"Loose Rock" | Rock Raiders Remake (Also, Hello!)

BergerBytes

Hello!

Haven't posted here before and only recently found the site, so I hope this is in the right section! 

I recently decided to give recreating rock raiders a go as it was one of my favorite PC games as a child. I've wanted to practice more with procedural meshes/content and AI, so rock raiders seemed to fit the bill! I haven't completed much as I only started working on it this year but I decided to share it anyway. The goal here is probably to build the game as a learning exercise and then build a more loosely based spiritual successor as a full game for release. But it's all up in the air, right now I am just having fun recreating the game. :B You can try it out with the link below, no need to install anything as it is deployed with WebGL, just keep in mind it's very much a work in progress. 

Let me know what you think and nice to meet you!

Cheers,

-Berger

Play the prototype in the web browser!

Well that's a heck of a first post. You have a playable LRR remake prototype that looking pretty loose solid. Please continue production, and let us know what we can do to help.

• Like 3

First off, hello! I hope you enjoy your time here on the forums, also, definitely a great prototype, I hope you find the drive to continue production on it, thanks for sharing it!

14 hours ago, Cirevam said:

Well that's a heck of a first post. You have a playable LRR remake prototype that looking pretty loose solid. Please continue production, and let us know what we can do to help.

@Cirevam Haha, Thanks! And absolutely! I plan on continuing, I do work full time as a developer so this is very much a side project but I do want to put solid time into it.  

14 hours ago, CrashDSB said:

First off, hello! I hope you enjoy your time here on the forums, also, definitely a great prototype, I hope you find the drive to continue production on it, thanks for sharing it!

@Crash  Thanks! I've been having a lot of fun working on it so I definitely will be continuing.

12 hours ago, Terrev said:

Neato. Runs on Unity, eh? Looking forward to seeing where it goes.

@Terrev Yup! I was originally going to build it in Swift but that would have limited it to OS X and iOS so I choose to go with something that would allow for more platforms. 

Have to say, for a prototype, you've polished it quite nicely and for only starting this year.

I'm eager to see how this develops. As Cirevam said, lets us know if there's anything we can do to help.

Good choice choosing Unity over Swift btw.

Fluffy Cupcake

Hello, welcome to RRU! Hope you enjoy your stay.

It may be a bit redundant by now, but that's a nice prototype you've got there.

@Cyrem Thanks! The code is definitely a bit messy and needs to be cleaned up.

I was experimenting a bit, some things worked some didn't. In the spirit of cleaning though I added sweeping rubble to the prototype! :af: ( you need to uncover the tool store before sweeping will work for access to those shovels, If you select a wall and hit space it will instantly knock down the wall, saves some time lol ) 

@Xiron o/ Thanks!!

(You may need to clear the browser cache if it doesn't load the new version, Forgot to prevent browser cache with the first version.) >.<

Updated Game (Same link)

Great progress already! Clearing rubble works perfectly, good job.

I think I noticed a bug though, I can't seem to move the RR's when the game level begins, before any drilling takes place.

Looking forward to the next update :)

There are several unrelated things that I'd like to say type so here have a list:

1) Welcome to RRU and as Cirevam said that is one heck of a first post.

2) Your work is amazing. Wowie! :D It already runs better than LRR in that Idleness Syndrome is not actually a thing l405G.jpg

3) Check these two other existing possibly-being-worked-on stuff out: this and this (also check the next two blogposts in that list) There's a high chance that you could work together as I think both of those are still being worked on.

4) Nice placeholder model for the Tool Store l405G.jpg

5) "The code is definitely a bit messy and needs to be cleaned up" I have never ever seen any coding that wasn't messy & could be cleaned up, not even in Scratch.

• Like 2

@BergerBytesNice work! This looks excellent so far. Also, I couldn't agree more; Unity definitely feels like the right tool for the job here :) 

@aidenponsCollaborating sounds like a great idea. Parts of my project's codebase are still a trainwreck due to ancient code written in a language with loose typing at a time when I had very little scalability in mind, so the last thing I want to do is subject anybody else to that. However, as a fairly experienced Unity developer I would be happy to lend a hand here should this project go open source.

