Ugly Rendering problem in 1st person mode. "Fog cracks" appear through cavern walls and ground

Cap't Rex

Recently I decided to replay LRR again on my main machine. Though when I play the game everything looks normal in standard view, but when I switch to 1st person mode, the whole map looks like its rendering horribly. There's "fog cracks" appearing throughout the walls and ground. It looks horrible.

Here's a picture of what I mean:

iYN10L.png 

I'm not sure what the problem is. I reinstalled the game, and did a clean reinstall and update of the nvidia drivers too. Still the same ugly problem. I know the GTX980ti is working properly for sure since I'm getting normal FPS rates and rendering in other games.

Maybe the game just hates the newer nvidia cards for some reason?

It looks like it's treating certain colors as transparent, but there doesn't seem to be any pattern. I have a GTX 970 and I do not have this problem. I'm using driver 352.86 which is older (due to compatibility issues with other things). What version are you using? Also, does this only affect the lava biome?

For drivers, I'm using driver 372.90. I updated to 376.33 (which I heard has quite some problems), but it didnt change much, so I went back to 372.90.

It mainly happens in the lava biome, and thats where it looked the nastiest. Though after I replaced the World folder in data with a fresh copy, the  "fog cracks" decreased quite a bit and the floor looks normal now, but theres still some problems with the rock walls.

As for other biomes, heres a screenshot from the ice biome: 

7LPiic.png

Some "fog cracks" and flickering (darkened textures; render problem?) still appear.  Though I can live with this since this is mainly in 1st person view that this happens. But in some instances I do see flickering in regular overview too.

Hmm, I notice the lighting's also playing up in that second picture... I take it you've tried the regularly compatibility mode stuff? Grabbing this dll and shoving it in the game directory may also help, as amusingly the d3drm.dll that comes with LRR doesn't actually work properly - the LI1 one is needed.

On the plus side, at least LRR is working l405G.jpg

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.