Lego Rock Raiders in Unity (Canceled)

Rogod

geological%20centre.PNG

It probably won't do anything for a while, especially as the radar doesn't work yet - more important fish to fry :ilaser:

scrn39.PNG

• Like 2

Mikkel246

@Rogod

you are my hero, you are so dedicated to this, and I can't thank you enough for this amazing project!! keep up the good work <3 

:D No worries man - at the end of the day, I'm a fan too; I just want to play the game properly again: without the headaches and compatibility issues.

I flipped the other day when I couldn't get it to work on a Windows XP machine, 2 Windows 7 machines or a Windows 10 machine.

So I figured, "I've been making games for years (since I got the original Lego RR on CD at the age of 8) and not really getting anywhere significant with it - I'll just make this again - I know the guys at RRU will have a way to decompile the source & access the textures"

The rest of the story is captured in this thread ;D

Yep, I tried it ;)

I lost my cool - and remade the game from scratch ;)

I tried it with d3drm.dll from the Lego RockRaiders CD, the Lego Island CD & the internet. :(

Mikkel246

ohhh xD  

I am really looking forward to your next update. played the s*** out of it xD 

But there is a bug in the first map, the raiders can't move (something with the pathfinding i think) 

:D Hmm, wonder what could cause that. As far as I'm aware there should be no reason for them not to move at all. - If they can't do a command, they'll do a lower priority one instead.
On Driller Night because I haven't programmed tools yet they usually all go for that first patch of rubble on the floor - do they not go there for you at the start of the mission?

Are you sure it's registering when you click the drill button - because there is a bug for some reason with Unity's default buttons in this where the far right of each one doesn't register you clicked it.

The best way to tell is if the button's image indents.

Hopefully I can find a resolution for this longterm anyway, but for the moment I've just been making sure I click the buttons in the centre.

Ah right, ok, that's reproducible - I'll see if I can find a fix for this tomorrow night.

I think it's because they're trying to pick up ore but don't have anywhere to take it - my handling of this edge-case is presumably not correct and they're not being told to ignore these commands.

(In reality this wouldn't be an issue in the game anyway, because any time this occurs, the raider won't be carrying a spade, so they won't be able to dig up ore - but I'll try and fix it anyway.)

Mikkel246

im just here to help :D

I diont know if you have played Axel's Mod 1.5 of RR, but his priority list is realy good http://prntscr.com/f3tc4i and it works really well, you never feel like the raiders are ignoring your commands. maybe you could make it default in your game :D 

but then you have to change something with the drilling priority :/   

The priority list default will stay as it was in the original, but I'm planning on expanding it for the enhanced version where I'll also likely set it to a more preferable order.

The game files include a version of the panel with 12 slots and icons for building-barriers, getting food, collecting fences, refining ore, placing studs & getting tools - but I'll see what I can include effectively later.

One word: Flawless. 

Will the third-person and first-person views from the original game also be implemented? 

@tomfyhr

Yep, those will definitely be included.

I intend to add a few more abilities like digging, picking up & shooting rock monsters too, just to give them some purpose.

@Mikkel246

Just fixed that bug with the raider priorities. - Also put a temp-fix in for tooling issues on those sorts of missions where raiders will only have a drill until a toolstore is found. (Of course later they'll go and get the tools and it'll show up above their heads as usual.)

• Like 1

Will there be different kinds of Rock Raiders with different torsos to match their occupations? 

This is actually something I wanted to address, as they all make an appearance in the series & cutscenes, yet only the orange one appears in caves.

However for consistency with the original I'll have this as an option (probably on by default though as it'd be cooler).

An example of something that won't go in: (my latest failed experiment)

experiment.PNG

This is unfeasible due to polygon count, map update time, shading & volume of wall combinations.
Maybe one day when this is all finished I'll reconsider it, but this is NOT being included, I just wanted to show people. :)

• Like 2

The walls have been and will remain textures. I was trying out how the ice theme's solid rock would look if I modeled it.

• Like 2

lol username
4 hours ago, Rogod said:

This is actually something I wanted to address, as they all make an appearance in the series & cutscenes, yet only the orange one appears in caves.

However for consistency with the original I'll have this as an option (probably on by default though as it'd be cooler).

Here's how the original game was intended to handle multiple minifigure types (from this topic):

On 12/20/2010 at 11:40 PM, rrcoder said:

Originally the plan was to have all 5 rock-raider classes in the game, each with their own abilities. They would have been the subordinates of Jet, Sparks, Axle, etc. Time constraints nipped this in the bud early on though, which is why they are all 'Pilot'.

Edit: I believe this also answers an earlier question about the 'Barracks' building. The plan was that the teleport pad would beam down a 'generic' unit, and you would use the Barracks to train them in a particular ability (i.e. if you trained the generic character to fly, they would become a 'Pilot', and would look like Jet).

• Like 1

This might be a small insignificant detail, but I just realize that the buildings do not have plates as they do in the original game. 

Wouldn´t it be better to have tire-textures on the vehicles´ tires? 

• Cyrem unfeatured this topic
  • Cyrem locked this topic