Cyrem

(Competition) Make a Rock Raiders Inspired Background

Cyrem
Rock Raiders Inspired Background Competition

Finally, its competition time again! This time we have something a little different from the past competitions and if you have some digital, traditional or render skills in your back pocket it’s time to pull it out. This competition is all about creating a background (or wallpaper if you like) that is inspired of Rock Raiders.

Entry Period

Tuesday 7th November – Tuesday 21st November 2017 (2 weeks)

Entry Requirements

• Keep the full quality or PNG version of your entry.
  • Minimum 1920 x 1080px image size
  • No LEGO logo
  • No Rock Raiders logo
  • Any number of entries (But focus on quality over quantity)

How to Enter

Ready to enter? Now you're up to the easy part. Reply to this topic in the following format:

Competition Entry: [Name of Your Entry]

[Explain your inspiration or idea behind your background.]

Image: [Link or embedded image]

Judging & Prize

The entries will be judged and the winning background selected by our forum staff.  The judging will take place on Thursday 23rd November 2017.

The winner's will get his/her background featured as RRU's website background for a limited time.

In addition they'll get this fancy medal to remember their win for their profile: medal_comp_2017RRbackground.png.4e010e37

Inspiration

Before you get started, you are probably looking for some ideas or inspiration for it. For some idea you may consider the following:

Any questions, just ask below. Now get drawing!

• Like 5

Ben24x7

Oh hohoh hoh! My forte.

Admittedly, I rushed this poster, so I should probably make a better version later, but for now here's my entry:

"Undiscovered cavern"

[I know, I know, what an unoriginal name]

EDIT: I've taken time to polish up my entry a bit. I'll leave my old version up just in-case people like it more than my newer version.

VERSION 2:

a1Awrt5.jpg

I have an un-cropped copy of this entry, so if it doesn't fit correctly, I can crop it to be larger.

OLD VERSION:

C9abFV8.jpg

This poster is a recreation of a poster I made a while back (which itself was inspired by LRR's menu music "ATMOSDEL"), with the idea of showing "Rock Raiders bursting through a wall to find a new cavern" (I guess you could say that aspect was inspired by the 1st "Lava Monsters" LRR cutscene).

Edited by Ben24x7
Updated the original entry
  • Like 14

Cyrem

Nice work, looks great! Thanks for the entry :)

• Like 1

Xir

Half time and only one entry so far? Hmmm... maybe I should crack SFM open, it has been a while.

• Like 4

Cyrem

It's going to be an easy win for Ben lol, though I had hoped to see a few more by now. Oh well.

Zeeslag

let me het out the mspaint!

• Haha 1

aidenpons

EDIT: would be really nice if quotes worked

EDIT: will this work?

EDIT: okay I have no clue what is going on, I've just dropped the quote entirely

Entry Requirements

• Any number of entries (But focus on quality over quantity)

Looks like you should reword that to (But focus on creating at least one, please) large.OldTonguePNG.png.8d1938f4e3d7f8cb3ab33829018396f5.png

MineTimelapser

Found some time to make one as well!
I tried making something fitting the dark & mysterious vibe without it being too stylized. Hope you like it!

This is 'The Headquarters'

dBViO9R.png

• Like 7

JimbobJeffers

Ooh this is a neat idea. Loving the artwork @Ben24x7 and @MineTimelapser, I'm always looking for more backgrounds! Here's my submission that I cooked up in a couple of hours, it's rough but sadly I'm rather short on time at the moment.

I Think I'm Gonna Need a Bigger Truck

Inspiration... I like Chief, I like energy crystals, and I've wanted to make a cavern scene using actual LRR textures for a long time now. I also thought it would be a nice opportunity to try out some surface wear textures. Originally I'd intended to make a team photo, but as far as I can tell LDraw doesn't have Jet's helmet (needed to import into Blender) so I came up with this idea instead.

WVfl9zz.jpg

Original 4K PNG can be sent to ya if you want it Lord merCy.

• Like 12

Cyrem

Very nice entries @JimbobJeffers and @MineTimelapser! Thanks

Remember everyone, tomorrow is the last day for entries into this competition.

Ben24x7
23 hours ago, Cyrem said:

...tomorrow is the last day for entries into this competition.

Well, I'm not sure if its too late for me to post this, and it likely doesn't fit the criteria (of looking like an LRR poster), but I think I'll post this for fun anyway:

"Sea of... *idle* "
C3amFJC.jpg

This one is a recreation of an old Garry's mod menu background, albeit with a crowd of idling Rock Raiders (their faces based on Arthuriel's "Insane Raiders" portrayal of Rock Raiders going into "Idle Mode"). 

So... yeah, not as serious as my first entry, but it was fun to make.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

Cyrem

Thank you all for your awesome entries, your effort and time. All your entries have their unique style!

The Staff are now choosing their favourites, winner will be announced soon.

Cyrem

Competition Winner!

@JimbobJeffers

For your awesome entry: "I Think I'm Gonna Need a Bigger Truck".  Your background captured the old feel of the game, which the staff really liked as well as the attention to detail on Chief's texture finishing was noticed too. Well done! Send me your 4k version.

Honourable Mentions

Well done to @Ben24x7 and @MineTimelapser for your entries to the competition. All 3 of your backgrounds were great and honestly picking a winner was a hard choice as each had its own style and did it well. Ben24x7, your choice of an animated styling is nothing short of amazing. With the special effects and minifig emotions gives it a feel like it's a scene right out of a short movie. Would love to see more in that style! MineTimeLapser, your background captures the original LEGO set perfectly adding a layer of dark moody mystery, a great choice!

No doubt however people have downloaded all of these for their personal backgrounds for their pc or the like, including myself because they're all such high-quality.

Well done everyone!

-

P.S Keep an eye out for another competition soon.

• Like 4

Ben24x7

Congratulations, @JimbobJeffers!

5 hours ago, Cyrem said:

P.S Keep an eye out for another competition soon.

Oooooh? 

JimbobJeffers

Wahey, thank you! Great idea for a competition, as you said Ben and MTL created some awesome art which I'll be using as backgrounds too. :D