Interview With Jonathan Smith, The Development Director of LSW1!

MUCINEXSWEEP

Hi, 

As I was looking for developers of LSW1, I found Mr. Smith on a website and contacted him. 

Here's the interview!

Me: First, when did the development start?

Mr. Smith: In 2003.

Me: How many unfinished stuff was made in the development process?

Mr. Smith: There were several characters and levels sketched into the game plan at the start of the project which were dropped during development for various reasons.

Me: Do you still have the sketches? If you do, would you ever release them into the internet?

Mr. Smith: Yes, somewhere deep in archive; maybe one day.

Me: Why was the unfinished levels deleted in the first place?

Mr. Smith: To enable the team to focus on the best and most important levels as they worked to finish the game.

Me: How many levels were deleted?

Mr. Smith: I think four.

Me: In the files, I found some cutscenes for the deleted levels. Which includes, the start cutscene and the ending cutscene of Bounty Hunter Pursuit, Anakin's Flight, Boga Chase, a level involving Obi-Wan and Jango Fett in space. Why was this in the files?

Mr. Smith: There’s a lot of data produced during development of a game, and it can be difficult to strip out absolutely everything that isn’t totally necessary at the end.

Me: Was online co-op considered?

Mr. Smith: The original Xbox Live launched as we were conceiving the game; so it crossed our minds - but we wanted to focus strongly and distinctively on local co-op.

Me: When the development started, how many ideas were considered?

Mr. Smith: Many ideas!

Me: How many characters were planned to be in the game?

Mr. Smith: Only a few more than eventually made it in...

Me: How many hubs for the game was considered? In the video that I sent to you in the last mail, uncovered a deleted hub for the game. When was the hub deleted?

Mr. Smith: I honestly can't remember exactly, sorry. I think we only ever planned one actual hub.

Me: Were there any early builds for the game, that includes the deleted levels?

Mr Smith: Yep, it's possible to access all areas of the game data in the dev builds, which were created on a very regular basis.

Me: And the last question, how did the deleted levels look like and what was the gameplay?

Mr. Smith: You can see Bounty Hunter Pursuit and Anakin's Flight in The Complete Saga. The Boga Chase was conceived to match the movie, but never really got off the ground.

-

Me: Thanks for your attention! 

Mr. Smith: Thanks!

If you want, just write some ideas into this topic, and I'll send it to him.

Cheers!

• Like 3

Wow its pretty lucky you were able to interview him not just once but 4 times! :P

Edit: Seriously though, this is actually really cool. Thanks for posting it.

9 minutes ago, Yajmo said:

Edit: Seriously though, this is actually really cool. Thanks for posting it.

Thanks! I really appreciate it!

Lego Star Wars actually came out before Star Wars Episode III. I remember it kinda spoiling episode III for me before I saw it in theaters.>.<  I wonder if in 2003 when development started they knew all the secrets about Episode III. 

1 minute ago, Yajmo said:

I wonder if in 2003 when development started they knew all the secrets about Episode III. 

Maybe? Who knows? The world may never know.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.