• Like 2

If I can add two cents as a thoroughly useless coding twat who works with batch files for petty projects and nothing else:

should this project go open source.

Pleeeeeeeease make this open source - that way if someone or everyone drops out, somebody else can continue.

Hey everyone! Been busy with work so haven't been able to put a ton of time into it. Unfortunately, sometimes you need to set priorities... So I added priorities to the game! :3 I also have changed a ton in how the game works and how classes pass information. So there has been a lot changed but 90% of it you can't see. The job system had been improved with support for priorities, Tools and auto tasking. Updated Game 

@risingstar64 Thanks! I have actually seen your HTML5 remake before, awesome stuff!

@aidenpons Open sourcing is definitely on the table! Too early to do so at the moment, but at the very least I can promise if I ever stop working on the game I will release all the source code.

Also I guess I should mention that I tried to live stream some development of the game. It definitely causes me to make more mistakes but it was still fun, there will most likely be more! You can find them here -> bergerbytes.tv 

Okay, shameless self promotion over. 

Since the name of the project is "Loose Rock | Rock Raiders Remake," can I call this LRRRR, or LR4 ? l405G.jpg

auto tasking

:0

Wow... RR's actually DO stuff when I don't tell them to! And they don't just sit around doing nothing? Great stuff! :D

However, is the coding durable enough to have a "distance" factor involved too, and the closest LRR does the job - a particular problem when you get to ultra-large levels, which is why in LRR I strip-mine bits and wait for my fleet of STTs to pick up all the ore before moving on. I need that ore too, as my Chrome Crusher's Engine requires 1000 to upgrade and its drill requires 1500. l405G.jpg It's worth it though.

Amazing.... :D

8 minutes ago, aidenpons said:

LRRRR, or LR4 ? l405G.jpg

Ha! I like   LR4 !

@aidenpons The DispatchController sends a worker the closest job (of the highest priority) to them currently. Right now it does not consider the "cost" of the distance. For example if there are two jobs, one is 8 tiles of clear floor away and the other is 7 tiles of rubble away it would make sense to go to the job 8 tiles away. Another thing needing to be added is prioritising user issued jobs over auto generated ones. 

4 hours ago, aidenpons said:

LR4

That sounds like a great name honestly, reminds me of AM2R, I mean we don't want to get sued by LEGO for using the word Lego or Rock Raiders if they still have trademark on it.

Update! First-pass on blocking out the UI. Also, you can build PowerPath! You can start and stop building PowerPath as well as dig up a completed piece of path. 

Game Link

• Like 2

• lol username featured this topic

Woah, I really love the LRR UI. Too bad 90% of it doesn't do anything yet l405G.jpg

I found a rather odd bug - one LRR couldn't decide whether to carry  his ore to one powerpath or another. He went half a tile towards one, turned around, went half a tile towards another, turned around to where he was pointing, went half a tile (obviously to the same powerpath), turned around, went half a tile to the other one... etc etc etc.

Time passes and all three of my raiders are stuck in the same loop doing in the same spot. Some of them don't even have ore. Here, have a screenshot. l405G.jpg

Poor little rock raiders, they look so confused... I think the arrow above their head is getting to them. 8S

In all seriousness, I have definitely seen them do this / similar things when dealing with the new building system. I re-worked the AI and broke apart all the systems into self-contained components, The part the handles receiving/executing jobs was just moved over and is on the list to get a proper rewrite. Thanks for the report!

38 minutes ago, Shadow322 said:

Can someone explain why I can't play this? Please don't tell me it's cause I'm using Windows XP?

It's because you're using Windows XP. I say this with 99.7% confidence.

I am sharing these builds using WebGL, a fairly new Javascript API. I would be surprised if it worked on Windows XP. I can deploy a native windows version with the next update, however, I don't have access to a windows XP machine to confirm if it would work. 

WebGL test: https://get.webgl.org

Except that test is super non-conclusive and tells us nothing. Just because a cube works doesn't mean a game will. If can tell what browser and version you use, I might be able to say more. However, again, I am 99.8% sure it is because you are using Windows XP.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.