Darkflame Universe - Alpha Testing

Neal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yRmKGVifF0

So uh, hey guys. Decided I'd throw this here in case anyone doesn't keep up with Darkflame Universe's Twitter account.

We've finally gotten to the point where we wanted to show a little. Yeah, the trailer was iffy at best but the features are there.
Missions?
Yup.
Building rockets?
Oh cool, yeah.
AI?
That's a fun one, yeah.

It's a closed Alpha test and we'll be throwing keys around in the coming weeks.

Fluffy Cupcake

Oh, well that just looks incredible. Thanks for sharing here! Not sure I'll catch a key though since I don't have a Twitter to keep up with.

Just now, Xiron said:

Oh, well that just looks incredible. Thanks for sharing here! Not sure I'll catch a key though since I don't have a Twitter to keep up with.

Thanks! Even if you don't get in the Alpha, there'll be more opportunities in the future for sure.

1 minute ago, tomfyhr said:

It surely does look authentic.

Is there anything you cannot do in-game at the time of this writing?

Quite a bit, which is why we're in Alpha! We've got a ways to go but this is a big step for us.

If you do not mind me asking, is there a particular reason for this sudden increase in progress? This was surely not something anyone could have dreamed a year ago or so.

8 minutes ago, tomfyhr said:

If you do not mind me asking, is there a particular reason for this sudden increase in progress? This was surely not something anyone could have dreamed a year ago or so.

Well, we never showed anything to the public so no one knew how far we were. Others outside post tons whenever something little is found, but we've spent our time doing some amazing stuff.

so like. what is this exactly? cuz as far as i can tell it's just the normal lego universe, and terrev's been able to run that for a long time. a little explanation would be nice

• Like 1

Just now, Ringtail said:

so like. what is this exactly? cuz as far as i can tell it's just the normal lego universe, and terrev's been able to run that for a long time. a little explanation would be nice

Oh, sorry about that one. It's another server project. Yeah, you can normally run around and do stuff like that, but we're looking to get the core game working again. This means making the missions, enemies, etc... work. The goal is not to just be able to run around, but to play it like it was.

Very lofty goal but we've got good progress so far. Trailer doesn't really do it all justice.

• Like 1

ProfessorBrickkeeper

Looks neat, and I'm definitely willing to throw my hat in the ring to help out however I can. I've already been working on a multi-purpose LEGO game modding program, which probably wouldn't be too hard to modify to allow partial modding of the aspects of LU we understand. Also, if you ever need any promotional renders, I'm always available...

lol username

Yeah the server emulator I use is really outdated (especially compared to this one). There's a lot more functionality available here.

• Like 2

Well, its great to see you guys get this far, especially when compared to disappointing over-hyped previous "Hey guys, we're gonna bring back LU! Errmm, yeah, we give up, sorry" attempts.

No offence aimed at anyone in particular...

I look forward to seeing more of this renovation project in the future, and wish everyone involved in it's creation the best of luck.

You guys are absolute geniuses. The time and commitment you have put into this project cannot be appreciated enough, and the fact that you've brought LU to this level is something to be lauded!

Is there anything people can do to support the project? I imagine you're comfortable with the team you've got, but perhaps donations might be useful?

Edit: Also I'd happily contribute as a texture/render artist alongside ProfBrickkeeper if you need anything like that done, here are a couple of renders I've done in Blender recently:

TxXCP7E.jpg

tXUeXfn.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ben24x7 said:

Well, its great to see you guys get this far, especially when compared to disappointing over-hyped previous "Hey guys, we're gonna bring back LU! Errmm, yeah, we give up, sorry" attempts.

No offence aimed at anyone in particular...

I look forward to seeing more of this renovation project in the future, and wish everyone involved in it's creation the best of luck.

Yeah, that was definitely the goal with staying quiet for so long. There's a lot you can accomplish when very few people ever ask or even know.

That said, all of us here are working our hardest to make things even better for the Alpha.

3 hours ago, JimbobJeffers said:

You guys are absolute geniuses. The time and commitment you have put into this project cannot be appreciated enough, and the fact that you've brought LU to this level is something to be lauded!

Is there anything people can do to support the project? I imagine you're comfortable with the team you've got, but perhaps donations might be useful?

Edit: Also I'd happily contribute as a texture/render artist alongside ProfBrickkeeper if you need anything like that done, here are a couple of renders I've done in Blender recently:

Reveal hidden contents

TxXCP7E.jpg

tXUeXfn.jpg

Thank you! It definitely has felt great to finally show the world our progress, which surpasses all other servers out there.

We're going to open up donations later on, no date or if it'll be around before the Alpha but we're going to strictly take donations for server costs only. No profit or other use for the money besides it.

And thanks for the offer! I'll keep that in mind when we do more promotional stuff, would love something nice like those.

• Like 2

Fluffy Cupcake
On 2017-01-01 at 1:03 PM, Neal said:

Thanks! Even if you don't get in the Alpha, there'll be more opportunities in the future for sure.

Any word on where the keys will be "thrown" around? I know you will probably want to keep that hush for now, but it'd be useful for me as someone who doesn't have twitter and can only be bothered to check YT subs once or less a month.

