kaitek666

Rock Raiders Remastered

kaitek666

qKHvBF8.png

Rock Raiders Remastered
Copryight  © 2016-2017 by Keep Away From Fire & Kajetan Krawczyk

Official site: http://kajtekjestem.pl/rr-remastered/

[Progression of revealing more info depends on interest and questions you ask. Feel free to ask me anything about the game :) ]

Temporary name for a project is CRR which stands for Canvas Rock Raiders. This will probably be changed.

vO42LujfqHGuL_R_FB-AIHYP9tFj7NjZLc8UPn4XmLKbFmci5b9KmCXQU20LsfJj3RM8YLAab1bR8X7A

4_u_57wnRjg9F4MVpSh32_nLMNUNrWKly0G1Sam1         EAcSWBwwOrvtlGFqrZaUNoU41EbTKIlmBF4JXTk8

OhLuLirafkpkUZ-4d-HmG-PKELAQ40bvgeVl6J2J        m3x9e3Q_6HWzWq3XvjVpXd3SyrVMldv2lp7uBDK3

Features:

• Multi platform. Game will be published for Windows, and then for Linux and Mac.
  • Compatibility with new hardware and software: Will work on most devices. Starting from Windows 10 Tablets, through your dusty netbook, and to high-end PC.
  • 1080p60fps guaranteed.
  • Open-Source, which means its possibilities to mod are endless. I finish the game, you have fun with it. :)
  • Completely rewritten game, all its aspects and some new exclusive features in place.
  • Dynamic lighting and fancy shaders to improve looks ;)
  • Rewritten map editor
  • ...more info coming soon :)

Software used:

Game is written in JavaScript and is using BabylonJS as main engine and currently DOM + jQuery for UI.

Screenshots

Render gallery: https://goo.gl/photos/d2q8Fx7XK7DeMd2b8

Game screenshots: https://goo.gl/photos/JGzJtUGnPu6NxRdn7

Map Editor: https://goo.gl/photos/bvS3X7qBUxFaCN6g7

In the following changelog, elements with a   ✓  symbol, are the ones that came with last post update.

What's done:

• Windows game client
  • reading map from file
  • all rocks are present in game
  • basic UI (will think about rewriting it to bGUI)
  • all buildings are re-created (models) and some of them are already in game.
  • pathfinding algorithms implemented into an engine
  • ✓ displacement maps for rocks (improved)
  • ✓ camera movements (✓ improved)

What needs to be done:

• self-updater for Windows client
  • rest of buildings
  • artificial intelligence of Rock Raiders
  • performance adjustments
  • finish UI  (animations & selecting multiple units)
  • animations for Rock Raiders, vehicles and buildings
  • vehicles needs to be re-created (models) and programmed into a game
  • background music
  • in-game sound
  • rock monsters, slimy slugs, and basically any other threats that can happen to a player
  • destroying rocks
  • Rock Raiders (now, they are only standing still and can be commanded to change position)
  • ...and much more! Will keep adding

What I'm having most trouble with:

• displacement maps for terrain
  • performance, in some cases
  • local storage (saving game files to files)
  • 4k support (performance issues)

Q&A:

Q: Will it be free to download and play?

A: Of course it will. I have no rights to sell this product. Its source code will be also released on GitHub.

Q: Can I become a beta tester?

A: Complete your request here: http://kajtekjestem.pl/rr-remastered/beta.php

Q: Is it going to differ from original game in any way?

A: Yes, it is. Engine is different, so will be the game. Just a little bit. I'm trying to maintain same nostalgic feeling you had from your childhood.

Q: Are you planning any additions into a game?

A: Yes! I'm planning to make it more entertaining to play, harder to get bored of. You'll see by yourself!

Q: I'm good at [...] and I could help you with [...]!

A: Thanks a lot, but I have reasons to finish off this project by myself. I want it to appear on my portfolio as a game I created all alone.

Q: [Any other question]

A: Ask here! You can post in this topic or private message me on RRU.

If you smash that like underneath my post, it will motivate for harder work. :) 

Copyright (C) 2016-2017 by Keep Away From Fire & Kajetan Krawczyk

• Like 13

Terrev

Sure been a lot of LRR remake attempts appearing lately, though I'm not complaining, maybe one of them will finally be finished eventually haha.

I'm not sure this is really the sort of community to "get hyped" especially given how many of these projects there's been since... well, nearly since the site began, but if you can show you've got something functional and promising I'll put in the featured topics list like the other ongoing projects. People generally like to know what languages/engine you may be using and such. The screenshots you've got look nice, though I'm wondering why there's an Exploriens logo on the Power Station lol.

