Driver160

lol username

I think most like the idea of a Rock Raiders sequel or spiritual successor - there's been many, many fan-created attempts at sequels (some getting farther than others, none being complete or playable games). There's also the case of DDI and "BLock Raiders 2" but uh... I'll let others explain that, lol.

all of those fan attempts have ended with the dev being asked about it a year after their last activity and they're like "oh yeah i cancelled that six months ago and didn't tell anyone lololololololololololol" and tbh bee lock raiders is pretty much the same way lmao

• Like 4

Fluffy Cupcake

Making a new Rock Raiders is the ultimate trial of life. Many try, none succeed. I think Rock Raiders is cursed to never receive a spiritual successor.

risingstar64

It's difficult to stay motivated when working on a fan-remake of a game, due to the fact that doing so requires a large time commitment and effort for something that cannot make any money, and may well be shut down by the copyright holder, invalidating a tremendous amount of hard work. This is a very common issue surrounding game fan-bases in general honestly. I think the only reasonable solution is to gather enough talent in one place that work on a remake or successor can be divided into a more manageable amount for each developer, but that is obviously much easier said than done, especially for a very underappreciated game like Rock Raiders. The good news though is that Rock Raiders is not a particularly complex game by modern standards, it just becomes tricky trying to make sense of some of the weirder level file data, and attempting to replicate the clunky yet charming Raider AI (and don't forget trying to make sense of your own practically unreadable code >.<)

• Like 3

Is Cave Raiders still a thing? That was by far the most promising attempt at recreating LRR but u haven't heard anything from it in far too long.

2 hours ago, Fush said:

Is Cave Raiders still a thing? That was by far the most promising attempt at recreating LRR but u haven't heard anything from it in far too long.

from what i've heard the guy cancelled it but only said so in a PM someone sent to him recently a year after his last update, hence my comment about people just f****ing off instead of saying they're not gonna work on it any more.

2 hours ago, risingstar64 said:

and attempting to replicate the clunky yet charming Raider AI

why would you try to replicate that awful AI instead of making it better

risingstar64
21 minutes ago, Ringtail said:

why would you try to replicate that awful AI instead of making it better

There are elements of the AI that take away from gameplay (such as their inability to shoot at enemies from the correct range, their tendency to 'shut down' if the map is too active, or their love of running straight into dynamite in search of the perfect rubble to sweep). But then there are some elements that mostly just add some personality to the raiders (their random deviations when moving towards a task that can lead to them running on walls or through otherwise ordinarily unpathable areas, the way that the hungrier they are, the more groggy and even unresponsive they get until they are able to fill their stomachs back up with sandwiches, or the way they are hindered by harmless NPCs like bats and spiders). Perhaps I am alone in this, but I feel that the latter examples are a part of what makes the original raider AI so much fun; unlike the units in a typical RTS which respond perfectly and instantly to 100% of your commands, the raiders in rock raiders act like they are just following orders to the best of their abilities, which leads to the player having to adapt to the sometimes unexpected ways that the raiders respond to the player's inputs. I just don't think a remake would be complete without re-introducing these mechanics in a somewhat less game breaking, but still fun and unpredictable way. 

• Like 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.