closing the game, works again for 5-10minutes before they dissapear again.

I try completing the level as fast as possible, but currently I'm stuck as I can't complete any levels.

Yesterday I had some hope, that it was fixed, as I completed 2 missions without it happening, but today the game crashed twice and my workers dissapeared 3 times after 10 mintues, kinda ... very ... frustrating

11 hours ago, Jessietail said:

this is the default unmodded game, right? even if not, it's bizarre it's happening that often

It is indeed unmodded.

I'm running the VooDoo driver (the logo is visible when I startup the game)

In my Nvidia config settings I chose use my GeForce card over the integrated Intel card for LegoRR, is that okay?

Oh boy, it keeps happening today as well.

Is there a chance that it won't happen anymore if I mod the game? :P

I was thinking about change stuff about the settings anyway,

(like can I skip the intro video? also is there a way to save in level? and maybe put the game speed to max by default?)

4 hours ago, PyroBillie said:

like can I skip the intro video?

Delete or rename the .AVI files in your Data\AVI folder, or rename the whole folder. The game doesn't care. It will try to read them from disc if you have it in your PC. If you need the disc to run the game, you can modify the Lego.CFG file to point the game to nonexistent files.

also is there a way to save in level?

Nope

put the game speed to max by default?

No, but you can enable debug keys and press Numpad 7 to set the game to 300% speed, then use Numpad 8 and 9 to decrease and increase it at will. It can't go higher than 300%.

2 hours ago, Cirevam said:

you can modify the Lego.CFG file to point the game to nonexistent files.

You should just be able to just set this property to TRUE, within the CFG:

DontPlayAvis	FALSE

On 15/02/2018 at 9:52 PM, PyroBillie said:

I'm running the VooDoo driver (the logo is visible when I startup the game)

I recommend running the dgVoodoo config tool and playing with some of the settings, including disabling that.

11 hours ago, Cirevam said:

No, but you can enable debug keys and press Numpad 7 to set the game to 300% speed, then use Numpad 8 and 9 to decrease and increase it at will. It can't go higher than 300%.

Thanks, I got this to work

9 hours ago, Cyrem said:

You should just be able to just set this property to TRUE, within the CFG:

DontPlayAvis	FALSE

I recommend running the dgVoodoo config tool and playing with some of the settings, including disabling that.

Thanks as well, this also worked, I've tried several times again today, but still the workers kept dissapearing, I got really far tho

Any idea what setting I should try to change?

can you record and upload a video of what's going on? i dunno if it'd help but i guess i wanna make sure it's the same thing i'm thinking of and there's not anything else odd going on.

12 hours ago, Jessietail said:

can you record and upload a video of what's going on? i dunno if it'd help but i guess i wanna make sure it's the same thing i'm thinking of and there's not anything else odd going on.

You're lucky I have recording software and a youtube channel ^^

Here you go: (start to dissapear at the 2:15 mark in video, thats 8min in game time)

I really hope this leads to something, I currently have the .cfg set to unlock all levels, so I can at least try another mission, but they have the same problem.

• Like 2

okay, that's definitely not what I was thinking of. the bug I'm thinking of causes AI to get screwy and ignore tasks, and then when any individual Raider actively tries to do a task they start spinning up into the air and off in a random direction on the map – in a way you can still see their health bar moving around, and them repeating some weird rapid motion on the radar – not all Raiders blink out of existence all at once. it seems like it happened to all of them at once, but waited for them to finish their current animation before it erased them, hence why all the runners disappeared quickly, followed by the ones picking things up, and the one resting a long while after the rest. I have never seen anything like this before.

the only thing I notice is that the Raider who shovels the Power Path disappears first, with their thought turning into a "need to go" arrow the frame before they do, while some other Raider decides to get a hammer – absolutely no clue what you could infer from that.

It is interesting to note that the game thinks the raiders are alive and kicking - the oxygen goes down, and you can't teleport any more (because you're over the 10-raider oxygen limit).

They also don't show up on the radar (2:46)...

I've only seen this bug, as others have said, with unloading vehicles out of the Tunnel Transport, but you say this occurs on all levels....

I'm guessing that if you were able to teleport another raider down they'd instantly vanish out of existence.

There is one thing though, and that is that my experience with this bug is that vehicles are unaffected. I also recall you had a brief half a second moment after they teleported down to tell them to go into  a vehicle, at which point they'd be fine.

This suggests a modding solution.

- Start all levels with all buildings (as RRs are needed for the barriers to be placed?) - although the Super Teleport is practically useless apart from the Loader Dozer (& you can tell it to teleport in at the Teleport Pad with mods). So if you did that you'd only need Support Station, Upgrade Station, Power Station, Teleport Pad, and Tool Store.

- Start all levels with some vehicles.

- To get rid of RRs who have bugged and despawned, you could specify a HealthDecayRate (which does exactly what you think - lowers health over time. It's used for monsters in vanilla) in the .cfg. Unfortunately that means your drivers would also die eventually. However, we know it's possible to create a lazer that heals people - the difficulty is aiming for the raider in the vehicle, and not the vehicle itself - to my knowledge this isn't even possible? It's possible to change HealthDecayRate with level, but that hardly helps.

- Monsters can be manually zapped with the lasers on Small Mobile Laser Cutters, but you'll need to edit their parameters in the .cfg or else they're totally useless.

Can you test on Rocky Horror? Drill the initial wall just south of your Tool Store and you should get 3 energy crystals. Build a Support Station (if you reach 0 oxygen the game ends, with  or without NoNerps), teleport up the Geological Center (for crystals!) teleport down a Small Digger and wait for the bug to strike. Is your Small Digger still controllable?

You might also want to edit the OxygenCoef of the Pilot { in the CFG file to 0 so you can teleport as many raiders as necessary when testing. Stick to the normal 9 until the bug happens, then see what happens when you teleport more.

13 hours ago, Jessietail said:

okay, that's definitely not what I was thinking of. 

the only thing I notice is that the Raider who shovels the Power Path disappears first, with their thought turning into a "need to go" arrow the frame before they do, while some other Raider decides to get a hammer – absolutely no clue what you could infer from that.

Thanks anyway for looking in to it, you all seem really nice people helping a noob like me.

12 hours ago, aidenpons said:

I'm guessing that if you were able to teleport another raider down they'd instantly vanish out of existence.

There is one thing though, and that is that my experience with this bug is that vehicles are unaffected. I also recall you had a brief half a second moment after they teleported down to tell them to go into  a vehicle, at which point they'd be fine.

1) Yes, indeed if there was still room for a rock raider, I could call him down, I'd see him coming down, but the moment he walks out of the tool store, he would vanish.

2) Although you mean well, I appreciate the help, this seems like alot of work, (I don't mean this  in any negative way, I'm just not looking forward to it :P )

8 hours ago, Cirevam said:

You might also want to edit the OxygenCoef of the Pilot { in the CFG file to 0 so you can teleport as many raiders as necessary when testing. Stick to the normal 9 until the bug happens, then see what happens when you teleport more.

I'll try to all the stuff said, but I'm not sure when or how soon, I'll get all that to work.

Another thought came to me just now. It's a longshot, but have you tried an overhaul mod like Baz's Mod? Some of them come with their own sets of bugs since they change so many things. At least it would indicate that something is wrong with the stock game. Oh yeah, have you tried reinstalling too?

• 9 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.