• Like 1

WillKirkby

I can't help but be skeptical thanks to the timing of this post.

• Like 4

Jessietail
1 hour ago, Terrev said:

People generally like to know what languages/engine you may be using and such.

I'd additionally like to know how moddable any one of these remakes is planned. Is it gonna be fairly restrictive or a similar openness to the original, or wildly open modding abilities (multi-layer maps when?) or whatever like that.

Gotta say tho I like how lately all of these "hey guys I'm remaking LRR too" threads all shows at least some amount of progress instead of just throwing around promises like they used to.

I must say though, re-appearing out of the blue six years later with a remake in progress is pretty odd. if this is an elaborate prank, well uh... why lmao

Terrev
1 minute ago, WillKirkby said:

lol yeah it is pretty funny timing (but also quite comparable to the remake projects people have going, so...)

• Like 2

darkf
4 hours ago, Ringtail said:

I'd additionally like to know how moddable any one of these remakes is planned. Is it gonna be fairly restrictive or a similar openness to the original, or wildly open modding abilities (multi-layer maps when?) or whatever like that.

Well not sure about this one, but mine will be open to arbitrary source code modification (read: endless possibilities), and I've already got at least one interesting game mode planned (which is different enough from the base game to be interesting, and is more interesting to me in particular).
It is, however, a lot of work, which is why so many of these projects go quiet.

How would multi-layer maps work? How would depth work in a mostly top-down RTS game?

Anyway -- this looks really nice, I love the dark lighting with the glow especially. Looks like you're using custom models as well, interesting choice + they look pretty nice! Any reason in particular you chose to go that route instead of using the originals?

I'd suggest just telling us more about it instead of arbitrarily withholding information, BTW. We're all curious folk here.

I do really love how spooked everyone is getting with the recent remake threads! :D

kaitek666
5 hours ago, Terrev said:

People generally like to know what languages/engine you may be using and such

but mine will be open to arbitrary source code modification v

@Terrev& @darkf: Game will be open-source, because of language it's written in. I'm using JavaScript. Engine I'm working on is BabylonJS. :) 

I will push its source to Github one day, once it's more complete.

though I'm wondering why there's an Exploriens logo on the Power Station lol.

Haha, funny enough, I'm using Stud.IO to build models, and then compile them using  Maya 2017 or Blender. Assortment of bricks in Stud.IO has no Rock Raiders elements in it, so I had to improvise. :)

I must say though, re-appearing out of the blue six years later with a remake in progress is pretty odd. if this is an elaborate prank, well uh... why lmao

@WillKirkby, @RingtailHonestly, I wanted to create a new account to publish this topic, but I noticed I have one already, so.. why not? :) I can understand you can be skeptical, and you cannot trust me, mostly because I'm a random person on the Internet. But yeah, still, April Fools Day might not have been a good time to post it, haha! Didn't even think about it!

I will answer any question you ask me. Every question I'm asked and I answer, is being placed into topic head post.

Thanks for your interest and I'm waiting to answer more questions :)

Kajtek

• Like 1

darkf

Gee, I'm also spooked at how many of us are doing it in JS (though I'm not using Babylon -- how are you getting along with it?)

My question still stands -- any particular reason you're remodeling the buildings instead of using the originals, since you're using the original textures and UI otherwise?

I didn't even notice it was April Fools. <.< Gosh.

kaitek666
36 minutes ago, darkf said:

though I'm not using Babylon -- how are you getting along with it?

Currently, out of all JavaScript choices I had, this is the best one.

any particular reason you're remodeling the buildings instead of using the originals, since you're using the original textures and UI otherwise?

The main problem was exporting them to my engine. Then I realized I can re-build all buildings and add my own same-styled ones while I'm modding the game.  I really hated quality of original buildings, so I decided to remodel them. UI and textures are still the same to make player still have just a little bit nostalgia and a felling he (or she)'s playing something similar to a 1999 original title. @darkf

• Like 1

Jessietail
2 hours ago, darkf said:

any particular reason you're remodeling the buildings instead of using the originals

aside from the above reason he said, I'd assume it'd also be because the original models are so low-poly compared to what newer engines can handle

• Like 1

Terrev

Aaaaand featured~ Keep it up!

• Like 2

Fragrant

This looks pretty good.

• Like 1

kaitek666

Main post updated. Some screenshots etc. Enjoy! ;) 

Shadow322

All I can say it day-um, those are some lovely building models.

