Rogod

Lego Rock Raiders in Unity

134 posts in this topic

Rogod    72
Rogod

RockRaiders Reborn

I figured I'd take a crack at recreating one of my favourite games of all time after I just couldn't get it to work on any computer.

It's still early days yet, but things have come along smoothly thus far. :ilaser:

Anyone wishing to help is more than welcome - we're lacking a few models & sprites.

My main motive for doing this, is to allow everyone to play RockRaiders on a modern computer without the headaches involved in getting it to work.

I plan to upgrade a few things (mostly visuals & bugs) in the process and may include an option for switching between classic mode & an enhanced mode.

Things I wish to address in the core project

• Fixed small teleporter & geological centre icons
  • Small rock monsters don't get stuck on walls
  • Raiders don't walk through lava
  • Slimey slugs don't reappear instantly after placing a scarer
  • Saving mid-level
  • Option to complete objective (rather than it just teleporting you out as soon as you win)
  • Getting stuck on raiders and other vehicles while driving

Possibilities for an enhanced mode include

• More levels
  • More units
  • More RockRaider minifigures
  • Multiplayer
  • More features for 1st/3rd person
  • Additions to priorities screen
  • More powerful mining laser
  • Ability to seal slimey slug holes with powerpath
  • Cut down hard rock drilling time on small digger with extra drill a bit (it feels like it takes an hour)
  • Larger maps
  • Expanded maps (I always felt there should be more to Frozen Frenzy at the back of the crystal lake)

But primary focus will be on converting & updating the original game for everyone to enjoy. :)

A link to the current Windows version will be maintained here:

http://updates.rogodigital.com/legorr/LegoRRv007.zip

Hid the original post for a more PR driven top-post:

Spoiler

Hi everyone, I figured here was the best place to post something I've been working on after flipping out trying to get Lego RockRaiders to work on WinXP/Win7/Win10 this evening:

scrn8.PNG

scrn4.PNG

Currently I've only extracted the textures out of the .wad and put them in a big tile-map (as a .png so it's comparatively small), I've made the map respond to digging walls correctly but interpreting the mission information will be a challenge and I can only model static meshes so things may diverge from a complete 1:1 remake, to more of an update-version. But who knows where this is headed. :)

(Elapsed dev time: ~6.5hrs)

• Like 4

Alcom Isst    1,544
Alcom Isst

Are you looking for additional help? I haven't touched Unity in a while but this looks like a seriously enticing project.

• Like 2

Rogod    72
Rogod

I'm not going to stop anyone who wants to help. :D
Currently I'm just doing this for fun, but if it starts to take off, I can invest more time into it.

Nothing's set in stone yet, but if it seems better to use the original models, I'd be struggling to convert them to any modern format.

Alternatively, if it's decided that some upgraded models would be preferred for this updated version, I'd again be struggling to animate them.

As well as this, I am unsure how easily I'd be able to get hold of things like the level data to know more detail on what's in a wall/floor tile (i.e. ore count, can-spawn-monsters, is lava-able)

I'm sure there are other things I'd hit along the way (perhaps the AI?) but it's early days yet.

I think there's a way to use Unity's Cloud service to work collaboratively outside a team. (I use it for other projects with guys on my team.)

• Like 1

Alcom Isst    1,544
Alcom Isst

Cloud development sounds uncomfortable unless it has some very sturdy version control. I like git.

I can help with general programming, getting some nice game logic going, bug squashing, and AI. I've never done complex AI path-finding, I've only done force-based behaviors but I think I can handle something that mathy.

• Like 1

kaitek666    22
kaitek666

That's some fine stuff :) In the meantime you could take a look at project of mine, which is basically the same concept, but in other language ;) 

Cheers!

Kajtek

• Like 1

Rogod    72
Rogod

@Alcom Isst

This was a concern we had originally with Unity's Collab stuff, but it is essentially just like Git without branches but integrated into the IDE. - Git had some side effects when modifying scenes etc. on Unity projects.

I'd be happy for you to take care of AI if you want. I'd be implementing a heuristic find-my-way-with-obstacles type algorithm at best until i figured out A* but cutting straight to the chase would be awesome.

Ideally I wouldn't want the AI to change too much from the original. - However I've been thinking of maybe allowing this project to have 2 modes (chosen in the main menu) that lets it play like Normal RockRaiders as well as an alternate mode that puts in a few upgrades/tweaks for modern audiences.

@kaitek666

Sure, send me a link. :D!

---

Something I've worked on before of a similar style (back in Java using jPCT) in case people are interested in how far I can get with this:

Spoiler

VoxRaiders13.PNG

VoxRaiders12.PNG

VoxRaiders16.PNG

VoxRaiders23.PNG

I've just been kindly directed to the following:

I will use be using these models until further notice as I'll be able to get down a lot of the core functionality with the buildings alone. :)

Thanks, @tomfyhr

• Like 1

Rogod    72
Rogod

Oh wow, now I feel overshadowed a bit here, heh.

But I feel this may gain significant traction using Unity over another engine. (I've had bad experiences with extraneous 3rd party frameworks for other languages in the past.)

