Lego Rock Raiders in Unity (Canceled)

Rogod

This project has been shut down as any continuation would be in breach of intellectual property:

https://www.reddit.com/user/VideoGameAttorney/comments/6aesgv/nope_fan_games_can_still_ruin_your_life_free/

NzTL9o0.png

I still have all the files and associated work safe - the only way I will ever continue my work in this regard is with Lego's approval.

• Like 4

Are you looking for additional help? I haven't touched Unity in a while but this looks like a seriously enticing project.

• Like 2

I'm not going to stop anyone who wants to help. :D
Currently I'm just doing this for fun, but if it starts to take off, I can invest more time into it.

Nothing's set in stone yet, but if it seems better to use the original models, I'd be struggling to convert them to any modern format.

Alternatively, if it's decided that some upgraded models would be preferred for this updated version, I'd again be struggling to animate them.

As well as this, I am unsure how easily I'd be able to get hold of things like the level data to know more detail on what's in a wall/floor tile (i.e. ore count, can-spawn-monsters, is lava-able)

I'm sure there are other things I'd hit along the way (perhaps the AI?) but it's early days yet.

I think there's a way to use Unity's Cloud service to work collaboratively outside a team. (I use it for other projects with guys on my team.)

• Like 1

Cloud development sounds uncomfortable unless it has some very sturdy version control. I like git.

I can help with general programming, getting some nice game logic going, bug squashing, and AI. I've never done complex AI path-finding, I've only done force-based behaviors but I think I can handle something that mathy.

• Like 1

@Alcom Isst

This was a concern we had originally with Unity's Collab stuff, but it is essentially just like Git without branches but integrated into the IDE. - Git had some side effects when modifying scenes etc. on Unity projects.

I'd be happy for you to take care of AI if you want. I'd be implementing a heuristic find-my-way-with-obstacles type algorithm at best until i figured out A* but cutting straight to the chase would be awesome.

Ideally I wouldn't want the AI to change too much from the original. - However I've been thinking of maybe allowing this project to have 2 modes (chosen in the main menu) that lets it play like Normal RockRaiders as well as an alternate mode that puts in a few upgrades/tweaks for modern audiences.

@kaitek666

Sure, send me a link. :D!

---

Something I've worked on before of a similar style (back in Java using jPCT) in case people are interested in how far I can get with this:

Spoiler

VoxRaiders13.PNG

VoxRaiders12.PNG

VoxRaiders16.PNG

VoxRaiders23.PNG

I've just been kindly directed to the following:

I will use be using these models until further notice as I'll be able to get down a lot of the core functionality with the buildings alone. :)

Thanks, @tomfyhr

• Like 1

Oh wow, now I feel overshadowed a bit here, heh.

But I feel this may gain significant traction using Unity over another engine. (I've had bad experiences with extraneous 3rd party frameworks for other languages in the past.)

---

Of-the-minute update :)

scrn10.PNG

• Like 2

Testing the powerpath configurations & flashing power-icons above buildings.

I think the scale of the RockRaiders is a bit off :P (Looks about 120%?)

scrn17.PNG

Getting some buttons working on the UI & ore. Orefound.png!

scrn18.PNG

• Like 1

• lol username featured this topic

What about levels needs decoding? I could probably also help with that, I've worked with RRU levels before.

Add me to the collab. My Unity account info is [redacted]

• Like 1

Look neat (even spawned a subforum it looks like), but for Chief's sake turn down the lighting intensity!

Are you going to be releasing the source? Are you going to be changing the game mechanics?

• Like 1

Heh, yeah I did mean to tweak lighting but it slipped my mind while I handled other things. - Don't worry that'll be addressed.
I can release the source if folks want later, but it'll probably remain closed-source while it's being developed just to make managing things simpler.

I don't plan on changing any game mechanics in the classic version, but some things may be tweaked in the enhanced version.

The only thing you could consider a change thus far is physics on the ore & crystals, but I don't see this affecting classic gameplay so it'll probably stay in as a visual enhancement.

An example of a tweak I may introduce to the enhanced version is the extra 3 rows in the priorities window for "place fences", "place barriers" & "get tools" as the sprites exist and these can get annoying during play. (Also maybe an tweaked mining laser so it can actually be used to mine with.)

• Like 2

So I gave the "quick version" a go and... well, its pretty decent.

I mean, its not the full Rock Raiders experience, but based on what I've seen its some great progress. I hope this project ends well, as this (in my opinion, at least) has potential.

Although I must admit, I don't like the inclusion of Right-click-and-dragging to pan around the world, although I'm assuming this is a temporary fix until real camera controls are built in later. I must agree with @darkf, as the only other nit-pick I've got is that the "cursor light" is too bright (maybe you can tone it down in the future, once the gameplay is functional).

• Like 1

GLaD you liked it.

I appreciate what you're saying about the right-click-to-drag; I do intend on replicating the existing movement mechanics, but for the fact this can be played in windowed mode as well, I may allow right-click-to-drag as an option as I personally would have preferred this in the original game.

Curiously, the lighting isn't too much of a problem, it's actually just the surface reflection index. - But nevertheless, this'll be looked at more closely when I introduce the "Action stations!" function. :)

Ok I had intended on releasing a new version today, but as it's late and I've been at work all day too I only managed to bash out 4 new models rather than doing any coding.

Here's a mock up of them ingame:

scrn26.PNG

And here's the meshes up close:
scrn27.PNG

I've still yet to UV map the stickers, add the waggly arms to the top of the docks and add sparkles & particles to things.

I also want to do the support station before v0.03 so there's a nice splash of buildings to play with while more gameplay mechanics are brought to life.

Finished off the building materials & added the support station:

scrn28.PNG

Also made the UI build menu function more like it should & toned down the lighting.

• Like 1

Wow, that's some sexy Unity right there. Looks good. ^^

Makes me want to play the original game again.

• Like 2

:D That's what we're shooting for here.

Hopefully we'll all be able to play the original game in the comfort of a standard x64 environment.

• Like 1

The link you uploaded for the mac version has the windows versions NOT the mac version. Could you revise that? 

My apologies - the auto-formatting on forum posts here meant the link didn't refresh when I changed the text. :(
Both links should work now.

Not much to see yet in v0.04, but I have so far gotten the rock raiders to respond to commands given to dig, drill & reinforce walls.

They'll clip through everything on their way because there's no pathfinding AI yet, and they have no walk animation, but they do at least go for things according to the default priorities order.

The priorities order will just require linking up to the UI to behave as expected therefore.

Got to work on getting them to pick things up and know where to take them next.

It'll look a little funny for a while until we get some A* pathfinding going though. :)

(Still quite satisfying to go set them a load of orders n watch them carry them out in Frozen Frenzy again :D)

• Cyrem unfeatured this topic
  • Cyrem locked this topic