Walk speed varies with camera pitch

lol username

The topic title is simplified a bit... But that's the most noticeable effect, anyway.

First, in case you wanna try this yourself, it might be handy to know that the X and C keys control the camera pitch - you don't have to use the mouse.

What's happening here is the game is taking the direction the camera is pointing, and trying to move Pepper in that direction by a certain amount. This amount actually changes depending on the FPS, such that Pepper's speed won't increase/decrease if the game's framerate increases/decreases... But let's just say it's trying to move Pepper 1 unit in the direction the camera is facing.

If the ground is flat and the camera is facing straight forward, this will just result in Pepper moving forward by 1 unit. But let's say the camera is facing mostly downwards. This also means the game wants to move Pepper mostly downwards - but there's ground in the way. So what happens?

nmqR7NS.png

Welp... This. He doesn't move as far/runs more slowly.

Of course, the ground in LI2 isn't perfectly flat, so the same happens when Pepper starts climbing slopes. And as you can see in the second video, some slope + camera angle combos are enough to not only make Pepper slow down or stop, but start going backwards while still walking forwards.

Needless to say, this isn't really the best way to calculate these things.

1 minute ago, mumboking said:

I find it funny how the slower walking Pepper screeches to a halt after the bridge.

Haha yeah, whether or not that happens is at least mostly based on how long you've been walking, from what I can tell.

I've noticed that too. Moving Pepper in this game kinda works as if you take a toy car - push it from the back and it will move pretty fast, but if you start pushing it from the top and keep directing the push more and more perpendicular to the ground, of course it will stop.

Fluffy Cupcake

Wanna know something interesting? If you use the unlimited camera zoom out mode on my cheat engine table and zoom out far enough, Pepper will eventually go into a walking state of animation. Normally we only get to see this animation for automated walking inside minigames.

Fluffy Cupcake

Not that I noticed, not even on the skateboard. I think this is mainly due to the camera always facing the same way you are and is never overhead though. Just now there was one instance where I was pulling away from shore up a hill and my camera was directly overhead facing down on my vehicle, and it was barely able to move forward, at all. Now this game doesn't have vehicle gravity physics, so.... yes?

12 hours ago, Xiron said:

Wanna know something interesting? If you use the unlimited camera zoom out mode on my cheat engine table and zoom out far enough, Pepper will eventually go into a walking state of animation. Normally we only get to see this animation for automated walking inside minigames.

As far as I've seen this happens occasionally if the camera is held all the way up with X, no cheats needed - though it is slightly inconsistent. It only happens when you're holding up or down, though - Pepper starts running again if you go left/right or diagonally.

Actually, it's kinda hard to tell with the camera rotating, but I think Pepper's speed might be slightly increased when going left/right/diagonally...? I'd say it's just the camera rotation making it feel that way, but the fact that it makes his running animation start playing again (which seems to be tied to speed), I wonder... Not really sure how to test it though. OH, I have an idea, but I can't try it at the moment. Will update later.

• Like 1

Fluffy Cupcake
23 minutes ago, Terrev said:

As far as I've seen this happens occasionally if the camera is held all the way up with X, no cheats needed - though it is slightly inconsistent.

If it does then it never happened long enough for me to notice, likely due that inconstantly switching between walk and run. Also, I've never used a key to hold the camera up, I've always used the mouse, so that could be another factor why I've never noticed.

Wow, it seems to be a common* theme in LI2, that A depends on the variable B-surprise.

P.S.: "Bonus" points, if a wheel of fortune was used to determine, which things should depend on each other.

*okay, I only know two cases so far, but those seem to be already confusing/annoying enough (the pizza rotation & loading time madness and the camera angle-walking speed issue presentend in this thread)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 10/19/2016 at 8:48 PM, Terrev said:

Actually, it's kinda hard to tell with the camera rotating, but I think Pepper's speed might be slightly increased when going left/right/diagonally...? I'd say it's just the camera rotation making it feel that way, but the fact that it makes his running animation start playing again (which seems to be tied to speed), I wonder... Not really sure how to test it though. OH, I have an idea, but I can't try it at the moment. Will update later.

Due to the wobble in both of their paths (the camera is constantly trying to rotate itself, and I was manually adjusting it with the mouse), it's hard to say if running sideways is faster than running diagonally, or vice versa... But despite the wobbling making both of their paths longer, they still both manage to outpace running straight forward. To get a better view, try playing the video at 0.5 or 0.25 speed.

At least the diagonal quirk is a bit more common... Though given just running left/right seems faster, too, who knows exactly what's going on here. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DiagonalSpeedBoost

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.