Nintendo Switch Discussion

The Ace Railgun

The Ace Railgun

So a trailer that new console the NX Switch came out today, peoples in the Discord figured it'd be good to have a discussion place for it.

Here's the trailer:

Personally, I'm excited for this console, It's something different and could be really good, especially for gamers on the go. But what do you guys think?

As a long time Nintendo Fan, I'm really impressed. Especially for the new features that the new system inconvenient has.. Let's us not hope that the Switch should not be as big as a failure like the WII U.

49 minutes ago, WillKirkby said:

--List of "Nintendo's Switch Partners"--

Its great to see some companies on this list (Havok, Tell Tale Games, Unity, etc), but there are a few (I won't name the two) whom I'm a little worried about.

12 minutes ago, Ben24x7 said:

Depending on the hardware, either the same price of a WiiU or more.

I hope it doesn't replace the Wii U but I'm excited for the sneak peek of that Mario kart game (hope it's an update for Mario Kart  8)

I wonder if the switch will be a Wii U but just with portability added on

Example:

Wii http://static1.gamespot.com/uploads/original/1555/15553757/2909555-m_wii_console.jpg

Wii mini https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b8/Wii-Mini-Console-Set-H.jpg

10 hours ago, Ringtail said:

does this mean the wii u is the bottom?

well I'm pretty sure the wii u was never on top of anything

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞

• Like 7

• 2 months later...

Watched the presentation livestream yesterday... I'm HYPED. :D I really hope this console succeeds, not because I really like Nintendo, but because I really like this concept, and the gaming industry needs SOMEONE to come up with new & fun ideas, regardless of whether they fly or not. The Switch will probably end up being the first Nintendo console I buy, and probably also the next console in general that I buy.

Also, can "1, 2, Switch" even be considered a videogame? Can it really be a videogame if most of the time there isn't much video involved? :P

For me, the pros are:

• it's a hybrid, of course
  • capacitive multi-touch touchscreen
  • joy-cons double as SNES controllers with analog sticks instead of d-pads
  • joy-cons double as essentially wiimotes for each hand
  • joy-cons have that HD RUMBLE (can't wait for 4K lol :P) which I've heard is pretty good, and I can definitely see lots of potential for adding just a touch more immersive-ness and feedback possibilities
  • joy-con straps come with console and double as shoulder button size-enhancers
  • console uses USB-C
  • microSD card slot supports up to 2TB microSD cards and console supports external USB drives (which I guess can be plugged in either to those USB-A  ports on the dock or plugged into the USB-C port on the bottom of the console (though I can't imagine the latter being a very comfortable solution in most cases :P)
  • no region-lock, although I've never even considered buying games from other regions, so this doesn't really affect me :P

And the cons would be:

• paid online with monthly game demos as opposed to Xbox Live Gold which lets you actually keep the games, and previous Nintendo consoles had free multiplayer
  • controllers (well, everything other than the console, really) cost lots of money, and while it kind of makes sense, given how much technology is packed into them, it's still annoying :P
  • joy-con grip that comes with console isn't a charging type, like the ones sold separately
  • no microphone on the controllers as far as I know
  • only 32GB of internal storage, though since the system uses cartridges I'm not sure how much of a problem that will be
  • (nitpick) dock uses USB-A 2.0 ports instead of USB-C and so technically isn't as future-proof as the console itself
  • "1, 2, Switch" isn't a pack-in title

That's all I can think of at the moment... for someone who would prefer to play most games through a PC, whether through buying them on PC or emulating them, the Switch fills a gap that can't be filled by anything else. It's portable, powerful, designed for gaming, is VERY convenient, and is so, so versatile. When I have the money, and it goes on sale or something at some point, I'll definitely consider picking it up.

sheepandshepherd

I wonder if they'll make a Metroid game for it. That's the only reason I'd consider getting a Switch, since I prefer PC games and don't really like any other Nintendo game series. Then again, the last two times Nintendo made a Metroid game were... well, I have nothing positive to say about those, so I'll just say Metroid Prime Trilogy was excellent.

One thing I find interesting about the console itself is that it supports Vulkan (and OpenGL 4.5) for graphics. Doesn't necessarily make it easy for small developers to put their games on Switch, especially if they're just using Unity or some other engine, but it's preferable to yet another proprietary graphics API like some consoles have. Less work wasted on porting is good for everyone.

TheBillionTonBrick

If they make a Mario & Sonic 2018 Olympics game for the Switch featuring Hatsune Miku, I'm definitely getting that console.

3 hours ago, TheBillionTonBrick said:

If they make a Mario & Sonic 2018 Olympics game for the Switch featuring Hatsune Miku, I'm definitely getting that console.

I think we all know that this isn't gonna be a thing any time soon for... quite an obvious reason.

HINT: It's because the game has "Mario & Sonic" in the title innit.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, TheBillionTonBrick said:

Same, but for me the deciding factor is whether they put Goku in Smash Bros or not.

TheBillionTonBrick
10 hours ago, Ayliffe said:

I think we all know that this isn't gonna be a thing any time soon for... quite an obvious reason.

HINT: It's because the game has "Mario & Sonic" in the title innit.

Well, maybe SEGA will at least port their latest Project Diva game to the Switch...

...They will, right?

30 minutes ago, TheBillionTonBrick said:

Well, maybe SEGA will at least port their latest Project Diva game to the Switch...

...They will, right?

>SEGA of Europe actually releasing a game

kek

TheBillionTonBrick
2 hours ago, Ayliffe said:

>SEGA of Europe actually releasing a game

kek

Sorry if I'm out of the loop, but what's the deal with SEGA Europe not releasing games?

ReflectedMantis

I kind of want one, but I may not be able to get one for months if at all. I think it looks like an interesting console.

The Switch is definitely a unique idea, although it is portable, Nintendo has stated it's a home console first, there aren't many games coming out on launch, so I think in the end the real determining factor will be what other games come after launch to figure out how well it'll do. If it doesn't end up selling well I have a feeling major companies will pull out quickly as they did with the Wii U. However, it does have a decent price point, which will make it affordable for many, I think that'll be one of the few selling points it'll pull off for most people.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.