Rock Raiders Novelization?

Rock Raider Obsidian

Rock Raider Obsidian

Hello, everyone!

This is my first post. I just found this site not too long ago, after trying to figure out how to make Rock Raiders work on my computer. I had no idea there was still such an active community this many years after the release of the game. Pretty much no one I've met has played it.

I played it a LOT growing up and love it so much.

So the point of this post, beyond saying hey to the community, is to try and get a feel for the question of: would anyone be interested in reading a novelization of Rock Raiders? I'm a self-published author who makes my living writing books and I still have a great love of fan fiction, since it's where I got my start. If I undertook a novelization of the game, would anyone be interested?

Thanks for reading!

-Obsidian

• Like 3

Welcome to RRU!

Yeah, a Rock Raiders novelization would definitely be interesting. As far as characterization goes, you would probably have a lot of leeway to develop the crew as you wish (please have one of the focal characters be Generic Rock Raider #0937). Perhaps you could give us a taste of your writing style before committing to a major project like that, such as through sharing a draft of the first chapter or a short story. 

Looking forward to reading more from you!

• Like 2

The Ace Railgun

I'd take a look at that short book that came out as well, "Race For Survival" I think it was called, If you can acquire it.

• Like 1

It'd be awesome to read a novelization of the game! I'd feel like a kid again.

11 hours ago, Rock Raider Obsidian said:

I had no idea there was still such an active community this many years after the release of the game. Pretty much no one I've met has played it.

I played it a LOT growing up and love it so much.

Same here! It's great to see that there are other people out there who love this game. The very existence of this forum got me back into Rock Raiders.

Rock Raider Obsidian

@Brigs: Here's a link to my WattPad account. I've got three finished projects there. One is a novelization of the zombie sandbox survival game State of Decay, another is a novelization of the 2002 video game sequel to John Carpenter's The Thing, and the third is a sequel to that one. I'm currently working on an epic-length adaptation/novelization of the DOOM universe and also a stark survival-horror HaloxSlenderman crossover called Gathering Darkness. I'd say The DOOM Chronicles and Gathering Darkness probably most accurately represent my current writing abilities/style.

One thing I'd really have to point out is that I tend to write horror/action stories. While I would do what I could to stay true to the material, I feel that some of the game would be lost in translation due to the simplicity of the original game's storytelling, the kind of over-the-top cartoony nature of the game and my own tendencies to tell darker stories. So that's something to think about.

@The Ace Railgun & @Terrev: Thanks! I'll look through those to see if I can get any additional ideas.

Also, after writing the post, I felt inspired to create a cover for the theoretical project. This is what I came up with.
Rock%20Raiders%20Rough_zpso0uuilvv.jpg?t

Rock Raider Obsidian
1 minute ago, Mahoroa said:

Wow, that's a really cool cover! Is that Planet U?

Thanks! In the context of the story, yes it would be. As for the image itself, it's a picture I found from Pixabay.

Rock Raider Obsidian
1 minute ago, Cyrem said:

I'm keenly interested in this, sounds interesting,

Would you need a similar font to the RR font?

Thanks! And do you mean a font for like the cover art?

Welcome to RRU!

If I undertook a novelization of the game, would anyone be interested?

I'm still a LRR fanboy at heart, so I'll read anything LRR-related l405G.jpg "Horror" would be an interesting take on Rock Raider's cheerful "whack-the-monsters-and-the-game-will-probably-crash" theme; interesting and not necessarily a bad idea.

Rock Raider Obsidian
33 minutes ago, Cyrem said:

Yep or anything else

By the way, this may help, it has more detail info about LRR stuff: http://www.rockraidersunited.com/oldwiki/

Thanks! And yeah, having the Rock Raiders font would be really helpful.

18 minutes ago, aidenpons said:

Welcome to RRU!

I'm still a LRR fanboy at heart, so I'll read anything LRR-related l405G.jpg "Horror" would be an interesting take on Rock Raider's cheerful "whack-the-monsters-and-the-game-will-probably-crash" theme; interesting and not necessarily a bad idea.

Thanks for the welcome!

That's good to hear. And yeah, my version would definitely be far more serious and kind of grim. I guess I really should have sad Adaptation instead of Novelization.

Rock Raider Obsidian

Updated version of the cover. Honestly, I'd like to be able to produce a cleaner looking cover, but I honestly can't find hi-rez versions of either the crystal or of the rock raiders logo.Rock%20Raiders_zpseodvs4pg.jpg

Looks even better!

By the way, I'd like to try my hand at writing. So if there's anything you might want help with, let me know! I'd be honored to have a part in such a project as this.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Rock Raider Obsidian said:

...I honestly can't find hi-rez versions of either the crystal...

Ask, and you shall receive:

HTAPacf.png

• Like 1

Rock Raider Obsidian
1 minute ago, Ben24x7 said:

Ask, and you shall receive:

HTAPacf.png

Thanks!  I'll see what I can do with this, although I might not need it anymore. I'm experimenting with an alternate style of cover.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.