3D Crashing (Overlay remains) on Windows XP

teconmoon

teconmoon

Hi all, glad to see a thriving community exists for this game so many years later! I've been trying to run this on an XP machine I have, but I've been having an odd issue where while playing the tutorials, the 3D Graphics will all disappear leaving nothing but black (and the overlay). At this point there's nothing left to do but quit the game, but it's interesting because even as you transition through the menus after this "3D crash" happens, even the falling transitional rocks are gone.

Specs:

• CPU: Pentium 4
  • GPU: ATI Radeon HD 2600 AGP
  • RAM: 2 GB

Things I've tried:

• Re-installing with legitimate disk
  • Copying d3drm.dll from game disk to install directory

I was hoping that installing the game on my older Windows XP machine would have less issues than a newer OS, anyways any assistance or tips would be appreciated!

Edit: The CPU fan broke a leg in this machine build, so I'm getting a new one and probably swapping out the CPU for a Core 2 Quad soon. Once it's back up and running I'll make sure to give Cafeteria a shot.

Does it only happen while playing the tutorials? Is it a specific level? Maybe there's an animation that's bugging out and screwing up the game, which would show up in the normal levels. The tutorials are kinda buggy on their own so maybe you could skip them entirely.

teconmoon
15 hours ago, Cirevam said:

Does it only happen while playing the tutorials? Is it a specific level? Maybe there's an animation that's bugging out and screwing up the game, which would show up in the normal levels. The tutorials are kinda buggy on their own so maybe you could skip them entirely.

I've only tried the tutorial levels (as I haven't played in years) and it has been somewhat sporadic so far. Sometimes I'll get partway through and the 3D will crash, other times I can get through with no issues. I'll test the normal levels once I get my computer back up tonight and running and let you know.

Even if the normal levels work and it's just the tutorials, I'll definitely be interested in doing some troubleshooting and finding the cause in case other people run into it. Could possibly be a problem with my graphics card instead of the game, I could try removing that and falling back on onboard video or some other things.

Edit: I may also swap out the Radeon HD 2600 AGP with a 3850 AGP, as many people back in the day reported stability issues with the 2600 AGP (although it did handle Portal just fine :thumbsup:)

teconmoon

Well tried this on a completely different build and had the exact same problem, wonder if something in the newer versions of DirectX is screwing something up.

Different Specs:

• CPU: Core i7-3930k @ 3.20GHz
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770
  • RAM: 16 GB
On 5/2/2017 at 7:01 PM, Cirevam said:

I can confirm though that like you said, this only seems to be happening in the tutorial levels, not the main game levels strangely enough. That's too bad but at least the game is playable! I'll see if I can mess around with other stuff to get tutorials working (rolling back DirectX maybe?)

On 5/3/2017 at 6:06 AM, teconmoon said:

Copying d3drm.dll from game disk to install directory

I'd like to add that this doesn't actually always help, oddly enough - at least for my copy of LRR. No, the d3drm.dll that did it was actually from Lego Island 1. Cyrem uploaded it here.

15 hours ago, aidenpons said:

I'd like to add that this doesn't actually always help, oddly enough - at least for my copy of LRR. No, the d3drm.dll that did it was actually from Lego Island 1. Cyrem uploaded it here.

Tried the DLL you posted, still had the same issues. Interestingly enough the D3DRM from the two LI versions I have did not work at all and just crashed LRR immediately, Probably because the first couple versions of LI use DX5 whereas LRR uses DX6. I've tried a few versions of D3DRM ranging from the DLL on the disk to the newest version.

Here's my testing so far:

No D3DRM.dll: 3D goes black randomly during tutorials
D3DRM from LI 1.0.0.1/1.1.0.0: Crashes game immediately (DLL Version 4.5.0.155)

D3DRM from LRR disk: 3D goes black randomly during tutorials (DLL Version 4.6.2.436)
D3DRM from newer LI revision (shared by aidenpons): 3D goes black randomly during tutorials (DLL Version 5.1.2600.0)
D3DRM from C:\Windows\SysWOW64: 3D goes black randomly during tutorials (DLL Version 5.2.3790.0)

So replacing D3DRM as a solution is out for Windows XP, back to the drawing board for me!

• Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.