Yutyocraft

Which Lego Island is the best?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which Lego Island is the best?

• Lego Island 1 by Mindscape
    • Lego Island 2 by Silicon Dreams Studio
    • Lego Island Xtreme Stunts by Silicon Dreams Studio
    • Lego Island Redux by Brandon Philips

the online comic adventures were some of the greatest pieces of fine art ever created in all of humanity's two hundred thousand years on this forsaken planet

1 hour ago, Yutyocraft said:

I  need to know

Not exactly the wording I'd use but sure, lemme go through each of the islands and say my thoughts on 'em:

LI1 ISLAND:

The one I spent most of my childhood with, which probably explains why I've got such utter nostalgia for the place. It may be the smallest of the islands and being forced to stay on the paths is still a bit eh, but in terms of charm and things to do? This place beats out the rest by a country mile. The majority of buildings being actual places you can enter also adds to that sense of liveliness LI1 gives off, since it makes 'em more than just "large piece of scenery #28". I like this island, I like it a lot. It's the definition of "bigger doesn't always mean better".

LI2 ISLAND:

It's... alright I guess? There's not an excessive amount to do (the majority of buildings are just scenery, and the one that isn't has one of those godawful load times attached) and although you've got a bit more freedom of movement around the place (it's a lot bigger than LI1 and you're no longer restricted to the paths), it's just a bit... unappealing? Some of the charm from LI1 is still there, but in more measured quantities compared to the outright bizarreness of the original. I will give it points for having a train though, trains are cool.

Oh, and the grass is a horrible shade of green. Nobody likes the bright-green grass. Nobody. 

LIXS ISLAND:

I'm somewhat divided on this last one. It's the largest of the three and it's certainly got a lot more substance in terms of activities than LI2's, but it somehow lacks that certain charm that LI1 had. They went all-out with the "XTREME STUNTS" stuff in an attempt to appeal to the hip youth culture of 2003, but sorta left behind what made LI so special in the first place - the sense of liveliness. There's all sorts of things to collect and cars to drive about in and missions to do, but the tone is just very... bland. It just feels like a bog-standard open world, and that goes against LI's tone completely. So whilst it's the most advanced outta the three... it just can't beat the original (it sure as hell beats LI2 though, because there's stuff to actually do here).

All in all, I voted for LI1's island. Maybe I'm clouded by nostalgia slightly (I probably am aren't I), but after having a detailed look through 'em all I gotta say it's the one I like the most. 11/10 island will protect with my life.

To be honest they're all pretty awful...

- IXS - There's nothing really special for this one. It's just a solid meh for me. It's not even particularly amusing to cause to break. (Or maybe I'm just not in the "hip market" that Ayliffe was talking about). The final boss boulder-rush is really badly done, or maybe I just hate that type of game. It's just too sodding long.

- LI2 - About three fun minigames (Biplane was gold.... was), I'll definitely give you that. Nice that it mixes around all sorts of themes - I particularly like Dino and Castle Island. However, many of the other minigames are pretty bland and hunting down the Brickster Bots with the radio is plain boring. Also loading times put me off this game -.- 

- LI1 - Mostly notable because of the very weird ways in which the game decides to explode. Also has in my opinion, the best voice acting of the lot. A fun game, and to me the best not so much because it's good as because the others are pretty shoddy.

I haven't played anything else (PC master raaaaaaaaace) so I can't comment.

+5 CYNICISM

• 2 weeks later...

For me it would probably be LI2. (I havent played LIXS much however)

My reasoning is people love to dig on the minigames in LI2, but LI1 had worse minigames in my opinion. Atleast the LI2 minigames had some content to them, where as most the LI1 minigames are drive to a point, watch a cut scene, then drive back to where you started the mission. And the final minigame (throwing pizza at brickster) is also a very poor minigame, though the other brickster minigames are pretty fun. Then theres the fact they just lazily repeated the same minigames for each character, making it pointless to play as anyone but pepper as he has the brickster minigame on top. What LI1 has over LI2 is the free roam, and much better interactions. The cutscenes are kinda funny still, and the voice acting while cheesy is not awful like in LI2. But really other than nostalgia value, this game hasn't aged well at all.  I loved it as a kid, but these days the bad points really stick out in my opinion. While I wouldn't call LI2 a perfect game either, it has more content and I usually spend longer than an hour whenever I decide to play it again.

From a gameplay perspective, IXS is the best. The minigames are decently varied despite them mostly revolving around driving. Exploration is encouraged through brickimal bricks and character cards scattered about the island. The physics aren't ridiculous compared to LI2. I plan on playing it again.

LI2 is a hot mess, but it does have a "plot" and its minigames are extremely varied. It would be a decent game if the loading times weren't 10% of the total gameplay and if its various issues were ironed out. But that would make it IXS. LI2 is to LEGO games as Zelda II is to the Legend of Zelda series. It wasn't really great, but no one knew where the series would go this early on, so they tried different things.

LI1 isn't a game. It's a playset where you walk around, watch people jump out of nowhere to scream at you (WOOOHOHO MY GOODNESS GRACIOUS), turn flowers to cups, and occasionally build a car or deliver a pizza. Two of the minigames are races on unique tracks, while three of them are the exact same thing with a different route (drive from A to B, watch cutscene as Robb said). These games barely change for each character. The pizza routes change but that's it, I think. Only Pepper has a minigame unique to him and it's kinda bad. This wasn't a problem when the game came out because I was 7 years old, which is within the target demographic. At that time, I remember the helicopter portion of the Brickster chase being a load of garbage and I still think that today, if that's helpful.

Despite that, LI1 has a lot going for it. It's the first LEGO game, and it has really good voice acting for a late-90's PC game. The graphics are decent for the time, and the stereo effects are pretty neat. It also has lots of classic music. I think IXS has better music, but LI1's is more memorable. We don't talk about LI2's music.

• Like 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.