Unable to Start Rock Raiders on Windows 7

Doomblade94

So It's been a few years since I've visited this site; RR has worked out fairly well for me before, but now I can't even get the game to boot.

Here's what's going on. After a couple years of a hiatus I want to play the game again. I already had it installed on my computer, a Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. I honestly can't remember what I did to get the game to work the last time I ran it, or if it was the old computer I used (the former was what I used when I visited this site the last time and it broke down a few months later). I've looked on the forums here and noticed someone had a very similar problem, however the thread yielded no working answers. Basically, whenever I click on the RR executables, the LegoRR process pops up in Task Manager for a few seconds before disappearing. I have tried:

1. Uninstalling and reinstalling the game
  2. Followed the AMD fix re-explained by SparksterX in the other thread.
  3. Tried to uninstall the game, then manually reinstall it by using Cyrem's guide.
  4. Messed with compatibility for:
    1. Windows XP Service Packs 1&2
    2. Windows 2000
    3. Windows NT
    4. Windows 98
    5. Windows 95
  5. Also tried messing with the 256 colors, disabling desktop composition, etc. boxes.
  6. Tried switching to 16-bit monitor color mode.

Nothing seems to work; everything results with the game process closing itself after a few seconds. Just in case it helps to solve the problem, the LegoRR ICD file on the hard-drive is 720kb. Also, I am using an NVIDIA GeForce GT 635 graphics card with an Intel i5 4440 quad CPU at 3.1 GHz. If anyone has any idea how to fix this that would be very much appreciated; the other answers I have been seeing haven't helped me out thus far.

Just in case it helps to solve the problem, the LegoRR ICD file on the hard-drive is 720kb

That helps a lot - we thus know LRR needs the CD to run. (You do have the CD in the drive, ya? l405G.jpg)

Also try stuffing this .dll into your game directory and attempting to run LRR.

I've got something new for you to try.

1. Download WineD3D 4Win 2

2. Dump ddraw.dll, libwine.dll, wined3d.dll into LRR's directory from the downloaded zip.

3. Set to 16 bit colour mode.

4. Start LRR, but select "windowed" on the Mode Selection window, making sure the wine3d display driver is also selected.

And hopefully...

*Party*

14 minutes ago, Cyrem said:

I've got something new for you to try.

1. Download Wine4Win 2

Out of idle interest, what is that and what does it do? A quick Google search has been fruitless...

I know Wine is a Windows emulator for Mac... so why the Windows? :S

7 minutes ago, aidenpons said:

Out of idle interest, what is that and what does it do? A quick Google search has been fruitless...

I know Wine is a Windows emulator for Mac... so why the Windows? :S

Actually, Wine is not an emulator (It's name is actually an acronym for that) and it's cross platform. But WineD3D is... well best explained by the site "WineD3D For Windows is a DirectX 1-11 to OpenGL wrapper based on WineD3D, which is an almost full implementation of DirectX used in Wine. "

LRR uses DX6.

Unfortunately, I have tried both the WineD3D download link @Cyrem provided me with as well as the updated d3drm.dll suggested by @aidenpons; neither of those work. I even tried dumping all the DLL's from the WineD3D zip and still nothing happened. Again, I don't even get a mode selection screen for pre-startup. The only thing that happens is that the game process pops up in Task Manager for two or three seconds before disappearing.

5 hours ago, Doomblade94 said:

Unfortunately, I have tried both the WineD3D download link @Cyrem provided me with as well as the updated d3drm.dll suggested by @aidenpons; neither of those work. I even tried dumping all the DLL's from the WineD3D zip and still nothing happened. Again, I don't even get a mode selection screen for pre-startup. The only thing that happens is that the game process pops up in Task Manager for two or three seconds before disappearing.

Just for clarification, you do have the LRR disc? Your ICD file being 720kb means its copy protected. The copy protection it uses hardly works these days. The problem sounds like it's either:

A) Crashing because of the copy protection failing.
B) Crashing attempting to find display modes.

Have you tried either of these (Yes they are for Windows 10, however should work with 7.) :

http://www.rockraidersunited.com/topic/7570-lego-rock-raiders-windows-10-setup-guide/

http://www.rockraidersunited.com/topic/6753-tutorial-running-lego-rock-raiders-on-windows-10-with-virtualbox/

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.