Rock Raiders | A Written Adapation of LRR

Rock Raider Obsidian

Rock Raider Obsidian

Okay, so, I've decided that this is something I want to do. I want to adapt Lego Rock Raiders into a novel. I figured it would be a cool idea to start this thread and kind of keep a running log of production and also it would be a good way to provide updates whenever a new chapter was up, as that's how I write: I post each chapter as I finish it.

Since forum posts aren't the greatest method of producing fan fiction, I think it would be best if I posted to both WattPad and Fanfiction.net.

A few things I think are noteworthy that I should mention ahead of time, to give people an idea of what's more than likely going to come out of this.

-I'm going to try to strike a balance between staying true to the original material and telling a good story, but because the original material is very...basic, I guess? Simplistic in its narrative style and characterization, I'm going to be taking a great deal of liberties. Which is why I think adaptation is more accurate than novelization.

-I tend to write darker stories with more adult themes. Now, I'm not going to go out of my way to have explicit sex scenes, brutal violence or gore, or a lot of harsh language, but this will be a grim tale of survival in a dangerous alien environment. People will die. Bad stuff is going to happen.

-In terms of genre, I'd say this is largely a Survival Sci-Fi/Action story, with elements of horror, mystery, and romance throughout.

-Characters. I'm going to use the core cast as a base, but I'm going to introduce new characters and also I'm going to make some fundamental changes to the already established characters. One of my primary reasons for doing this is because, around the time I started writing original fiction, I began to seriously attempt to diversify my cast of characters in terms of race, gender and sexual orientation.  I figured this would be a welcome change given the diverse nature of the fanbase here at RRU.

-This is going to be a long project. I'm going to take a lot of time to flesh my ideas out for characters, events, environments, etc. As such, and because this is basically a project of passion, I probably won't be able to keep up a consistent upload schedule, as I'll also be committed to a minimum of two other projects simultaneously, probably three. However, I hate it when people suddenly go silent for long periods with time with no updates, so if it's been too long since I've made an update, either to the story or to the forums, absolutely feel free to message me directly. I always try to be honest and transparent with readers. If I haven't updated because I've been having a lazy week, or because there was some kind of life emergency, or because I'm too bogged down with other projects, I'll let you know.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Currently I'm in the very early planning stages. Like, really early. Pre-production, basically. I'm still gathering all relevant data on the universe so that I know what tools and building blocks I have to work with. Then I can figure out the story and changes I need to make and all that other stuff.

I'd say that the actual writing is at least a month off, possibly two. I've just discovered that the PS1 Rock Raiders game is actually not a port and instead a completely different game that adds to the story. I had no idea about this and I purchased a copy. It's on its way here now. I'm going to play through it to add to my growing list of ideas.

Finally, some of you may have seen the cover art I had created in my original post. I ultimately decided that I couldn't make that style of cover work. It just didn't look good enough for my own personal standards and I went in a new direction. I've come up with three different concepts for cover art and I thought it'd be best to get a vote on it! So check out the links, (I uploaded them to photobucket and I thought it'd be best to provide links to keep this already large post from getting even larger), and cast your vote!

Rock Raiders Cover #1

Rock Raiders Cover #2

Rock Raiders Cover #3

So, thanks to everyone who showed some interest and to everyone who might show up afterward, I appreciate it!

-Obsidian

• lol username featured this topic

Cover 2 is the coolest, in my opinion. It gives a feeling of entering a dangerous new world! The first cover gives off a vibe of loneliness, which wouldn't fit as much since the Rock Raiders are always a team. All three covers are very well designed, of course!

• Like 2

and romance throughout

just waiting for Manly Doc memes l405G.jpg

I'm going to introduce new characters

as Brigs said, the dearest character to us all is Generic Rock Raider #0937. We love him dearly.

(I uploaded them to photobucket and I thought it'd be best to provide links to keep this already large post from getting even larger)

Spoilers are a thing used precisely for that purpose, just so you know.

-----------------------------------

As I said, I'll read practically anything LRR-related l405G.jpg I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with a skeletal theme Lego sold for one year and then discarded. (Oh, and when you do get all the books / play all the games, don't expect there to be a consistent canon.)

Rock Raider Obsidian
Just now, Mahoroa said:

Are you going to write the story from a realistic standpoint, or will everything still be made of Legos?

It will be realistic.

This adaptation now has an official Twitter. Come check it out!

Rock Raider Obsidian

I'm going to try and start doing weekly updates every Monday, although depending on my level of productivity, I might make it bi-monthly. Either way, here's the first one.

Update #1: 02.13.2017

A few basic facts I wanted to reiterate about the project.

-This is going to be a realistic adaptation of Lego Rock Raiders, featuring real human beings in an original, futuristic sci-fi universe.

-This is going to have adult situations. I'm not going to go out of my way to shock anyone, but I might not always necessarily pull my punches. If a scene demands something kind of messed up, or violent, or whatever, I'll put it in there.

-This is going to be a pretty long project.

-I'm going to be using the primary game as a base, and the PS1 game and the comics for additional inspiration, but this isn't a straight novelization. A lot's going to change.

-This project will be posted to WattPad and Fanfiction.net. I'll be posting each chapter as I write it.

Now, things I've made progress on since last update.

-I've fleshed out the main characters. I've also added three new characters: a male medic, a female security officer and a female repair technician. Also, one of the primary characters is having their gender switched.

-I've gathered a rough idea of the layout of the LMS Explorer, in terms of what decks contain what.

-I've planned out most of the structures. I've changed some and added a few. I imagine I'll add to this list.

-I've added in some technology to help explain a few of the more fantastic aspects of the game.

