Mining laser bug: Solved (Well, partially)

ShadowDraikana

• Administrators
ShadowDraikana

Hello, RRU!  

This is my first ever topic, but by no means am I new here.  I just haven't had anything worth making a topic about...until now.

Without further ado, I want to announce that I have solved the long-standing laser bug in Rock Raiders.

I first picked up on this issue while playing Baz's mod.  The lasers had a bad tendency to pass through walls and not hit them.  Since Axel's mod used the aforementioned mod as a base, the problem carried over.  I in turn used Axel's mod as a base and embarked on my own modding adventures.  As expected the laser problem persisted, and all attempts to find a solution here came up empty handed.

That's when I happened upon @aidenpons mod, Monster's Revenge.  To my complete surprise, the lasers functioned correctly.  After reaching out to and talking with aiden today, I tried poking around in the cfg file to see if I could find something.  In the WeaponTypes {} section, which is where the lasers are stored, I compared side-by-side the information entered in Baz's/Axel's mod vs aidenpons' mod.  What jumped out at me was the stark difference in the WeaponRange values: aiden had the BigLazer at 480, while Baz had it at 10,000.  First I lowered the value to 3000 and began seeing the lasers make contact with the walls more often.  Finally, I lowered the value down into the range in aiden's mod.  The result?  Lasers now work correctly!

aidenpons was able to confirm this.

Thanks again to aiden for making his mod; I owe this fix to him.   

Update 11/29/2017:

So I finally was able test this more rigorously, using every laser and at every angle you can imagine.  I have determined that the lasers will bug out no matter what when you try to hit a wall near the border of a map.  Here's why: when facing a wall a few squares from the border, the laser fires through it.  Back up, and it hits.  The why part is simply that the laser range is outside of the map when you were closer to the wall.  When that occurs, for some reason, the lasers start passing through walls instead of hitting them.  It's not a big deal as long as you can keep the laser within range of the map (e.g. put more distance between you and the wall). 

Ultimately the problem may be hard-coded, but at least we know now what we're dealing with and how to get around it (for the most part).

Edited by Slimy Slug
Removed sentence

I assume this fix is just for Baz's & Axel's mod?

The vanilla CFG is set to 200, or did you experience issues even with vanilla RR?

Nice find on the solution to your issue anyhow.

1 hour ago, Cyrem said:

The vanilla CFG is set to 200, or did you experience issues even with vanilla RR?

Why would you even bother using lasers in vanilla LRR? large.OldTonguePNG_transparent.png.299864b6559440630e29f111b85cffe2.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Administrators
ShadowDraikana

@Cyrem This issue is in Baz's/Axel's mod; not sure about other mods out there.  I have no idea why Baz set the values so high to begin with.

Obviously I never had the issue in the vanilla RR since the value isn't in the range that would be causing the bug.

edit: Also, not sure what if anything this did, but I removed SlowDeath from all the lasers except the gunstation (although for some reason Baz made the BigLazer shared between the gunstation and LMLC).

I'll update my first post once I figure out which value is the highest possible that doesn't trigger the bug.

Edited by Slimy Slug

10000 / 40 = 250

That's 250 tiles. I don't think we have maps that are bigger than 128x128. Rocky Horror is probably the only one with a straight shot that gets even close. I think you can start your upper limit somewhere around there...

• Administrators
ShadowDraikana

-Manually removed due to inaccurate statement-

See first post.

---11/29/2017

Edited by Slimy Slug
Fix

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.