Circuit Intro Shows Beta Track

Skeezix

While looking through the game files, I came to realize that the intros of the circuits use their own model set as a background, not the full track.

I wanted to check them all and I found this.

large.baron.pnglarge.old_map_set_piece.png

Now, you can see that it's not the retail track, but one that is actually the same as this old screenshot down left.

-> beta                                                                                                            -> retail

large_beta.jpglarge.retail.png

(Beta track files are in here \LEGO\MENUDATA\CIRCUIT5\AATRACK)

It would be incredible if someone could figure out a way how to replace it and make it align with the rest of the geometry,

but that's probably too hard for now.

Thank you for reading :) 

Wait, so are there entire beta tracks in files, or are these just cutaways of the sections that serve as the backdrops for the circuit leader intros? I ask specifically because I see the top of the temple is in the beta screenshot, but not in the cutscene version.

Either way, that's pretty neat.

Could it be that the beta screenshot is "staged"? Maybe they staged the scene and added the HUD to make it look like a real time screenshot during a race... *conspiracy music*

3 hours ago, Pereki said:

Wait, so are there entire beta tracks in files, or are these just cutaways of the sections that serve as the backdrops for the circuit leader intros? I ask specifically because I see the top of the temple is in the beta screenshot, but not in the cutscene version.

Either way, that's pretty neat.

They're cutaways. Likely just removed the top of the temple to get rid of a bunch of polygons you'd never see.

Edit - oh, also, the top of the temple has some textures not used elsewhere in the scene, so removing it would allow them to not duplicate those textures and save some space (the cutscenes don't share assets with the rest of the game for some reason).

3 hours ago, RocketRacer said:

Could it be that the beta screenshot is "staged"? Maybe they staged the scene and added the HUD to make it look like a real time screenshot during a race... *conspiracy music*

I don't think so. There are lot of screenshots like this. Not a lot from this track though, so I get why you could think that.

Turns out, precisely that part of the track from the old screenshot is everything we have in the files. Now I'm scared... ;( 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.