-I've only gotten a little bit of work done on the actual plot so far. I want to experience all the media before I seriously begin doing this.

The PS1 game is on its way and should be here really soon. I'm excited to play it, as I had no idea it as even a thing until last week.

I'm also trying to come up with different environments for the story to take place in. It's surprisingly hard to come up with diverse underground environments. Either that or I'm just bad at it. This is the list so far.

-Rock

-Lava

-Ice

-Crystal

-Flooded

-Ancient City

-Plant Filled

-Surface of the Planet

If anyone has any other ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Finally, I've settled on an official cover for the story. It's the one that was voted for the most and also, I believe, the one that most accurately represents the story. If anyone has any questions or basically anything they want to say, please do so! I really like interacting with people and discussing writing projects.

Rock%20Raider%20Concept%202_zpsg17xbknd.

-Obsidian

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Rock Raider Obsidian said:

The PS1 game is on its way and should be here really soon. I'm excited to play it, as I had no idea it as even a thing until last week.

You might also be interested to know there's more or less two PS1 games (very heavy differences between the North American and European releases) - see these videos (from @Ringtail) and the video descriptions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=At-UTUlJEhU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j2gXEulETA

Rock Raider Obsidian

Update #2: 02.21.2017

So, a few things have happened since I've last updated.

The first is that I've decided to write a mini-series that takes place alongside Rock Raiders. It will feature an original character, a miner. It takes place a few days after the event that leaves the Raiders stranded. When a transporter malfunction puts him far from the nearest outpost, he must do whatever it takes to survive the dangers of the underground environment and get back. It's called The Long Walk and I'm keeping it kind of isolated from the main story because although I'm going to do what I can to keep technology, events, general aesthetic consistent, it's still early enough in production that things might change. Ideally this will basically be a companion piece to the main novel. I'm doing this to try and build some interest, to let people know my writing style/capability, and because I think it'll be cool, to write and (hopefully) to read. I'm not sure when I'm going to start releasing the story, but when I do, it will be over on my blog.

Also, I've got a blog on this site now. And also another reminder, a Twitter.

Dig%20Site%20Obsidian_zps9o2zecfu.jpg

Spoiler

The%20Long%20Walk_zpsmpyahzvw.jpg

Now, in regards to the main project, not too much more has happened, as I've been pretty busy with other things. I've fleshed everything out a little bit more, I've got a name for the planet, and it will be revealed in The Long Walk. I've also gotten very busy kind of suddenly as a few things have cropped up and I've also kind of needed to sort of take inventory of my writing career and various projects, so I'm going to tentatively put a release date for Rock Raiders for June 2017, but that might change. I'll also provide updates both here and on my blog on the 1st and 15th of each month, starting in March.

Finally, I received Lego Rock Raiders for PS1 in the mail and...turns out it was the PC copy. Still trying to get that sorted out.

-Obsidian

You couldn't call "The Long Walk" "Run the Gauntlet" instead? D: That level features one Rock Raider, a Hover Scout, and the objective to get to a Tool Store on the other side of the map. For reasons unknown it also requires 40 (?) Energy Crystals which is not so much impractical as completely unobtainable.

I've also gotten very busy kind of suddenly as a few things have cropped up

Always happens; it'll be done when it's done l405G.jpg Rushing for a deadline is not always a good idea - it has its benefits, and it has its downsides.

I look forward to whatever you write :D

Rock Raider Obsidian

@aidenpons I might, though Run the Gauntlet sounds a little too...action-y, I guess? The Long Walk feels a bit more ominous, a bit darker and slower.

And thanks for the kind words! Hopefully it'll be worth reading.

Rock Raider Obsidian

Update #3: 03.01.2017

I've been very busy since the last update and it doesn't look like it's going to let up anytime soon, so I haven't really gotten much done in regards to the primary project. However, the first part in The Long Walk is out! You can read it right HERE. I'm going to try and get more parts out soon.

-Obsidian

• 1 month later...
Rock Raider Obsidian

Update #4: 04.02.2017

I don't have a whole lot to say, unfortunately. I've been extremely busy just lately and it doesn't seem like it's going to let up any time soon. I did manage to get The Long Walk finished, though! So that was pretty awesome to write. I can only hope it was awesome to read. Currently, I'm trying to get two fan fictions wrapped up, (they're still quite a ways off from being finished), planning a series of original post-apocalyptic survival-horror novels that I will try to get professionally published, and dealing with all the other things that go with being a human nowadays.

I'll try to get some more planning done this month so I can have something more worthwhile to say in May.

I'm also posting these updates on my blog. I don't know if there are people who check over there and not here, or over here and not that. I thought it'd be good to cover all my bases.

Also, if you missed out on The Long Walk, you can read the whole thing right HERE.

-Obsidian

• 4 weeks later...
Rock Raider Obsidian

Update #5: 05.01.2017

Well, once again I don't have too much to say. Sorry about that. April was really busy. I spent most of trying to make significant progress on my two current fan fictions, and I think I did, but I also finally started on my next original project, and this is really the main thing I have to talk about, in regards to the adaptation.

Since writing original fiction is how I make my money and what keeps me from working a job that makes me want to eat a bullet, it's naturally pretty high up on the priority list. I've been taking a bit more time to plan this novel out, since, over the past 3 years, I had to essentially rush to write 15 novels for...reasons. But it's finally finished with pre-production and has entered writing mode.

So this is obviously going to slow down my work on Gathering Darkness and The DOOM Chronicles, which I want to wrap up before I start putting significant effort towards Rock Raiders, which would, also, be throttled back to make way for my next original book.

I've managed to get some more of Rock Raiders planned out, but not a great deal. I'm hoping now that I might be able to start writing it in July. Sorry I don't have better news.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.