Stunt Rally for Playstation 1

TheBillionTonBrick

TheBillionTonBrick

So was googling to see if I could find more info on the PS1 version of Stunt Rally,  and I happened across its IGN page. Funny thing too, as this game was somehow never released. I wonder if it got out in stores for a while, but only a few copies were made and/or didn't sell very well. Unless I'm wrong and this page was just automatically generated.

I'll put the description here if you don't want to check the website for some reason.

You can race through death defying loops and fast-acting quicksand in LEGO STUNT RALLY. First you will have to build a track; the obstacles and track parts you get to use depend on which of the four worlds (urban Londonhagen, arid Sandara, freezing Polaria, and the ruthless Jungle) you choose to build in. When the track is fully constructed, you can race around it and perform stunts the more dangerous the stunt, the bigger the bonuses and the more points you'll score. In addition to this Construction mode, players can also compete in Racing and Adventure Campaign modes. When you take on challengers, weapons like electric rays and fireballs are scattered throughout the track, which can give you a distinctive advantage if you get to them first. In this game, it's not whether you win or lose, it's how much mayhem you create.

lol username

It was never released. Here's what we know:

On 8/4/2015 at 6:54 AM, k-g said:

The short version of the story is that IG didn't have the manpower in house to do both the PC and PlayStation version. We started working on both simultaneously, but after some time progress on the PS version fell behind, and the job of creating that version was given to another studio (I don't recall which studio). The screenshots that surfaced are from that version, so that studio got further than IG did on the PS version, but I don't know any more than that.

1044331.jpg

1044332.jpg

1044333.jpg

363.jpg

Not much else to say, really. The PS1 version was listed in printed LEGO game ads, but of course so were several other LEGO games that were quietly canceled, so that doesn't mean much. Neither do pages like that IGN listing (for example, the canceled Bionicle game is listed on sites like Amazon) - sites often have such pages with the official descriptions of the games copied straight in from ads/press releases/etc.

Update - The other studio was Asylum Entertainment:

http://www.manelsort.com/portfolio/lego-stunt-rally/

As Lead Programmer at Asylum Entertainment I worked on the PlayStation version of the game, which was cancelled before release.  The PC and Game Boy Color versions did go ahead and were published by LEGO Media.

Which is the same studio behind the Galidor game:

http://www.manelsort.com/portfolio/galidor-defenders-of-the-outer-dimension/

I'll drop this guy a message somewhere and see if he can fill us in on any details. (Update - linked him to this thread on Twitter, I guess we'll see what happens)

• Like 2

TheBillionTonBrick

@Terrev

This Manel guy has worked on a lot of mobile games recently. I've seen the Bubble Witch Saga pop up every now and then on my Kindle.

Going back on topic, I wonder what possible reason they could have had for using a ramp as the start/finish line rather than an actual finish line model in the PC version:

1044332.jpg

Perhaps it was simply for testing purposes?

lol username

I can't imagine they'd do that as a design choice; I'd bet it was just how things were at that point in development for whatever reasons.

Also:

On 5/11/2017 at 11:46 PM, Terrev said:

Update - The other studio was Asylum Entertainment:

http://www.manelsort.com/portfolio/lego-stunt-rally/

Which is the same studio behind the Galidor game:

http://www.manelsort.com/portfolio/galidor-defenders-of-the-outer-dimension/

Turns out this is its own weird story... Made a separate topic for it:

• Like 3

• 3 years later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.