Lego Rock Raiders in Unity (Canceled)

Rogod

Heh, I'm not too worried about lower end hardware as I'm mostly trying to get the old game to run on new hardware, but it's good to know it still runs well. - Thank Unity for that ;)

There will be some optimizations to come too, which is good for everybody. :D

• Like 1

I came across this forum accidentally, and this is my first post.

Dude, you're awesome, remaking this glorious game for modern demands and hardware. Thank you! I'm amazed by your progress!

Also, a little suggestion about the feature I was lacking back when I was a kid - power path should provide lighting.

@Overjay

Thanks, I'm GLaD you like it.

Lighting is something I'll need to handle carefully, as there is the potential to have light sources all over the place (buildings/paths/crystals/dynamite/slugs/barriers/e-fences) but I am going to have to be conservative with some of these otherwise there'll just be an overload of colours & effects that could lower performance (even on a good computer). This being said however, I will probably substitute some of these potential lights with flare effects, freeing up space for other lights.

@Mikkel246

Yeah they'll walk over the lava in Driller Night as well as the water in Frozen Frenzy but it's only if there is no other way to get there.

There needs to be some tweaking to the A* algorithm. ;) (At the moment walls, lava & water are just weighted high in their nav-mesh, but there needs to be a separate clause to deal with things that are impassable then they can all be added to that category.)

Lots to do :D But thankfully, lots of hard things already done. :D

• Like 2

Hey there, nice project! Looks like you made some good progress :)@tomfyhr is asking me for the slug model that's in my profile picture, and I will upload it soon. Are you interested in it too? :)

@Pascal

Sure, I'll take a look.

I'd be looking for the following though:

• Low enough poly to be used in game (not for cutscenes)
  • Centred around 0,0,0
  • Texture

Any animations would be a bonus :)?

Mikkel246

wow wow wow xD

If you put the graphics quality to fastest, the game runs insanely fast xD 

v0.07 don't seem to have bugs :D

sooo what are you planning for v0.08? 

v0.08 is going to be some more mechanical stuff like getting tools, raider upgrades & more missions hopefully. (I've figured out decoding the original map data so I'll be converting that.)

Ideally I'd want v0.08 to get to the state where you start a mission, complete the mission, get your score then return to the main menu. - I think this'll make it all feel a lot more like the real game.

Sadly I'm probably not going to be doing monsters/slugs/vehicles - these will come more gradually for later versions. :)

However, I may start playing with the first/third person stuff in v0.08.

Mikkel246

Tools, raider upgrades and missions sounds amazing :D

Getting all the tools to work is more important than monsters in my opinion :)

one question -  when are you going to make it so the raiders can take the resources out of the Tool Store? xD 

That would hopefully be done in the same breath - if they can get tools from the toolstore, I'll probably tackle ore/crystals from the toolstore at the same time.

My implementation of this however may differ slightly from the original because the objects have physics and would clip into eachother and explode out from the toolstore upon doing so. So I'll probably have it so the resources are still stored in your bars on the right, but raiders can take them as they wish one at a time. (This also stops that bug where you build something and one raider is left clearing everything up at the toolstore afterwards ;) )

• Like 2

Mikkel246
6 minutes ago, Rogod said:

(This also stops that bug where you build something and one raider is left clearing everything up at the toolstore afterwards ;) )

I remember it took me soooooo long time to figure out what they were doing xD 

risingstar64

From a design stand point, it kinda makes sense; instead of adding more logic for removing resources from the tool store to carry to building sites, the developers instead decide to empty the necessary resources from the tool store right from the start, and treat them like any other resource just sitting on the ground. Then the raiders target it since it was 'newly discovered' and close by, and take it over to the building site. I can understand that. Its just that, in practice, more often than not many of those resources are not used, so they have to be 'taken back' to the tool store. Definitely made things interesting for me as a kid, thinking that I had discovered some kind of bug allowing my raiders to create resources out of thin air :P

Hi guys, sorry I haven't posted an update in a while, there hasn't been much to show lately.

This being said, I've just converted all of the maps into my own (human-readable) format and made them available from the level select screen. (The time taken to do this was mostly spent writing a converter this morning :P)

While this does mean you can access the whole game, this venture is not complete yet as the map loading process is missing a few buildings, small spiders, crystals, vehicles, monsters, landslides, erosion & win-criteria.

These will be added to map files (and map loading process) as features come online. :)

It's just nice to see all old the maps again :D (and super easy to edit with a text editor now ;) )

maps.PNG

• Like 2

Me too :D - v0.08 should be awesome by the time I get through with it.

