LEGO Racers M4A Soundtrack

ZANTHERA

Fluffy Cupcake

The credits say "Album Art provided by [Ringtail]." So yeah.

Took a second listen and that "couldn't really tell" of mine became a "I hear it a bit if I'm actually paying close attention".

On 1/7/2017 at 0:37 PM, ZANTHERA said:

I looked up how to open PS1 discs on a PC and came to a section taking about a program that can open .XAI files which is the file extension the audio files are stored as on the disc...

http://www.zophar.net/utilities/psxutil/psxmc.html

This was the program I used, it says it is a trial version but I ran into no issues when trying to open all the files. If anyone wants to open their own disc for the files...

I tried using this program but it just said "Plugin which can process a file [file].XAI was undetectable"

and Xiron, I guess it depends on your sound system

52 minutes ago, Ringtail said:

I tried using this program but it just said "Plugin which can process a file [file].XAI was undetectable"

and Xiron, I guess it depends on your sound system

That's odd, I just installed it and opened and analyzed my disc, ticked only .XAI and it scanned and got all the files for me, not sure why it doesn't work for you.

For me the tool only has an option for .XA files and won't look for .XAI files even though it's the same thing. But it says the same about .STR files which it does recognize so something's up. I tried both versions there and it was the same.

edit: by the way I was right about Random 7, sorta; the loop cut is a few seconds later than it is on the PC game. seems to be the only difference I've encountered so far.

So thanks to this great tool by grappigegovert I have access to the PC Music so I will be changing the names of all the ones I named 'Random' because I know know what they are called, there are also a few variations from the PS1 songs I have so I will add those too.

Also I will include a slowed down version of 'Race Lose' to match the PC version but with PS1 quality, so I will rename the PS1 version to 'Race Lose PS1' and the slowed down 'Lose Circuit' which is the PC 'Race Lose' to 'Race Lose PC'

The only one not present that I have found from the PC version and not on the PS1 is called GameIntr and It is the N64 opening, it still has a bit of static on it though. 

There is another called HvsIntro, which stands for High Voltage Software but it is oddly just the ending of the 'Boss Car Unlock' song and not the N64 song like I first thought.

I've edited your download to have better loops so that each race and menu track loops twice and then fades, bringing the soundtrack length to 74 minutes, a decent single-CD length. I named all the random tracks  to something like "Pirates Alt. Track 2 'Hook'" or whatever. I did the stretching for the race lose music, it's the same bitrate as the PC track (-41.667% slower or something) but it still sounds better with how audacity stretches it vs the PC track. GameIntro and HVSIntro are there too, I swapped out IGP's music with those TUN files to get cleaner recordings than what that TUN converter could get. I'm still not sure how to arrange it but all the editing is pretty much done.

The only thing I'm missing are the tracks for the real HVS intro and non-N64 game intro. The game intro one is impossible to get unless a dev sends it to someone, but the normal HVS intro is in the N64 version and can be gotten if someone knows how to rip that audio track and then remove the instruments for the footsteps and sparks. I don't know how to do any of that tho lmao.

What variations are there that you found? The only one I noticed was the one I mentioned but it was just a different cut place.

[image removed, scroll down]

here's how I've sorta got the tracks arranged right now. Not entirely happy with it like I said but anything else seems kinda awkward (and why does Rocket Racer's one track have three alternates while the three Adventurers tracks only have two lmao)

7 minutes ago, Ringtail said:

I've edited your download to have better loops so that each race and menu track loops twice and then fades, bringing the soundtrack length to 74 minutes, a decent single-CD length. I named all the random tracks  to something like "Pirates Alt. Track 2 'Hook'" or whatever. I did the stretching for the race lose music, it's the same bitrate as the PC track (-41.667% slower or something) but it still sounds better with how audacity stretches it vs the PC track. GameIntro and HVSIntro are there too, I swapped out IGP's music with those TUN files to get cleaner recordings than what that TUN converter could get. I'm still not sure how to arrange it but all the editing is pretty much done.

