Some More Early Lego Racers Pics

Edwin

I don't think these have been posted before, since I found them on some weird Dutch website from 1997. (Just tell me if I'm wrong and I'll remove this post.)
So as you can see, the tracks shown are pretty much the same as in the finished version, but the GUI and the particles are different. By the way, what are those weird diamond-shaped things? Are they powerups?

Yeah so I just thought it'd be cool to show these.  I like the look of the GUI, I almost prefer it over the finished products' GUI. 

lol username

I've got a large collection of LR1 alpha/beta screenshots here: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=469944 I just added a new screenshot to the folder a few days ago, so Brickshelf hasn't moderated it and made the folder public yet... But yeah, those screenshots are in there, though the versions I have uploaded are from another site with different watermarks (also, the ones you posted seem to be cropped slightly...? Huh, strange):

284760234.jpg

284752265.jpg

284741812.jpg

Anyway... While we wait for Brickshelf moderate/approve the folder, you can browse a slightly outdated version on the web archives: http://web.archive.org/web/20170425052633/http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=469944 Note the "Next" button at the bottom right of the page; there's 3 pages of screenshots in total. And by "slightly outdated" I only mean it doesn't have this one screenshot I recently uploaded:

shot9.jpg

Which is just a higher res version of a screenshot that was already in there.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Ostoya said:

Looks like the early powerups were represented by diamond pieces.

lego-transparent-dark-blue-diamond-with-

Yeah. I totally understand why they changed it; the diamond pieces are designed to fit in a minifig's hand, but when they're separated it just looks odd. 

6 hours ago, Terrev said:

But yeah, those screenshots are in there,

Darn. Oh well, maybe I'll remove this then. Anyway, I really like the look this game had during Alfa/Beta. 
I don't really know why. Maybe it's just some new version of nostalgia... where I get to see my childhood in a new light, with small additional dreams and visions that the developers had to cut out before shipping ... or maybe I just think it had a better design back then (except for the diamond-powerups). 

Anyway thanks for the link, it's so satisfying to look at these old screenshots for me.

lol username

No need to remove it - that usually just causes confusion on what was being discussed in a topic, if anything.

Are these models and levels for the beta version of the game, available in the game´s archive? If not, is there a reason for why they would remove them, if there is enough space on the disc to include them?

lol username

They're earlier versions of the tracks and such you see in the final game. They weren't removed as much as they were just updated as development continued.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.