Converting the race tracks to different games

URV

Good day!

I am URV, an active member of the Re-Volt community. Recently, I've been getting increasingly enticed by the possibility of creating custom content for the game, and one of the ideas I've had in my mind for years is to convert various race tracks and vehicles from the LEGO Racers series.

Converting content from other old games is certainly plausible. One person, for example, has recently converted two tracks from old Nintendo 64 games one from Mario Kart 64, and the other from Penny Racers. If you are interested in seeing what they look like in Re-Volt, they're covered in this video.

In any case, what I would like to know before I do any research is whether it would be possible to extract the race track models and textures from LEGO Racers, either from the PC version or its N64 counterpart, and what would be the best way to go about it. Any ideas?

• Like 3

Hello, first of all I would like to say that I'm a huge Re-Volt fan and thought about the very same thing you are asking. I have made Lego Racers inspired maps to run on Unreal Engine (but they were made from scratch). I did use however, textures ripped from the game and track files as reference so those exist. I don't know how you can go about using them for Re-Volt but I do know files of the tracks exist and I am sure someone else can provide you with them or you can try to find them on posts from this forum. Also, extracting the textures is easy now thanks to all the utilities made by this awesome community. I hope someone else can help you out more, so good luck!

PS: Here's one of the maps I've made in case you are curious

It's certainly possible. First you'll need to extract the game data:

And here's a tool to convert the models to a more usable format:

LEGO Racers makes heavy use of vertex colors in its models. As for textures, I don't remember off the top of my head what the best way to rip or convert them from their custom format is, but I know there's something somewhere...

2 hours ago, Terrev said:

As for textures, I don't remember off the top of my head what the best way to rip or convert them from their custom format is, but I know there's something somewhere...

Thank you very much for the quick replies! I think this will be enough to get me started. I'll give it a shot this week and let you guys know if I manage to get the track in-game.

grappigegovert

I just want to point out that the gdb to ply converter does not include the texture coordinates, because the ply format doesn't support that.
If you know of a good 3d format which includes both vertex colors and texture coordinates, I can probably whip up a converter for ya.

If that is the case, then yes, a different converter would be extremely helpful. Thanks for the offer! I'm not entirely certain what would be the best file format to convert to, but .DAE should do the job. Alternatively, I think .OBJ or .ASE (preferably the former) might work as well.

obj doesn't officially/consistently support vertex colors so I wouldn't recommend that. Sure you can easily include such data in the file if you want, it's a simple format, but that doesn't help when it comes to other programs reading said data, since there's no standard for it. Again, I'd recommend COLLADA/.dae as it's a widely supported format designed exactly for this sort of usage (I'm not sure any of the tools I use even know what .ase is, haha).

• 1 month later...

Hello! We finally gathered a team to work on converting the tracks to Re-Volt. However, we think we could really use the help of someone from here who's familiar with the game files. Would anyone be interested in joining our project? We currently use a Discord DM group to communicate, and it would be preferable to stick to that.

• 3 years later...
On 2/22/2017 at 12:08 AM, grappigegovert said:

I just want to point out that the gdb to ply converter does not include the texture coordinates, because the ply format doesn't support that.
If you know of a good 3d format which includes both vertex colors and texture coordinates, I can probably whip up a converter for ya.

Did you make a .gdb to .dae exporter? It's a better format to export models. If yes, where do i can download it? =]

grappigegovert
5 hours ago, Machow8 said:

Did you make a .gdb to .dae exporter? It's a better format to export models. If yes, where do i can download it? =]

I did look into that once, but as fas as I remember, the .dae format is very loosely defined, so different programs import/export only different parts of the file, which is not ideal when making a converter.

I think the best route would be to create importer/exporter plugins for the 3d software that people use, but none have been made (publicly) so far.
I'm afraid that your best option right now is to use my old .ply converter (or make your own ;) )

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.