XP Virtual Box fails at startup?

Res32

I followed the guide for running on Virtual Box, here,

(but instead using my own CD to make the hard drive instead of the temporary XP machine for step 1). However, when I try to run the shortcut I receive "LegoRR.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close."  The offset is "000964ab" which I found one solution saying to reinstall but still resulted in the same problem.  I have tried various resolutions, upgrading/downgrading drivers, and installing the DirectX directly from the disk.  My specs are

Windows 10 running Windows Professional SP2 64-bit

AMD Athlon x8 845 Processor

Radeon R7 360 2GB

12GB Memory

Any other information/solutions I will readily give/attempt!

That AMD card might be the issue? I've found I can only get Rock Raiders to run on 98 machines since they ignore the graphics drivers entirely, while XP (at least with VMWare, not sure about VirtualBox) integrates them. but idk really

I tried it with a Windows 95 VirtualBox, but when I run with "-best" it says "No DirectX 3D Accelerator" or with "-ftm" it says there are no supported modes for full screen or windowed.  This may be an easier fix than the Windows XP fix, however.  Worst case, I just find the original PC that the OS disks were used for.

Uncheck "Enable 3D Acceleration" and "Enable 2d Video Acceleration" in Settings -> Display if you happened to check them. That prevented me from launching the game. I don't remember if it gave the same error.

2 hours ago, Cirevam said:

Uncheck "Enable 3D Acceleration" and "Enable 2d Video Acceleration" in Settings -> Display if you happened to check them. That prevented me from launching the game. I don't remember if it gave the same error.

Tried that now for both my XP and '95 VirtualBoxes and the error messages were not changed for either.  Thanks for the attempt though!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.