RR doesn't run on Windows 7 (have tried the d3drm.dll)

Dowe

So, I downloaded RR from [redacted] (yes, sorry for being a pirate...), burned it onto a disc and installed it. Tried to play it, and the missing d3drm.dll error came up. Did a quick search on the web, and I ended up copying the d3drm.dll file from the disc and put it in the game's directory. Now, however, it tries to run the game but a simple "LegoRR.exe has stopped working" appears. Why is this? Does it have anything to do with it being a pirated copy? Complete newbie, sorry

Fluffy Cupcake

Does it have anything to do with it being a pirated copy?

Yes, and soon you'll get Windows.exe has stopped working.

What's your GPU (graphics card)?

On 19/05/2017 at 5:33 AM, Dowe said:

the only inherent issue with pirating [redacted] upload is that the redbook music in that is kinda corrupted for some weird reason, seems like it was ripped from an already-pirated CD copy so I guess it's gotten pretty f****ed up. some versions of Rock Raiders have that protection stuff that won't run the game without the disc but probably none of the copies floating online have that issue.

if you're getting a crash message it probably isn't an issue with your GPU, that usually just results in it closing instantly with no message.

edit: [redacted]'s version has a 752 KB exe from 9/27 and a 720 KB ICD from 10/11, what version does this line up with? not any of the ones cyrem listed in that one topic - maybe it's a mashup but none of them have an exe over 720 KB

edit 2: some stuff is slightly different but it mostly seems to be a bunch of garbage blank data at the end of the exe? ok then sure

16 minutes ago, Xir said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Yes, and soon you'll get Windows.exe has stopped working.

What's your GPU (graphics card)?

It's quite an old laptop I'm using at the moment. A Mobile Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M, apparently.

well I can't get this version of the game to run at all even with all the same settings as my normal copy, so it might actually be because of it being pirated - specifically from it being a s*** rip.

3 minutes ago, Jessietail said:

well I can't get this version of the game to run at all even with all the same settings as my normal copy, so it might actually be because of it being pirated - specifically from it being a s*** rip.

Ah. Oh well, thanks for the help anyways.

• 2 weeks later...

Well guys, I found a pretty good solution. Without it, I probably wouldn't have made mods for this game in the first place! Let alone playing the game.

On this website, I found a graphical wrapper that tries to emulate Voodoo2 graphics card.

I'm no hardware wizard, so I have no idea how it works under the hood, but hey! It works!

For someone who has Windows 7 with 64-bit architecture, it's quite a find.

You just place the DLLs from MS folder into the directory and it should appear on the graphics menu before the game launches.

There's only one drawback. There's a watermark in bottom-right corner.

ma7nFPe.png

If you ask me, that's a minor concession for being able to play that stubborn game, honestly.

Hope this helps some of you.

4 hours ago, TheMikirog said:

ma7nFPe.png

You can remove this, there is an option under the directx tab in the configuration exe.

8 hours ago, Cyrem said:

You can remove this, there is an option under the directx tab in the configuration exe.

Welp, I only pasted in the DLLs to make it work. As such, I couldn't find the configuration.exe file.

Maybe because it isn't in the archive and it didn't come with the game when I installed it after I checked it.

3 hours ago, TheMikirog said:

Welp, I only pasted in the DLLs to make it work. As such, I couldn't find the configuration.exe file.

Maybe because it isn't in the archive and it didn't come with the game when I installed it after I checked it.

It should be (dgVoodooCpl.exe) in the archive you got off that website, as it is the official source. dgVoodoo is hosted on RRU: http://www.rockraidersunited.com/files/general-tools/dgvoodoo-254-r52/

Maybe re-download it. I know at least that it's in the version uploaded here.

23 hours ago, TheMikirog said:

Well guys, I found a pretty good solution. Without it, I probably wouldn't have made mods for this game in the first place! Let alone playing the game.

On this website, I found a graphical wrapper that tries to emulate Voodoo2 graphics card.

I'm no hardware wizard, so I have no idea how it works under the hood, but hey! It works!

For someone who has Windows 7 with 64-bit architecture, it's quite a find.

You just place the DLLs from MS folder into the directory and it should appear on the graphics menu before the game launches.

ma7nFPe.png

If you ask me, that's a minor concession for being able to play that stubborn game, honestly.

Hope this helps some of you.

Could you explain how to make it work? Because I am trying but it still isn't working.

4 hours ago, RideRock said:

Could you explain how to make it work? Because I am trying but it still isn't working.

After you downloaded dgVoodoo, open the archive, extract the contents of the MS folder (about 3 DLL files)  and the dgVoodooCpl.exe file and place them all in the RR install directory (the same folder where you will find LegoRR.exe). Double click LegoRR.exe to start the game. If you see the word "dgVoodoo" anywhere in the window that appears, then you know you've set it up right.

Are you running Windows 7 or 10?

2 hours ago, Cyrem said:

After you downloaded dgVoodoo, open the archive, extract the contents of the MS folder (about 3 DLL files)  and the dgVoodooCpl.exe file and place them all in the RR install directory (the same folder where you will find LegoRR.exe). Double click LegoRR.exe to start the game. If you see the word "dgVoodoo" anywhere in the window that appears, then you know you've set it up right.

Are you running Windows 7 or 10?

Windows 7

[EDIT] I placed the dgVoodooCpl.exe file into the RR install directory but it still doesn't work. I didn't restart my computer after installing it, would that be the problem?

8 hours ago, RideRock said:

Windows 7

[EDIT] I placed the dgVoodooCpl.exe file into the RR install directory but it still doesn't work. I didn't restart my computer after installing it, would that be the problem?

Can you explain what is actually occurring, are you getting an error? at what point does it crash?

11 hours ago, Cyrem said:

Can you explain what is actually occurring, are you getting an error? at what point does it crash?

I start it and it takes a moment before it says "LegoRR.exe has stopped working." Though, while I was trying to figure out how to fix it, I stumbled upon a corrupted file. So I downloaded a different install, installed it, and performed what you suggested and it works now.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.