Lego Rock Raiders in Unity (Canceled)

Rogod

scrn32.PNG

They actually carry ore and crystals back and build power paths now! :D

Next up should be building sites & preventing them from spamming the same square with more ore than is needed. :P

Hard rock can be dug by raiders until dynamite/vehicles are in

No, vehicles are not in yet.

I'd have probably made their inclusion quite apparent with some screenshots, hype & at least a mention in my "What's in this version" list as this would be a major update.

The reason they are not on my "To do soon" list is because I don't intend on doing them soon. - All the other things on that list are far more important for the project at this stage.

If I wrote a list of everything that needs done on the project in total (e.g. training missions, saving/loading, vehicles, monsters, slugs, spiders, lava spread, credits, options, radar, etc.), it would not really be forum-friendly or worth mentioning at the 4th version release. (About 36hrs work so far)

scrn33.PNG

Finally got the building's leading powerpaths sorted out & the priorities panel working.

Making it so you can rotate them and the camera is probably next on the list.

Technic components posing some issues:

technic.PNG

Think I've got this though :af:

---

There we go:

upgradestation.PNG

Now to put it in the game.

Sorry guys, it probably won't do very much for a bit while I work on more pressing gameplay mechanics. :P

---

There, it can sit there until I figure out how to do something with it:

scrn34.PNG

It´s very authentic! The only major things that are missing are the vehicles and the e-fence. Other than that the gameplay is very solid. 

Could you create a web-browser version as well? 

My Unity adviser tells me creating a WebGL version is not really possible without re-designing the entire game.

The source will be available upon completion if somebody wishes to do this but this was not an aim of this project.

My aim here was to recreate the game so it was playable to the masses in the present day to avoid all the issues of backwards compatibility.

I don't mind providing versions of different desktop environments, but browser & mobile are largely out of the question due to some of the design decisions already taken regarding rendering & polygon count.

• Like 1

Ok, I can't seem to be able to build power paths or buildings, or really do anything besides teleport rock raiders to the planet, drill walls and collect ore and crystals.

My apologies - I got so used to the controls from when it was a tech demo that I forgot to post them.

• Use left mouse to issue a drill/dig command to where the blue box is.
  • Use the middle mouse to place a power-path starting block where the blue box is.
  • Use the right mouse to drag the camera around.
  • Use the scroll wheel to zoom in and out.
  • Use the arrow keys or WASD to rotate the camera around.

I'm working on clicking the terrain to do things like the original game at the moment. :)

• Like 1

Heh, it surprises even me how much I've done this week (especially as I've been at work, seeing people & at a conference mid-week).

Your project interests me because I remember making things in other engines and wanting to do it all alone. It's also a slightly different game, so I'm interested to see what you add to the game.

I started because I wanted to play Lego RockRaiders so intend to finish this to the best of my abilities. :D Even after play-testing FrozenFrenzy like 4 times, I still want to play. :D

• Like 1

Thanks for the help with the controls.

Anyway, I'm just now finishing up a run through Frozen Frenzy. It was relaxing to explore the map without all the landslides and monsters, but I was let down by the non-existence of the energy crystal cache.

Yeah sorry about that :(

That may be in the next version as I've already made sure the resources in walls match the original. (In the version you just played they're entirely random.)

Been working on building placement (it's harder than you'd think actually :o )
scrn36.PNG

Also wall/floor interaction is now as it should be - you click on walls/floors and they open the menu letting you do stuff to them. :D

---

Had to hack some water into Frozen Frenzy just to test the stoopid Docks (they were being stubborn :( )

scrn37.PNG

Woops - I've just noticed the docks mesh has been facing the wrong way this entire time :D

woops.PNG

• Like 1

One improvement from the original game is that it could be possible to make it possible to explore the LMS Explorer in third-person in this re-creation in Unity. The player never got to go into the LMS Explorer in the original game. 

Been meaning to comment on this project for a while now, I'm absolutely amazed by how quickly you put this together, and by how much content there already is!

I am actually also working on my own remake in unity ( I know, seems like everybody's doing it :P ), but haven't gotten very far, even though it's taken me maybe two months to get to where it's at now. Anyway, because you've already got the gameplay down to a tee, I was wondering if I could be of service regarding the graphics side of things. A little screenshot of how Driller Night looks currently: 

https://ibb.co/mzx66Q (I have no idea how you make an image show up in the forum)

I've written a few Shaders for the walls and the fluids that I think would look great in your project :)

• Like 2

@tomfyhr

Yeah this is something I'd be open to, but probably as an optional extra or for some part of the enhanced edition (after the main game).

@K2017
Thanks man, I'm GLaD the work is appreciated :)

I'm open to see what you can do, however major graphical changes I'd still want to keep separate (like the water I just put in) as an option or for the enhanced edition. I want people to be able to play as close to the original if they wish as well as some cooler new things for fun.

Let me know if you want added to the collab project, it's just me working on it for the moment although @Alcom Isst has access to the code as well so it's all set  up for Unity's collab service.

P.S. Images show up in the forum posts here if you get a link with the file extension in it rather than a link to an image servlet.

• Like 1

This may just be wishful thinking from my part, but it would be interesting to see the Rock Raiders explore other planets such as Mars or the Moon and face off against Martians and other creatures, where the HQ could have new models based on a Mars-theme or a Moon-theme. Does this sound feasible?

May be incorporate Power Miners models and monsters? 

May be even a space station were you can interact with other NPCs or may be even other online users in third-person view?

It would be fun if there were crystals in different colors, like orange, red or purple with different values. 

When I think of the interior of LMS Explorer, I always imagine like the hub world for LEGO Star Wars with the space station. 

Likely any extra missions I create (for an enhanced version or any other mode of play) would take place on some other planet with energy crystals, just to give things a bit more depth. - i.e. Maybe they continue mining for commercial purposes once they get home :)

• Like 1

Speaking of other modes. A Free Play Mode would be fun, where you can create your own caverns inside the game and the save them. It would also be fun to have your own base as a hub world, like in a Sims game, where you can customize it with new NPCs and other objects. 

• Like 1

@Rogod

I'll gladly join the collab! (How does it work by the way, I've never used collab)

Regarding graphics and stuff, I can start working on an option for enhanced or standard (legacy?) for a single build; would be a nice option, I think,  for the end user.

• Like 1

:D

I think you just need a Unity ID then just send me the email address in a private message here and I'll add you.

Then you'd probably want to get Unity 5.5.1f1 (just makes compatibility easier as that's what I'm using) and choose a project from the Cloud (rather than your local drive).

Any changes you make to files will show as pending commit which you can do in the top right (there'll be a new collab button where pending changes to push or pull will be shown).

It's not quite as strict as open source stuff, where I'd have to approve all changes, but as project owner I can essentially choose what to include or not.

---

Haven't been able to do any more the last couple of days (the system I program is going live to customers at work this week) but I thought some of you may be able to recognize this particular brick:

cab.PNG

New buildings (and maybe a vehicle or two) coming v0.07 ;)

• Like 1

• Cyrem unfeatured this topic
  • Cyrem locked this topic