Do you plan on modeling 3d tiles or the map texture tiles? Like crystals and Ore coming out of the walls, lava being less flat, slimy slug holes really sinking into the ground, like that sorta stuff?

Also would the HUD be giving a 3D overhaul too?

• Like 1

Xir

I have nothing against the project in this thread, but there is one thing I have to wonder at this point; With more rock raider remakes than I can count on two hands in existence, instead of everyone being so sparsed burning energy on making countless remakes from the ground up where many have been before and whilst never making it to completion, why don't we yet have a team effort on making a completed RR remake?

darkf

Like someone pointed out in the chatbox, all of the projects have different goals and the authors largely prefer to work alone.
At least with recent activity there is a decent chance one of them will be finished at some point in time, unlike the graveyard page of remakes on the wiki.

Furthermore, you only have two hooves, what are these hands you speak of?

kaitek666
16 hours ago, Shadow322 said:

Do you plan on modeling 3d tiles or the map texture tiles? Like crystals and Ore coming out of the walls, lava being less flat, slimy slug holes really sinking into the ground, like that sorta stuff?

Well, my main target is to rework the game first. After making sure it's working and it has all aspects of original title, I will start working on visual improvements like you mentioned above.  @Shadow322

@darkf 

all of the projects have different goals and the authors largely prefer to work alone.

The main reason for that is that I want to place it on my portfolio later. Later on, after releasing this one, I want to create an entire team. 

Well, these are my plans, future will bring what it's gonna bring.

Edited by kaitek666
update

kaitek666

I  thought I can give you some update about my project ;)

Since last 2 weeks I've been working on path finding algorithms and artificial intelligence of Rock Raiders. That's why I have nothing to show you from my game, but in the meantime, while I was not available on my PC, I work at building objects for a game. For example, when I'm on my Windows 10 tablet.

Here I bring you 2 more renders to satisfy your hunger for Rock Raiders Remastered ;) !

zNCz0-9C-_tjFdBlEfxiuACBuD0-8meaWts-v8Gl

Heavy Chrome Crusher 

This is something you haven't seen in an original game.
This is one of some additions to a game. Unfortunately, there also will be some cuts of content from original title.

It's very similar to Chrome Crusher, but (as you noticed) wheels have been replaced by treads.

Its base is a bit narrower, and whole vehicle is more tough.

qAQGHCKVRUrGDGt0_CsNs7ykbSWaVDxjAZB69Jib

Support Station

Just the same as in original game. Some slight changes, but overall, it's the same.

I remind you, that all renders are available in high resolution in my Google Photos album:  https://goo.gl/photos/d2q8Fx7XK7DeMd2b8

Cheers!

Kajtek

• Like 1

kaitek666

From now on, you can sign up to beta test RR Remastered. Just visit this site, complete form and.. done!

You will be informed as soon as there's something to test.

There are A LOT of beta testing slots. Sign up today!! :)

darkf

>Your full name:

> Has no special characters

Buddy I'm not sure you tested this.

• Like 2

kaitek666
39 minutes ago, darkf said:

>Your full name:

> Has no special characters

Buddy I'm not sure you tested this.

Yeah I Just noticed you cannot type in a space haha, ill fix that. :)

• Like 1

Jessietail
On 4/1/2017 at 1:39 AM, darkf said:

How would multi-layer maps work? How would depth work in a mostly top-down RTS game?

I guess something like they do now but with multiple maps piled on top of each other, and floors having types too instead of just walls since you could presumably tunnel down through those as well given the right vehicles; and i guess like depth arrows or something to move up and down the layers? and with big caverns you could see lower layers much fainter than the one you're on, since it's sort of an isometric top-down it'd be easier to see that stuff than pure top-down i guess? i dunno.

Cirevam

What are you using for model and animation formats? I see the programs you're using but I wonder about the actual formats, if animations are baked into the models or not, etc.

• Like 1

kaitek666
On 5/2/2017 at 4:00 AM, Cirevam said:

What are you using for model and animation formats? I see the programs you're using but I wonder about the actual formats, if animations are baked into the models or not, etc.

I'm animating them in Autodesk Maya, then exporting to Blender, to convert it to .babylon  scene file. All my models are in .babylon  format :)

Cheers,

Kajtek

• Like 1

kaitek666

Thanks to everybody for signing up in beta testing. I've recieved a lot of applications, and there are still free slots!

Beta testers will be granted unique username and password to log in and download new version when available (wait a couple of days for emails) :) 

You can register for beta testing here: http://kajtekjestem.pl/rr-remastered/beta.php