Cannot select missions, Windows 8.1 64 Bit in Compatibiliy Mode

irateGeologist

irateGeologist

I just joined the forum and read through just about every Windows 8 topic I can find to see if this problem had already been posted about, and I can only get so far:

Running Windows 8.1 64-Bit, launching the game in Compatibility mode Windows XP (Service Pack 2) and in 16-bit color mode, selecting the Direct3D HAL option with the respective Windowed Mode accompanying it. This gets me as far as the initial Main Menu, but attempting to select Start Game brings me to the mission select screen where I cannot click on any missions, nor does hovering over a given mission provide any sort of response. There appears to be some sort of graphical effect that doesn't resolve; the rockslide transition occurs, but the effect doesn't seem to complete, and I can't click on anything.

Trying any of the other modes, windowed or fullscreen, renders the game unplayable for one reason or another; Trying the RGB modes get me slightly further, allowing me to hover over missions with the narrator speaking aloud the title of the mission, but clicking a mission crashes the game. Fullscreen Direct 3D HAL is a laggy and unplayable mess, as described in every other topic related to Windows 8.

My current suspicion is that DirectX 6.1 isn't installed correctly, as I don't see it show up under dxdiag.

If anyone as has any advice or experience, I would greatly appreciate it. I can provide images of my steps if someone believes it would help.

UPDATE:

It seems that I can resolve this problem and play the game by selecting Service Pack 3 of the Windows XP Compatibility mode with the same settings, albeit to a degree. The visual effect is more refined, but still persists for quite a while before eventually fading and allowing me to play the game naturally. There has been one instance where the game will lockup, but it seems to be largely irrelevant. It happened when I selected "Training Missions" from the main menu after returning to the main menu from the mission select screen.

Revised Update:

It seems to be happening more often. Not sure what the issue is.

Trying the RGB modes get me slightly further, allowing me to hover over missions with the narrator speaking aloud the title of the mission, but clicking a mission crashes the game

RGB modes have very very nearly never helped anyone.

Fullscreen Direct 3D HAL is a laggy and unplayable mess, as described in every other topic related to Windows 8.

Can you select missions laggily and slowly - but select and start them nevertheless - in fullscreen?

My suspicion would actually be broken level files as opposed to anything else. Using any mods yet?

Can you also go to your LRR directory and tell us

- the size of LegoRR.icd

- the size of LegoRR0.wad

- the size of LegoRR1.wad , as those last two could well indicate missing files, although that really is rather unlikely.

Try reinstalling LRR if you possibly can - at least it'll be one less thing to troubleshoot then l405G.jpg

Are there any useful command line arguments that might help with what seems to be broken transparency? (asking this to RRU in general)

• 1 year later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.