Cut in-game dialogue - Island 2 - insert to game?

tomfyhr

Some dialogues in the game´s archive are not presentable in the game´s PC version, even though all  lines of dialogues were localized, due to a bug.

Is there any way to insert those lines back into the PC version? 

I do not know if those lines are presented in the PS1 version. 

This could be kinda difficult. First step would be to check how the dialouges are managed in the game files. When the texts are linked or referenced by other files (scripts or something?), you can try changing and reactivating them.

This way you should know if the dialouges are activated via the game files or from the game itself. When the dialouges are hidden by the game, it's getting a little bit more complex. Then you have to use common reverse engineering techniques to find cross-references in the exe to the texts. Tracing back the subroutines with an disassembler like OllyDbg will get you to the desired function or memory region where conjunctions are done.

Good luck!

9 hours ago, tomfyhr said:

Some dialogues in the game´s archive are not presentable in the game´s PC version, even though all  lines of dialogues were localized, due to a bug.

Not sure if you're saying all the unused dialogue is "due to a bug", or if you're saying it was all translated and recorded in other languages "due to a bug", or what, but no option makes any sense.

Chances are they just had the people doing other languages do exactly the same thing as for English, far less messy than sorting through everything and figuring out what few scraps weren't used in-game. There's even a good chance they did some or all localization before the game was complete enough to know what would be used (there's certainly English text/voice acting that's used but mentions things cut or changed in the final game).

1 hour ago, mumboking said:

This may help:

Awesome! Didn't know that!

Looks like this is the interesting part here:

40 0.0 pepp saytext LECSIN04 50

I didn't take a deeper look at those files for now, but it seems that 04 50 is some kind of index to a text/speech table.

1 hour ago, mumboking said:

This may help:

Does that mean that all dialogues have already been inserted? 

29 minutes ago, Terrev said:

Not sure if you're saying all the unused dialogue is "due to a bug", or if you're saying it was all translated and recorded in other languages "due to a bug", or what, but no option makes any sense.

Chances are they just had the people doing other languages do exactly the same thing as for English, far less messy than sorting through everything and figuring out what few scraps weren't used in-game. There's even a good chance they did some or all localization before the game was complete enough to know what would be used (there's certainly English text/voice acting that's used but mentions things cut or changed in the final game).

I meant that all lines of dialogues in the game and the game archives were localized, even though some of the lines do not appear inside the game. I believe that the reason that the lines of dialogue do not appear in the game, is because of a bug. 

52 minutes ago, tomfyhr said:

I believe that the reason that the lines of dialogue do not appear in the game, is because of a bug.

Could you specify exactly which lines of dialogue you're referring to?

14 minutes ago, Terrev said:

Could you specify exactly which lines of dialogue you're referring to?

The only one I remember on the top of my head is the "Dr.Pepper" joke, which was dubbed. 

4 minutes ago, tomfyhr said:

The only one I remember on the top of my head is the "Dr.Pepper" joke, which was dubbed. 

It's not a bug that's missing. They specifically removed it from the cutscene. It's in the PS1 beta we have, and would be trivial to mod back in on PC.

1 hour ago, Terrev said:

It's in the PS1 beta we have, and would be trivial to mod back in on PC.

I actually just tried that and it messed up the first Adventurers Island cutscene somehow...

Files edited:
LEGO Island 2\_data\messages\ai\English\ADV02.str (To add the subtitles for those voice clips)
LEGO Island 2\_data\z16PYA\cutscene\adv02.txt (To add the relevant calls to trigger the speech. Remove the adv02.cut file too.)

I took some commented out stuff from adv02psx.txt

EDIT: The messed up other cutscene might be because I didn't extract all of the files from those bod/bob files.

29 minutes ago, Terrev said:

It's not a bug that's missing. They specifically removed it from the cutscene. It's in the PS1 beta we have, and would be trivial to mod back in on PC.

Strange that they dubbed it then. 

In movies, they almost never dubb deleted scenes and the dubb is always released a bit after the original language release. 

I don´t know how it is with video games, but I would assume that the developer team would have known after the release of the English version what content would be cut. 

Still, it would be a neat thing to have the cutscenes in the game since they obviously went to great length to dubb it. 

14 minutes ago, tomfyhr said:

I don´t know how it is with video games, but I would assume that the developer team would have known after the release of the English version what content would be cut.

I think all the speech was recorded (for all the languages) before the game was finished.

Ok, well I got the subtitles to appear for the Doctor Pepper joke, but the audio does not play.

Looking in the exe, it seems it has a list of the speech files it will play... ADCSAM05 and ADCSAM06 are not in there.

Seems exe modding is required. This could break the game.

The str file is like:

ADCSAM01:1407Oh, you startled me!   
ADCSAM02:1408Hello Johnny and Miss Read.

The part before the colon is the name that the line is referred to by in the cutscene file.

The number after the colon (right padded with spaces to 4 characters) is the index in the exe's list of speech files.

After that is the subtitle itself.

Great that you found that out!

By the way, there is a little trick for injecting custom commands in the exe: On the specific offset you can place a JMP command which you lead to and empty space in the exe (There is always huge space left free). There, you add your custom commands and on the end, you jump back to the old offset + 1.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.