2 hours ago, Xiron said:

Any word on where the keys will be "thrown" around? I know you will probably want to keep that hush for now, but it'd be useful for me as someone who doesn't have twitter and can only be bothered to check YT subs once or less a month.

Honestly haven't decided just yet. Still very much going on with planning for the Alpha but I'll let you know when this is more finalized.

Minor nitpick, on your website it says " Here is a collection of images from Darkflame Universe! All of these were captured after 2012, meaning nothing is from when the game is live. "... the "game is live" is incorrect tense. it should be "game was live".

But random little nitpicks aside...

AHHH WOO-HOO YOU GUYS DID IT YESSS!!! :D This was by FAR definitely worth waiting for! I look forward to the Alpha test (and the flood of Youtube videos about "LU COMING BACK!!!1!", lol) and to future progress... and the progress you've already made is impressive! Great job, well done, good work, and good luck!

I'm glad to see it's still being worked on and looking around, there's quite a bunch of people interested to play it again.  They talk about it here, on your twitter,  on the LMB's. Well done Neal and the team! :) 

On 1/4/2017 at 4:48 PM, SuperGeniusCreator said:

Minor nitpick, on your website it says " Here is a collection of images from Darkflame Universe! All of these were captured after 2012, meaning nothing is from when the game is live. "... the "game is live" is incorrect tense. it should be "game was live".

But random little nitpicks aside...

AHHH WOO-HOO YOU GUYS DID IT YESSS!!! :D This was by FAR definitely worth waiting for! I look forward to the Alpha test (and the flood of Youtube videos about "LU COMING BACK!!!1!", lol) and to future progress... and the progress you've already made is impressive! Great job, well done, good work, and good luck!

It's always those minor details... :P

Thanks for the kind words! I for sure am going to enjoy seeing all the videos out there on us. Someone already made an alternate trailer for our Alpha. Still blows my mind that so many people are still interested!

1 hour ago, Sim said:

I'm glad to see it's still being worked on and looking around, there's quite a bunch of people interested to play it again.  They talk about it here, on your twitter,  on the LMB's. Well done Neal and the team! :) 

I had no idea we'd get this big of a turnout for it. The game is 5 years old and wasn't really all that successful. Guess the crowd is stuck to it :P Thank you, Sim! :) 

12 hours ago, Neal said:

The game is 5 years old and wasn't really all that successful. Guess the crowd is stuck to it :P Thank you, Sim!

Well I was in middle school when it came out, without the means to pay for a subscription, although I had been a beta tester. Now I'm in college and I'd be willing to pay to play it, so the fact that you guys are making it possible through any means is great news for me!

• 1 month later...

I used to play LU back in middle school, and was devastated that it got shut down, now I am in college and I'm so excited to see that someone got it back up and working. However I do have a few questions.... I realized that there was a key give away last month, and was wondering if you are still giving them out, cause I am dying to restore my childhood. My other pressing question is if there was a way to play again with our old LU characters (I'm not sure if there were folders created for the characters).

1 hour ago, DashDesigner said:

My other pressing question is if there was a way to play again with our old LU characters (I'm not sure if there were folders created for the characters).

I'm no expert on LU, but character data and such sounds like something that'd be handled server-side rather than saved to yer computer. Vanilla LU also tied this with the LEGO ID system and since that's probably not gonna be a thing for DLU... yeah, I don't think you'll be able to use your old minifigs, sorry to say. 

Also, just noticed this is your first post here. Welcome to RRU I guess!

How could have I missed this! This is wonderful news. I'll definitely be looking forward to the closed beta, that's for sure. Also, over 1000 followers already? That's a heck of a lot more than I could've ever expected. I thought the last standing community of people interested in the game were on RRU, but fortunately I was wrong.

I hope development on the server will continue smoothly!

15 hours ago, DashDesigner said:

I used to play LU back in middle school, and was devastated that it got shut down, now I am in college and I'm so excited to see that someone got it back up and working. However I do have a few questions.... I realized that there was a key give away last month, and was wondering if you are still giving them out, cause I am dying to restore my childhood. My other pressing question is if there was a way to play again with our old LU characters (I'm not sure if there were folders created for the characters).

Our Alpha is full so we don't have any keys left to give out, alas. I'll be posting here when Closed Beta goes up, which will include another wave of keys!

To answer the question about old LU characters.. Nope, sorry. Those were all tied to the original LEGO Universe servers. You're going to have to start fresh in DLU.

3 hours ago, Shadowblaze said:

How could have I missed this! This is wonderful news. I'll definitely be looking forward to the closed beta, that's for sure. Also, over 1000 followers already? That's a heck of a lot more than I could've ever expected. I thought the last standing community of people interested in the game were on RRU, but fortunately I was wrong.

I hope development on the server will continue smoothly!

Hope you'll join us in CB! :) And yes, we've been incredibly surprised by the response we've gotten, both from websites like MassivelyOP (who posted an article on our Alpha  announcement) and then by the amount of followers we've gotten.

We're working our best to make our Alpha better so that all of our Beta players will have a smooth time playing!

• Like 2

Is it possible to visit other worlds during the Alpha, such as Avant Gardens or Nimbus Station, or is it restricted to Venture Explorer?

Is this Alpha in any way connected to this LU project?

• lol username featured this topic

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.