---

Of-the-minute update :)

scrn10.PNG

• Like 2

kaitek666    22
kaitek666

Are you re-creating a whole game, or just building maps with map editor? It's a difference :/ 

• Like 1

Rogod    72
Rogod

Testing the powerpath configurations & flashing power-icons above buildings.

I think the scale of the RockRaiders is a bit off :P (Looks about 120%?)

scrn17.PNG

Getting some buttons working on the UI & ore. Orefound.png!

scrn18.PNG

• Like 1

Rogod    72
Rogod

Driller Night with physics:

scrn19.PNG

• Like 1

Rogod    72
Rogod

First look if people want to see what's going on:

http://updates.rogodigital.com/legorr/LegoRRv001.zip

:) Of course, it's a way off being playable but I've only spent about 14.5hrs on it. :D

I'd recommend running it at a fairly low 4:3 resolution as the menus aren't exactly polished yet. :P (You'll notice it's very easy to break the level-select screen with different resolutions.)

---

Current areas for investigation (if folks are wanting to help :) ):

• Power station model
  • Docks model
  • Upgrade station model
  • Ore refinery model
  • Geological centre model
  • Super teleport model
  • Rock monster model
  • Slimey slug model
  • All vehicle models
  • Bitmap font renderer for Unity (I can code this but if there's a faster way that might be easier)
  • Decoding levels into plaintext

There'll probably be other things along the way, but these are the immediate gaps in assets/code before things get real.

• Like 1

Alcom Isst    1,544
Alcom Isst

What about levels needs decoding? I could probably also help with that, I've worked with RRU levels before.

Add me to the collab. My Unity account info is [redacted]

• Like 1

darkf    13
darkf

Look neat (even spawned a subforum it looks like), but for Chief's sake turn down the lighting intensity!

Are you going to be releasing the source? Are you going to be changing the game mechanics?

• Like 1

Rogod    72
Rogod

Heh, yeah I did mean to tweak lighting but it slipped my mind while I handled other things. - Don't worry that'll be addressed.
I can release the source if folks want later, but it'll probably remain closed-source while it's being developed just to make managing things simpler.

I don't plan on changing any game mechanics in the classic version, but some things may be tweaked in the enhanced version.

The only thing you could consider a change thus far is physics on the ore & crystals, but I don't see this affecting classic gameplay so it'll probably stay in as a visual enhancement.

An example of a tweak I may introduce to the enhanced version is the extra 3 rows in the priorities window for "place fences", "place barriers" & "get tools" as the sprites exist and these can get annoying during play. (Also maybe an tweaked mining laser so it can actually be used to mine with.)

• Like 2

Ben24x7    1,115
Ben24x7

So I gave the "quick version" a go and... well, its pretty decent.

I mean, its not the full Rock Raiders experience, but based on what I've seen its some great progress. I hope this project ends well, as this (in my opinion, at least) has potential.

Although I must admit, I don't like the inclusion of Right-click-and-dragging to pan around the world, although I'm assuming this is a temporary fix until real camera controls are built in later. I must agree with @darkf, as the only other nit-pick I've got is that the "cursor light" is too bright (maybe you can tone it down in the future, once the gameplay is functional).

• Like 1

Rogod    72
Rogod

GLaD you liked it.

I appreciate what you're saying about the right-click-to-drag; I do intend on replicating the existing movement mechanics, but for the fact this can be played in windowed mode as well, I may allow right-click-to-drag as an option as I personally would have preferred this in the original game.

Curiously, the lighting isn't too much of a problem, it's actually just the surface reflection index. - But nevertheless, this'll be looked at more closely when I introduce the "Action stations!" function. :)

Rogod    72
Rogod

Ok I had intended on releasing a new version today, but as it's late and I've been at work all day too I only managed to bash out 4 new models rather than doing any coding.

Here's a mock up of them ingame:

scrn26.PNG

And here's the meshes up close:
scrn27.PNG

I've still yet to UV map the stickers, add the waggly arms to the top of the docks and add sparkles & particles to things.

I also want to do the support station before v0.03 so there's a nice splash of buildings to play with while more gameplay mechanics are brought to life.

• Like 1

Rogod    72
Rogod

Finished off the building materials & added the support station:

scrn28.PNG

Also made the UI build menu function more like it should & toned down the lighting.

• Like 1

Rogod    72
Rogod

Putting a new version out there for the new buildings and maps:

http://updates.rogodigital.com/legorr/LegoRRv003.zip
http://updates.rogodigital.com/legorr/LegoRRv003_Mac.zip

This version includes the following:

• "The Path to Power" & "Rubble Trouble"
  • Toned down lighting
  • 5 remodeled buildings with correct textures & materials
  • Powerpath that behaves more correctly (it updates properly, not just when you click somewhere)
  • A building menu (with buildings that can only be placed next to powerpath/water)
  • Tidied up code ready for basic Raider AI (coming v0.04!)

scrn29.PNG

So far, spent about 27hrs on this, so a long way to go yet.

• Like 2

Shadow322    46
Shadow322

Wow, that's some sexy Unity right there. Looks good. ^^

Makes me want to play the original game again.

• Like 2

Rogod    72
Rogod

:D That's what we're shooting for here.

Hopefully we'll all be able to play the original game in the comfort of a standard x64 environment.

• Like 1