Favorite LRR Playstyle

Shay

This thread is for sharing what kind of playstyle you have for Lego Rock Raiders. I'm a casual player, so I usually step outside the necessary/minimum requirements for a mission, and I tend to go all-out with laser drills and specialty buildings. :P

How do you play, and what are some of your strategies for the game?

As a kid I just had fun with it. Didn't try to beat missions as efficiently as possible, spent a lot of time exploring, often directly controlling raiders and vehicles. That's still how I play it when I occasionally boot it up, actually...

• Like 3

When base building, I used to build the exact same base design every time (unless the cave was too small to accommodate it);

Place a Power Path at the front of the Tool Store, attach a Teleport Pad on one side, a Power Station on the other, place TWO additional Power Paths beside them and place a Support Station on the left and an Upgrade Station on the right.

Basically, something like this:

large.BasicBase.jpg.2d4bffa0f21b33747c70

Then I'd teleport down some Transport Trucks and Small Diggers, upgrade them fully, and make the level absurdly easy.

The only reason I got into this build pattern was because I used to play Lava Laughter a lot...

...Seriously, A LOT.

• Like 3

That's a very efficient base design! I don't often build small bases, since I prefer to give my Raiders more room to move around. Your design is pretty cool, though; I'll try to implement it the next time I play! :D

Also, how did you get the tiles to show up colored like that?

59 minutes ago, Mahoroa said:

Also, how did you get the tiles to show up colored like that?

I modified the tile colours in the picture using photo editing software (specifically GIMP), in order to make it easier to tell which building occupies what squares.

Ah, neat! I wonder why the buildings seem to be missing...

I figured out a way that the Laser Cutters might be useful, apart from shooting monsters. If you're drilling through some hard rock with a weaker drill, like a Granite Grinder, you can hang back with your Laser Cutter and blast away at the wall repeatedly to speed up the process. At least, that's what I do. This tactic also lets you quickly react when monsters appear.

Rock Raider Obsidian

I find myself focusing on exploration and 'cleaning up' more than anything else. I'm kind of a fussy player when it comes to games like this, and I try to make sure whatever section of cave I'm in totally explored, as in all walls are mined, all ore/crystal collected up, all rubble shoveled away, before moving on to rinse and repeat.

It depends on the level. Most levels I'll just try to get done and over as quickly as possible. Those are the levels I play once, just to get them over with, then don't go back to.

There are a few levels that I play frequently, however, specifically Frozen Frenzy and that one water level with the lost raider. These levels have objectives that are easy to ignore, spacious flat terrain, and abundant resources, so I use these levels to build big awesome bases and play around with the different vehicles.

As I've modded the game fairly extensively & play nothing but modded (much more fun), I tend to amass a huge mining fleet (a medium-size fleet would have 10-15 STTs, 3 Small Diggers, ~5 Loader Dozers (with twin lazer upgrades, it's actually really easy to mod in), and at least one Heavy Drilling Vehicle (Granite Grinder / Chrome Crusher, although a 20-crystal CC puts a damper on your mining expansion)).

On smaller levels I'll frequently just spam SDs (at one crystal each and when upgraded for 100 ore they can drill pretty darn fast, and they can gang up on Hard Rock) and STTs.

On ultra-large levels, if the game doesn't crash, I'll relocate LRR HQ several times, strip-mining as I go along. However, LRR's inherent instability means it usually crashes as I'm picking up all the ore. And I need that ore, because upgrading my Chrome Crusher's drill costs 1500 but means it can shred any piece of rock in under a second.

Granite Grinders are probably the best to go in first-person mode with because of a) the height, b) the drill speed (modded, remember?), and c) no fussy drill nulls unlike the Chrome Crusher, whereby you have to poke around for a great deal of time.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.