The only thing I'm missing are the tracks for the real HVS intro and non-N64 game intro. The game intro one is impossible to get unless a dev sends it to someone, but the normal HVS intro is in the N64 version and can be gotten if someone knows how to rip that audio track and then remove the instruments for the footsteps and sparks. I don't know how to do any of that tho lmao.

What variations are there that you found? The only one I noticed was the one I mentioned but it was just a different cut place.

The tracks for the video intros can just be ripped from the videos themselves but there isn't much point in that. I have also names all the random tracks to their correct name based on the same files from the PC files. 

Also I did not stretch the 'Race Lose' I did a speed and pitch change which preserves the quality alot better than stretching it, I will update my download with the corrected name and extra tracks later, right now I am trying to see if I can edit the N64 intro to reduce the static noise during the quiet parts of the track. 

Apart from some of the extra race track songs being cut off at the beginning in the PC version of the songs, there is no difference apart from different uses for the tracks, the only one missing from the PS1 version is the N64 intro, If you would like I can get the audio tracks from the LEGO logo, HVS and 3D intro to add to the soundtrack.

Also as I said I did not loop the tracks over a few times because playing them on repeat from a music device does so on its own, so if you wanted to listen to a track theme for a while simply pressing repeat will play it without a break, I don't think looping it and fading it out is necessary.

6 minutes ago, ZANTHERA said:

The tracks for the video intros can just be ripped from the videos themselves but there isn't much point in that.

Yeah but they've got sound effects in the video tracks. The N64 is all MIDI stuff tho so if we can extract the HVS logo music from that we can turn off the tracks for the footsteps and sparks sounds.

I have also names all the random tracks to their correct name based on the same files from the PC files. 

Yeah you uh... already said that in the post I was replying to

Also I did not stretch the 'Race Lose' I did a speed and pitch change which preserves the quality alot better than stretching it

That's what I did too. That's stretching isn't it? As opposed to just tempo change?

right now I am trying to see if I can edit the N64 intro to reduce the static noise during the quiet parts of the track.

I already said that I got a clean recording of it in-game, along with HVSIntro. No offense but you kinda just repeated everything you said in the post I replied to without addressing anything I asked.

Sorry I saw the first draft of your reply, I now see the edited version.

Your names for the alternate tracks seem much better, I don't know why I didn't see a link between the themes and song names like you did so good spot on that.

Right sorry got a little confused there, so I have now got all of the PS1 tracks and the alternate PC track of 'Race Lose' from the PS1 'Lose Circuit'

All I need to complete it is a clean N64 intro so if you have that then that is great, but does it not have all of the sound effects in it? The one from the PC files doesn't.

So is there anything you have that I don't?

Also thank you for your subscription :P

The N64 intro I have is just the PC file yes. It doesn't have any sound effects in it (The version in the demo does).

rGBu5zN.png

Here's a complete list of the tracks I have, 51 in total. Not sure I like the order like I said but idk. The N64 Media logo was recorded from the N64 game with an emulator, the two after that are from the PC game and everything else is edits of your rip. Can't get HVS without knowing how to deal with N64 MIDI like I said and the Intro AVI track is a lost cause for now. As for everything else, not sure if I've got anything you don't. Were any of the PC tracks different enough that I should add them or nah?

Only other thing I'd do is make better album art. I've got a high-res logo but nothing else, anyone got any good renders or rips from the manual or something with transparency?

It's the one from the N64 and demo versions of this game, yes, which is different from the Media logo used in any other Lego game so I included it since it's unique to this game's soundtrack.

Also probably gonna remove the numbering from the alt tracks, they're just in alphabetical order so might as well let them stand on their own.

I have edited all of the static out of the N64 intro from the PC conversion, so I'll include that in the updated post, do you want me to use your tracks and add them to the list? Would you upload them for me to download and I'll add them.