Roughly what I'd want the versions to look like:

• v0.08 - All maps, objectives, score screen & maybe radar
  • v0.09 - Building plates, landslides, breaking-wall rocks & fix for raiders drilling walls from 1 tile away
  • v0.10 - Selectable raiders, 1st/3rd person, raiders going to toolstore to get resources & other raider functions (maybe e-fences & dynamite)
  • v0.11 - Small vehicle functionality (probably just digger & truck for the time being)
  • v0.12 - Selectable buildings, laser tower functionality & building upgrades
  • v0.13 - Monsters & slugs (maybe action stations)
  • v0.14 - Large vehicles & other small vehicles
  • v0.15 - Vehicle upgrades
  • v0.16 - Bats & small spiders

Things that could come in any of these versions:

• Tooltips when hovering over menus
  • Tooltips when hovering over things in-game
  • Erosion
  • In-game menu
  • Saving
  • Ore refinery functionality
  • Fix for walking through walls/across water
  • Lava shader/particles
  • Resources staying on building sites
  • Teleport up/down sequence
  • Sandwiches ;)

Of course, this is all subject to change but roughly highlights some of the main areas of work still to be addressed and my priorities for what order things get done.

Some things are likely to leak into other versions depending on difficulties faced in implementing things (i.e. if they're easy to do, I'll do them sooner, if they're harder to do, they may get pushed back a version for a faster release turnover.)

This looks amazing! I can't wait to see what other things you'll add to this. Keep up the great work!!

I found this trying to trouble shoot my own Lego RR issues... (And why it wouldn't load.)

This is very impressive. Will keep an eye out on new developments of this Project!

It's great to see something in development that everyone will be able to use! :)
EDIT: I managed to get Logo Rock Raiders working using this method, but I've already read previously that this didn't work for you.

Nevertheless, I'll be sure to keep on-top of this project and follow it for updates!

T-34_Warrior

Hey @Rogod,

Your project is really awesome! I took the time to go through all your versions to see how fast you work. I was amazed when I stumbled upon this project of yours.
I would really like to join your project. I could animate the characters and monsters and model/rig them too. further more polish the models for you. maybe HD'fy the UI.
because I had the same idea of remaking RR. So I started with the Rapid riders as a starter. (purely because the geometry is simple and i wanted to learn hard surface moddeling too) :P

The Rapid Rider low poly- http://prntscr.com/f831ze

The Rapid Rider High poly with ID materials- http://prntscr.com/f832wv

The Rapid Rider in Substance painter- http://prntscr.com/f831zg

Here is low-poly Bastion to proof I can animate - https://www.artstation.com/artwork/bbDyg

Let me know what you think. :)

cheers,

T-34

Thanks guys :D
GLaD everyone likes the project

@T-34_Warrior

Ping me a message with a Unity collab ID and a Trello email address and I'll add you to the project.

I'd really appreciate some help with some of the animated models. - While I've not started fiddling with anything animated yet, I am aware I lack the programs/licenses to animate them myself. (I'm also probably way out of practice since the last time I animated a model.)

I'll probably stick to modelling the buildings myself so the style is consistent (unless you can replace them all in one fell swoop I guess ;)) but the monsters, minifigs, vehicles & slugs are going to need brought to life. :D

Feel free to dive into the code as well if you want to get some animations in for folks in the coming versions - not only will the models need to be able to move, but will need to move at the right time in the game of course. ;)

• Like 2

On 9-5-2017 at 8:25 AM, Pascal said:

Hey there, nice project! Looks like you made some good progress :)@tomfyhr is asking me for the slug model that's in my profile picture, and I will upload it soon. Are you interested in it too? :)

Hey @Rogod, finally had the time to upload it. You can find it here: https://sketchfab.com/models/6a8396586ba04cd3ae67eae86bc5e1e2#

I hope it will be useful for you! :)

kaitodaimon

Since it seems that you have hit a milestone in your project, may be it would be worth to release the source code, so others can directly help you with the project if you do not have time?

@Mikkel246 v0.08 is coming!
T-34 Warrior & I have been working on some new things for it :D

@kaitodaimon

I cannot make the source code open source as this is not an available construct in Unity collab. - I am happy to add people who can actually help of course. (FYI, a lot of the difficult stuff is already done, it's now just filling in the parts we haven't done yet & models/assets/anims which T-34 Warrior has well in hand.)

• Cyrem unfeatured this topic
  • Cyrem locked this topic