Lego Rock Raiders in Unity (Canceled)

Rogod

kaitodaimon
9 minutes ago, Rogod said:

@Mikkel246 v0.08 is coming!
T-34 Warrior & I have been working on some new things for it :D

@kaitodaimon

I cannot make the source code open source as this is not an available construct in Unity collab. - I am happy to add people who can actually help of course. (FYI, a lot of the difficult stuff is already done, it's now just filling in the parts we haven't done yet & models/assets/anims which T-34 Warrior has well in hand.)

Which assets are you referring to?

@kaitodaimon

I'm not really sure what you want me to answer here.

There are a finite known number of things to include in the game from the original.

So far, (v0.07 and the few extra in v0.08) has a subset of this.

These assets include sounds not yet coded in, models not yet modeled and images/textures not yet converted. As well as this there is the part people seem to forget constantly, that these all need to work in the game/engine/code at the right times - which of course will need to be done on top of this.

I am not looking for any additional assistance with this project as a lot of the work is now just code-monkey stuff (i.e. the hard parts of the code have largely been completed) or T-34 Warrior has plans to replace/upgrade.

T-34_Warrior

Hey Guys,

quick-ish update on what I've been working on.
The Rapid Rider model en textures are done. 

link to pic: https://prntscr.com/fau2jw
Animations still have to be done, but that can be done later.

Currently I am working on a model of a minifig, maybe we will make diffirent textures for it. :)
but only when time allows it.
link to pic: https://prntscr.com/fau2rh

let me know what you think.

Cheers,

T-34 Warrior

Just in case anyone thought I wasn't doing anything:

scrn46.PNG

It's true, I've been a bit busy lately, but finally sat back down to do some proper coding this evening.

The radar still needs some work (e.g. to make geologists work etc.) but it does at least mean all the buttons do something now. :D

---

Also just fixed the issue where raiders drill & reinforce walls from 1 tile away.

• Haha 2

Yeah these are all things that will need addressed in future versions (I know what's going on in each).

This really was intended as a first-pass at putting all the maps in.

FYI: That first bug can be gotten around by choosing a different resolution. - I find 4:3 ratio resolutions work best as the original game was 640x480.

Another FYI: Any map that starts without a cavern, if you put your cursor in the middle of the screen at this point and press space, it'll probably reveal the cavern.

Hey, I just signed up to RR United just to say this project is amazing!

I have tested v0.08 and since you can use all the feedback we can give :) :
It seems that the maps of The Path To Power and It's a Hold Up are accidentily switched!
Also, Oresome! is missing the Geological center that should be present from the start.  EDIT: Also the 2 Mining Lasers and the Support Station
But you're probably aware of those already, as you said maps are a bit bugged.

It's great to see such a nostalgic game to be remade for newer PC's, keep it up!

Fluffy Cupcake
8 minutes ago, Thorium(III) nitride said:

Hey, I just signed up to RR United just to say this project is amazing!

That's quite the magnetic pull this game had on you! Welcome! Please do enjoy your stay, even if just in this one small room of this giganto tower known as Rock Raiders United.

Thank you for the welcome! I'm glad to give feedback!

While we're at it, there are also a few other missing or weird aspects on other maps I just found:

Oresome! has more missing buildings, see Edit.

Lake of Fire walls will not disappear when drilled, plus the teleport pad is placed in a wrong spot.

Lo_F.jpg

Rocky Horror: Geo-center and teleport pad are flipped in a wrong angle.

RH_TP_GC.jpg

Explosive action: The cave with the small digger in it is not visible from the start. (Similar deal with starting-caves on some other maps like Split down the middle and Water lot of fun)

image.jpg

But all of this is very minor and not-so-important stuff. Shouldn't be any problem to sort out if you've got the original game next to it. :)

I've never seen a fan-recreation of any LEGO game grow so quickly like this project - churning out new updates every month - but it's really disappointing to see it come to a stop due to potential legal issues.

Trust me, it bums me out more than ever. - I was really happy to be doing this for everybody (including myself).
It is what it is though, I can't put myself at risk for this I'm afraid.

Sorry guys :'(

Fluffy Cupcake

I believe iirc seeing around here someone said LEGO doesn't care if you make a fangame on their older products so long as you don't use their name and claim it as one of their own? Someone with better knowledge on the issue please correct me on this.

Edit: I couldn't find what I was looking for by Cirevam did pretty much say the same thing 4 years ago. Anyhow, if it means anything LEGO is very aware of what goes on around here and probably the 100 RR remakes, customer service has sent people to us before.

DarkianMaker

Best guess I can stab at it is that your fangame needs to have a unique title so it doesn't get confused with the actual LEGO product. I really doubt they'd bother to sue over someone making a true to life remake of a game they're not selling anymore (I assume)

I have enquired directly to Lego about this.

If this does turn out to be the case, I still have all the appropriate posts & work saved, so can easily pick up where I left off. :)

Let us know if you get a response from them. It's good to know what their current stance is in case it's changed behind the scenes.

• Cyrem unfeatured this topic
  • 1 month later...

Since Rogod told me to share his project files, here they are, in case someone else wants to work on his files in the meantime. 
Note: I am only sharing this on the behalf of Rogod. Any contact related to the sharing of the program files should go to Rogod. I have no specified knowledge of the content in the program files and cannot be hold accustomed to any consequences that goes with the sharing of Rogod´´ s files. 

Link: https://mega.nz/#!SxRXgDQa!hFhLg4FECKkMO0i5cJrKJ3tCB-psAp_6SUjS1UG9l4g

• Cyrem locked this topic