Also the artwork I have on the tracks is a good resolution already so I'm not sure why that needs changing.

Here is a link to my edited N64 intro if you want to hear it.

https://mega.nz/#!Whxz3A4I!FYaq3v2epfB2WAhTTwB3A35G3hltL5lZ3AEB_wFFGmc

I have edited all of the static out of the N64 intro from the PC conversion

Or you know. Recording it in-game so it's good from the start.

do you want me to use your tracks and add them to the list? Would you upload them for me to download and I'll add them.

I only have those two tracks and one is in the PC game files too. It's all in FLAC anyway so you'd need to mess with that. I'm gonna upload my whole version of it anyway at some point so, I dunno lmao.

Also the artwork I have on the tracks is a good resolution already so I'm not sure why that needs changing.

Cuz it's just a scan of the box art and I wanted to make something a little nicer looking. Also attaching PNG files to every track kinda bloats them, attaching a slightly smaller JPG version and then putting the PNG in the folder as "cover.png" or something is much more space-efficient 

I thought when you wanted to add to it you meant by adding some things to my list I didn't have, so are you saying your going to take my rip then add your files and then upload it again?

1 hour ago, Ringtail said:

I've edited your download to have better loops so that each race and menu track loops twice and then fades, bringing the soundtrack length to 74 minutes, a decent single-CD length.

this is what i would upload. the tracks you want wouldn't be looped. i could send you those ones individually if you wanted.

Yeah I listened to it. It doesn't sound so good tbh, like I said you're better off swapping files and recording in-game until that guy fixes the program, if you want lossless conversion anyway. Also I just realized I made my recording of GameIntro fade at the end cuz it's just the same measure repeating over and over until it abruptly stops.

Here's what I got. I tossed a semi-rip of HVS.avi's audio in there too cuz I don't understand assembly crap lmao so this is the best sounding you'll get unless you like screaming electricity.

Hey speaking of which, can you check what the bitrate and Hz for the audio of HVSINTO.STR is? The file size is about the same for that but it's significantly different for the Lego logo video so idk.

Also do we actually know who composed this music? Three people are credited as "sound engineers" but no mention of music at all, and checking their credits in other games on mobygames, Eric Nofsinger and Chadd Portwine have other credits with music, while the third guy doesn't. But even then only three games listed credit Eric with music: one of them is a slider puzzle game about music videos and one of them is Tempext X3, and I know for a fact he didn't compose the music for that even though he's credited as such so ???? Also apparently he's the founder of HVS so, okay then. Meanwhile Portwine only has one music credit on Spiderman 3 DS, but he has so so many "sound engineer" credits compared to the other two, and I have found evidence of him playing music while Nofsinger I can only find a mention of DJing, so I'm guessing Portwine might be the sole composer, but for all I know Eric composed too since the company was still young back then and only like twenty people worked on this game, so I honestly have no clue what to put together from all this lmao.

(wait when did this site make HVS get a little subscript that tells you what it means when you scroll over it? ATD DDI LRR LR2 LI2 IG SD SDreams IXS LMI)

edit: Portwine confirmed for composer. Will post more later.

Not that I can find. Until I thought it might be inside the JAM file; sure enough I found it. Can't convert it though cuz I get that static in my right ear for it too with your tool and unlike the TUN files I can't easily swap it out, tho it might be a mono track so it wouldn't matter and I could just delete the buzzing side but idk yet. edit before posting: nope I checked the ogg version and it's stereo, s***.

edit: nevermind they're the same format actually lmao oops. still not sure the quality difference between in-game recording and file conversion.

edit 2:

URL5BEg.png

what the absolute f**** is this waveform

but either way thanks for letting me know about that. Now we've got a complete soundtrack rip, aside from the real intro music but well, whatever lmao.

• 2 weeks later...

OP has been updated with the new track list and the added 'Race Lose PC' track. The Pirate, Castle and Space alternative tracks now have names.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.