What do we need/want in a LRR Remake?

Oxman_21

Hai everyone,

I am quite new to the forums, but have been reading some topic's. There are/were alot of people who wanted to remake LRR, and thats amazing. But unfortunately no one really continuous with there project. Now me idee was with this Topic, to make a list. This list will be in order of priority what we want as a group. 

So ill start with my first few things and we can add every time someone has a idee.

Priority List for a LRR Remake:

-Windows 7/8/10 Support

-Better AI 

-Make mining laser more usefull

-Better Textures

-Add Tunnel transport

One thing:

Either a reason to use Lasers for mining purposes (I mean, for crying out loud the "Mining Laser" can't even destroy a Dirt wall in one blast, or five, or ten) or remove them altogether.

17 hours ago, Ben24x7 said:

Either a reason to use Lasers for mining purposes (I mean, for crying out loud the "Mining Laser" can't even destroy a Dirt wall in one blast, or five, or ten) or remove them altogether.

i mean that's just something you can change with config values. allowing for more laser types and being able to aim and fire them in first-person mode would be a better point to make imo.

1 hour ago, Jessietail said:

i mean that's just something you can change with config values. allowing for more laser types and being able to aim and fire them in first-person mode would be a better point to make imo.

Keep lasers! In vanilla they're useless as trash and I've never used them. However, if you start setting the crystal drain to 0 and the recharge time to 0.04s.... then we have something fun. Check out Time Raiders - that's a rather shiny example. Baz's Mod wasn't too amazing in that their crystal drain was still too high.

What I've done is turn the Small Mobile Laser Cutter's laser into a solely defensive laser - deals high damage to monsters but can't smash walls. The Large Mobile Laser Cutter's laser is directly the opposite - smashes Hard Rock in one hit but deals puny damage to monsters.

The Mining Laser is both and is now a bastion of complete OP-ness. >:D Of course, it can't move, but it is cheap....

I also had success stuffing the same Defensive Laser on top of the Loader Dozer instead of those rubbishy buckets - so instead of upgrading carry, you upgrade its lasers, and now you can actually get rid of a monster stunlocking your Loader Dozer. (You can also set them to do variable damage - they do 0.1 damage to Loader Dozers but much more to monsters).

Lasers are also really good against slugs. Lasers blow up normal (octagonal) Power Paths but they don't blow up the square (building) ones. Wait for a slug to walk onto that and SHOOT IT DOWN!

(Oh, and for some reason the game doesn't like a new addition to WeaponTypes. Not quite sure why)

What is an absolute shame is that a) you can only control one laser at a time, b) you can't use them in first person mode, and c) they are never automatic. I'd really like an autonomous Defense Station that just shoots any monster in range, as well as "Drill Wall / Dynamite Wall / Laser Wall" on the options for auto-drilling walls. Along with drag-select for multiple lasers and some way of deselecting them.

-Add Tunnel transport

Easily doable with mods. The reason it's still useless is because no levels require Small Vehicles transported over... well... anything they can't drive over. The TT only picks up the Small Digger and Small Transport Truck (and Hover Scout, but that's a waste of time), and if you tell it to pick up ore and crystals it'll prioritize those over its normal targets.

About that Hover Scout - It's doable in LRR already (and hasn't been done, but it is doable; just add a couple of nulls to its turn, move, and idle animations - heck, it's doable in Notepad, but rather fiddly), but I want an Upgrade Carry function that allows it to carry just 1. So I can have a whole fleet of super-fast Hover Scouts ferrying ore (and studs, that's a problem/bug ; vehicles can't carry studs) to wherever it's needed.

-Better Textures

Meh, I'm a gameplay-over-graphics person myself and I don't mind the awful models. Nicer graphics are just that - nice, but not necessary.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

A more combat-smart RR AI would be nice, especially RRs actually shooting frozen monsters with Laser Beams (you have to grab a laser and gun it yourself). Maybe strategic usage of Pusher Beams to move monsters into lava / electric fences?... though that's rather advanced... Also combat targeting as opposed to picking a random monster on the map per shot - just arm a raider in Rocky Horror and press Action Stations. He'll consistently wander and fire out of range at different monsters... can't we get some form of targeting, even if you have to tell individual raiders (which does have its benefits) to be a Scouting Attacker, a Defending Attacker, or a Sleeping Attacker (for monsters far away, close by, or sleeping respectively).

------------------------------------------------------------------

On a completely different note, sometimes I get a bit sick of building LRR HQ up from a Tool Store (see especially Lake of Fire and Hot Stuff). Starting with a fully functional HQ (and even a mining fleet?) would be nice.

That is a really good well explained list of things you liked different. thank you.

I agree on the texture's but thats why it is low on the list not necessary but a nice add.

Let's hope someone will ever make a simple remake of LRR just so that everyone can play it on a modern windows with ease.

12 hours ago, aidenpons said:

What I've done is...

uh ok? i mean this is pretty much all config/modeling/level stuff you've listed aside from AI and auto-lasers, i was under the assumption that when people talk about "additions" they're talking about engine stuff since we can't alter that that like we can the config/modeling/level stuff (and the game's so ancient it wouldn't matter if we could), and not just "the tunnel transport should be enabled by default" but the latter is inevitably the only sort of thing that ever gets talked about when these sorts of topics come up when I'd think stuff like the possibility of customizable wall types, more environment objects and threats, multi-layer level maps, etc. would be a way bigger deal.

12 hours ago, aidenpons said:

Meh, I'm a gameplay-over-graphics person myself and I don't mind the awful models. Nicer graphics are just that - nice, but not necessary.

3 hours ago, Oxman_21 said:

I agree on the texture's but thats why it is low on the list not necessary but a nice add.

it's 2017 lmao we all have more than 128 MB RAM now

Main thing I want is better controls -- WASD to pan the camera, Q/E to rotate, and ideally keyboard shortcuts for actions / buildings.

(Thankfully this is possible by patching the engine (and I did for WASD), it's just annoying to do.)

Secondarily would be fixing the rendering engine (culling and transparency is bad) and adding better graphical effects.

Thirdly would be nicer rock presentation -- either with the higher-LOD promeshes, or even better by procedurally tessellating them. Bonus points for a project with better textures and bump/parallax mapping.

Oh, and a better FPS mode, with adjustable FoV and the ability to do anything normal raiders do, as you can in Dungeon Keeper.

uh ok? i mean this is pretty much all config/modeling/level stuff you've listed aside from AI and auto-lasers, i was under the assumption that when people talk about "additions" they're talking about engine stuff since we can't alter that that like we can the config/modeling/level stuff (and the game's so ancient it wouldn't matter if we could), and not just "the tunnel transport should be enabled by default" but the latter is inevitably the only sort of thing that ever gets talked about when these sorts of topics come up when I'd think stuff like the possibility of customizable wall types, more environment objects and threats, multi-layer level maps, etc. would be a way bigger deal.

The idea was to say "You don't need a remake to make lasers useful." I was providing examples (& a plug, I do apologise...) to show that lasers can be modded to be useful without even a remake.

11 hours ago, Jessietail said:

it's 2017 lmao we all have more than 128 MB RAM now

one laptop I have is running 512 MB, and my laptop for my final year of school was running 2 GB & lagged on large (modded) LRR maps l405G.jpg

To be honest all I want in an LRR remake is a better RR AI, a better monster AI, and a lack of crashing. I don't hugely feel the need for a new idea as all LRR is lacking (to me) are those three, then you'd have a game I'd never stop playing. *shrugs*

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.