Info from TT's founder

lol username

Note: This will be moved into the correct part of RRU and given a proper tag when that section opens.

Jon Burton, founder of TT Games, started a YouTube channel (GameHut) a few months ago. There's isn't much LEGO content on it (yet), but last night he created a Discord server (a link is available here), with a LEGO channel.

Here's a few interesting things to come out of it so far (the server was quite busy, so occasionally I've snipped out some irrelevant messages just to keep things tidy):

[8:24 PM] Bitmap: I wish when Lego had the SpongeBob license TT made a Lego SpongeBob game. It's never gonna happen.
[8:24 PM] Bitmap: :/
[8:31 PM] GameHut: We nearly made a LEGO Spongebob game - LEGO used to have the licence

[8:39 PM] Terrev: ooh I don't suppose you'd happen to have any screenshots/video of the levels cut from the original lego star wars?
[8:39 PM] Terrev: or maybe even builds containing them
[8:39 PM] Doot Nootem Freedee: i love lego dimensions
[8:39 PM] GameHut: @Terrev which ones were cut?
[8:39 PM] Terrev: I'd have to refresh my memory but something about an asteroid dogfight
[8:40 PM] Terrev: and another thing that appeared briefly in a trailer but not the final game, anakin's flight IIRC
[8:40 PM] willkirkby: weren't they fixed up for the complete saga as bonus stages?
[8:40 PM] Terrev: at least one was
[8:40 PM] Terrev: but not all
[8:40 PM] Terrev: the one where you chase zam around was redone for/included in the complete saga
[8:42 PM] willkirkby: if memory serves correctly, the Zam level was added to the TCS story campaign (and excluded from the original) but the cut Anakin's Flight level was added to TCS as a bonus stage
[8:42 PM] Rozurabu: It sure was. I have TCS, I would know.
[8:43 PM] GameHut: @willkirkby oh yeah, they were reinstated in TCS
[8:44 PM] Terrev: http://lostmediaarchive.wikia.com/wiki/Lego_Star_Wars:_The_Video_Game_(Deleted_Levels) if this is accurate, there's still several more that weren't included in TCS
[8:45 PM] willkirkby: ahhh
[8:48 PM] Terrev: asteroid dogfight, boga chase, and palpatine duel are still mysteries
[8:50 PM] GameHut: @Terrev boga chase was playable a little, asteroid dogfight was canned due to not having a ship for player 2 to fly without breaking canon

[8:53 PM] Doot Nootem Freedee: i dont know if this was mentioned above but how many cancelled Lego games were there? or was it just the Sponge bob one?
[8:54 PM] Terrev: well, there's the lego soccer adventure game that jonathan smith (another TT dev) talked about in an interview
[8:54 PM] Terrev: beyond that, I'm not sure
[8:54 PM] Terrev: but I'd assume yes given how many years they've been doing them
[8:54 PM] GameHut: a good few for sure
[8:54 PM] Doot Nootem Freedee: i loved the lego games as a kid would be interesting to hear about other cancelled ones
[8:54 PM] Terrev: there's certainly loads and loads of canceled lego games from before TT got involved, too
[8:55 PM] GameHut: not really cancelled as such, just never left the drawing board

[9:01 PM] Rozurabu: Darth Plagueis, the "100% character," was rejected as stated in the game's character roster file. 
@GameHut, did you know anything about this supposedly overpowered can-do-anything character?
[9:17 PM] GameHut: @Rozurabu yeah, for sure we wanted him. But there were no visuals of him to base it on
[9:28 PM] Rozurabu: I also recall the code's commentary in front of his character labels mentioning "not allowed." 
Was this due to the lack of visuals, or a separate story?
[9:38 PM] GameHut: @Rozurabu I think we weren't allowed him by either LEGO or Lucas - not sure which

Also, he said this in the comments section of this video:

ToonMation! 2 months ago
Question: Why didn't the final game use voice acting?

GameHut 2 months ago
At the time it would have been impossible/super expensive to get the actual voice actors, and we wanted everything to be authentic, and it seemed fun and charming to have them "mime" instead.

ToonMation! 2 months ago
GameHut So by the time Pirates of the Caribbean got it's turn to be turned into Lego, your company decided to use voice actors?

GameHut 2 months ago
ToonMation! Pirates didn't have voice acting. The first LEGO game that did was LEGO Batman 2. I wrote an original story for it (as the Batman movies at the time were deemed "too dark") and you can't "mime" an original story so we had to try voice actors - which actually worked well. Incidentally, Johnny Depp did secretly record all the grunts and "ows" etc for LEGO Pirates but gave his fee to charity and insisted we didn't publicise the fact he'd worked on it.

For those who haven't read it yet, here's that Jonathan Smith interview mentioned in the chat logs: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/qanda-lego-star-wars-producer-jonathan-smith/1100-6165669/

And here's a few relevant portions of it:

GSUK: What didn't make it to the final version of the LSW game?

JS: It took two years to make the game, and six months before the end of it, we realised that we were never going to make vehicle levels work. We always planned to have a lot of vehicle and space-based combat in the game, but we never, ever got it to work. We threw a lot of stuff away. We'd have things like arbitrary aliens blocking the road and you have to go and bring them things to make them move. [That kind of stuff] just shouldn't be there in the first place. Trying to make things good is a really, really dangerous path. They should be good from the start.

GSUK: Were there any ideas that came before it?

JS: We made a game called Lego Soccer Adventure, which never came out. It was a test. We started thinking about things that we could do with Lego that had never been done before. The game was basically a series of fantasy environments, and you kick the ball at things to make things happen, avoid animated creatures and tackles from enemies. You never die in the game; you just lose the ball. Dying and then having to go back and do things again and again and again, that's something that we decided we wanted to do differently. In the end, however, we just couldn't justify the amount of money it would cost to make that game.

Jon never replied to anything specifically about the Soccer game, oh well.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Brickoum said:

That is because most likely it was thought up by Giant, not TT Games.

It's likely he knows at least something about it - he was being bombarded with questions from everybody, and was only answering here and there.

• 2 months later...

"Earliest Pre-Alpha Prototype"

Looks nothing like it, looks rather complete in main functional aspects. TT must have a weird version system for this to be called a pre-alpha proto, either that or the timing is a bit exaggerated.

He'd previously found an "earliest prototype" of Sonic R that turned out to actually be like the third earliest he had... So yeah I'm taking the video title with a pinch of salt.

pretty interesting to know that they used the yellow tone for minifigures before the release - however that title seems like a 10th grader's essay. 

anyhow I'm still shocked on how he hasn't shown anything from the cut levels yet, but I'll take that for granted. 

• 5 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.