Canceled Mega Bloks Halo Game

lol username

Quisoves Potoo

Non c'est pas mal!

Actual quality in a modern LEGO game.

From Megablocks.

Who'da thunk?

I honestly wish this had been released. I have no idea if it would have justified its existence, what with being based off of a series of video games, but it would have given TT a run for their criminally easy money, and I think we can all agree that would have been a good thing.

• Like 2

lol username

The topic of not-quite-LEGO games reminds me... There's a 1999 Playmobil PC game (sort of an RPG-adventure thing) that's really good IMO. Also helps that Playmobil is just a competitor to LEGO (and even then only somewhat; they're just a toy with some crossover in who they appeal to), not a clone brand or even a building toy - so even hardcore lego fans can play it guilt free. ;P 

I've played through the majority of the game and I enjoyed it, been meaning to go back and finish. The writing and voice acting and world is all really well done (especially for 1999) and there's a lot of charm to it. It's also surprisingly dark in tone at points; it doesn't shy away from mentions of death and stuff, feels akin to the 80s LEGO Pirates audio dramas in that regard.

The coolest part about the game though are the time travel mechanics and how damn well they work with the story and world. You play a knight who's sent back in time 200 years by a villain, and your goal is to return to your own time and defeat the villain who sent you back. And while the game is technically linear, the trip you take through time and the world is by all means not - you can use sundials to switch between eras at pretty much any time (once you've played enough to visit more than one). Kings rise and fall, you see first hand the effects they're having/had on the kingdom, characters age, die, their children grow up, the world evolves interestingly and sometimes dramatically, and it all makes it surprisingly rich for a "kids game". There's a lot of other little things I really liked about it but I won't go on. If there's one thing that stands out as a flaw it's that the control scheme feels dated, but I wouldn't say it's outright bad or hard to control, just takes getting used to. Itsa good game. Play it.

... Oh! And a PS2 version was released 3 years later, in 2002. From what I've heard there's some differences between the versions though I'm not sure how much.

One last thing: The game's manual is available here, and it's actually got some cool story-related stuff in it.

There's also this.

vThdxqy.jpg

MOAGOAI.jpg

I'm not sure I can recommend that one.

• lol username featured, unfeatured and featured this topic
5 hours ago, Terrev said:

Itsa good game. Play it.

So you're saying we should... get... Hype? 

I remember being concerned about compatibility issues before with Hype but I have access to an XP machine now so that shouldn't be a problem. It does seem like the game is pretty expensive on the aftermarket though, for whatever reason.

The manual is interesting though. I definitely get a kind of Pirates audio drama vibe.

I tried booting up Hype again and I got a few game freezes at a few specific points just past where my save is at in the story, which is odd as I didn't have such problems anywhere else in the game (even in earlier versions of this area) and the save file has like 10.5 hours of gameplay (which doesn't even count all the gameplay between save points and deaths). I'd kinda lost track of where I was in the story too, maybe I'll get the PS2 version sometime and start fresh... I could probably keep trying on PC until I get past this segment without any freezing, but meh. The joys of old PC games, eh?

Edit - got through it! Of course the one time I took extra precautions to save throughout the area I didn't encounter any freezes, lol.

Edit again - Beat the game! It... uh.

It was fun though.

• Like 2

hero's being consumed by a huge fireball

sounds enough like "spontaneously combusting" to me

while diving off a ledge

... and falling through the floor...?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.