LI2ME - Lego Island 2 Mesh Exporter 0.1.0

pivke

LI2ME - Lego Island 2 Mesh Exporter Plugin
LI2ME is just another modding tool for Lego Island 2. This is a plugin written for Milkshape 3D to save you custom models and meshes in Lego Island 2's *.MSH-format. I decided to develop this plugin for Milkshape 3D, because it gives you huge ability in interacting with many other formats. My first choice was to develop a plugin for Blender, but as it's not supporting that many formats it would have been not as flexible as with Milkshape 3D.

Features

This plugin cares for everything itself. That means that even your meshgrouping and texture coordinates are overtaken into the *.MSH-format. Furthermore it will calculate normals in realtime. You can chose between smooth and straight normals, which will lets you control wether to let your model appear more edgy or more softly ingame. Since the version 0.1.0 it supports collision files. That means, you can tick a checkbox on the plugin which will create a *.col-file besides the *.msh-file with the same name. For now, it will simply generate a single axis-aligned bounding box around your model.

Screenshots

Download

You can download the plugin on the Sourceforge page

(This plugin is, just like LI2GE and LI2TA, opensource and under GNU-GPL license)

Installation

To use this plugin you need to download Milkshape 3D.  You need to activate Milkshape 3D by probably buying it. Please mention that we won't discuss here on how to crack that software or where to get serials. The whole export plugin is combined in one single DLL-file. From the downloaded archive, just copy the "msMSHExporter.dll" and paste it into your Milkshape 3D installation folder "../Program Files/MilkShape 3D 1.8.4/*paste here*". Be sure to not change the name of the plugin ("msMSHExporter.dll"). Milkshape 3D is registrating new plugins by it's first letters "msXXX.dll".

Bugs & Improvements

LI2ME isn't outgoing tested. When you have improvements, problems or you are encountering bugs, please feel free to create a ticket on the SourceForge project page. Remember that you are helping other people too with your commitment.

Have fun! :-)

• lol username featured this topic
Fluffy Cupcake
15 hours ago, Cirevam said:

This is absolutely mint! I don't have LI2 anymore, but I could help create content for it with this plugin.

Rock Raiders map in Li2! :nubby:

I can imagine people wanting to get the original LEGO Island map in this engine first, although we'd need a .col exporter first.

16 hours ago, Xir said:

How does multi-texture objects work? Or is it single material objects for now?

Full multi-texture support. When your imported mesh has texture coordinates (even group-wise), they will be orginially put 1:1 into the *.msh-file. There are several tricks to use 1 texture for a whole model, that originally had multiple textures. You still need to find the corresponding texture.

I already found some information in the GRPL-section of mesh files were indexes to the textures are stored. Didn't get any deeper into it for now.

16 minutes ago, Xir said:

Rock Raiders map in Li2! :nubby:

I can imagine people wanting to get the original LEGO Island map in this engine first, although we'd need a .col exporter first.

Sure that's possible. At the moment I'm trying to crack up the collision-files. I already got it working and go to change bounding box sizes. When I have time to get a little deeper into it, I will expand the plugin to automatically generate custom collision files.

15 hours ago, Cirevam said:

This is absolutely mint! I don't have LI2 anymore, but I could help create content for it with this plugin.

I'm glad you like it! I would love to see some custom models!

By the way; Sorry for the double post, I'm way to dumb to use the multi-quotation function of this forum.

Fluffy Cupcake

*starts throwing around energy crystals*

large.Screenshot_1.png.772dbc56406e808f1

First time I've ever cracked open milkshape so I'ma have to learn about the materialing for it for multi-materials.

7 minutes ago, Xir said:

*starts throwing around energy crystals*

large.Screenshot_1.png.772dbc56406e808f1

First time I've ever cracked open milkshape so I'ma have to learn about the materialing for it for multi-materials.

xD

On 12/8/2017 at 9:55 AM, pivke said:

I already found some information in the GRPL-section of mesh files were indexes to the textures are stored. Didn't get any deeper into it for now.

I'd be interesting in hearing more about this - the common thought has been that info is in the exe, or somewhere other than the mesh files, going by the results you get when you swap mesh files around.

The plugin now supports collision files (*.col). I updated the starting post with all neccessary information on how it works and what is possible.

On 9.12.2017 at 7:12 PM, Terrev said:

I'd be interesting in hearing more about this - the common thought has been that info is in the exe, or somewhere other than the mesh files, going by the results you get when you swap mesh files around.

That's probably right. For now I can't confirm that the textures are assigned inside exe. In the meshfiles I found an integer (inside GRPL-section), which lets you change between textures. But not all textures, just between textures that are used by the model. I didn't take a deeper look at it for now. And besides that, I still can't believe that the developers would have done such design-breaking stuff. When you take a look at the file-management of the resource files, I can't imagine they would have done something like assigning inside the exe. No developer would ever do that.

I will get back to that later. For now, I'm going to continue working on the animations part of the game.

1 hour ago, pivke said:

And besides that, I still can't believe that the developers would have done such design-breaking stuff. When you take a look at the file-management of the resource files, I can't imagine they would have done something like assigning inside the exe. No developer would ever do that.

You'd think so, but they definitely put a loooot of stuff about the levels inside the exe...

IEnJVlC.png

5 minutes ago, Terrev said:

You'd think so, but they definitely put a loooot of stuff about the levels inside the exe...

Yep saw that too already. For now I can't explain why they use archives on the one, and hardcoded filenames on the other hand. That's paradoxical. But I think we should discuss in another thread about that.

• 2 weeks later...

It would have been great if it was possible to export models from the PS1 version too. 

May be it could be possible to export animations in the future? 

Is the exporter able to export the entire islands with their corresponding textures? 

22 hours ago, tomfyhr said:

Is the exporter able to export the entire islands with their corresponding textures? 

This isn't an "export models from the game" tool. This is a plugin for Milkshape to export your own made models to put into the game.

On 12/11/2017 at 6:19 PM, pivke said:

Yep saw that too already. For now I can't explain why they use archives on the one, and hardcoded filenames on the other hand. That's paradoxical. But I think we should discuss in another thread about that.

On 12/24/2017 at 7:41 AM, Cyrem said:

This isn't an "export models from the game" tool. This is a plugin for Milkshape to export your own made models to put into the game.

Oh ok. May be someone could create a Christmas-themed mod. 

Is it possible to mod audio, character coordinates and add new levels?

• 3 years later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.