LEGO Island: The In-Between Years

Fluffy Cupcake

Fluffy Cupcake

So I've was doing a bit of fan speculation from an in-universe perspective and not developer's in relation to the PC timeline of the Island series (tid-bits from other versions and sources are welcome though), and I didn't really have an conclusive answer come up for the true story of this which still remains a mystery. In the in between years of Island and Island 2, and as well Island 2 and Xtreme Stunts, what caused the Island changes? Did the island slowly morph and get bigger as more land drifted in? Did the residents move off the island because of population growth? Or where they forced off their homeland to find a new one for X reasons? If the later two, why did the take Brickster along with them? Is it because they were worried he might scheme up something to get revenge on the island?

For the first set of questions I put up there, the last point of "forced off the island" would make for the most interesting story for sure. Perhaps the Brickster is even worse than we thought and he caused the destruction of them! D8 Speaking of that, you know how there is a bad ending and good ending in the first Island? What if in the bad ending universe that event led to them having to leave the island and rebuild somewhere else? (thus Island 2). With having their island destroyed in the first game and with Brickster in possession of the almighty power brick, they didn't really have  any way to rebuild, leading them to have to find a new place to live. Say eventually some time down the road after their leave they found the magical Contructopedia book which the power brick had no effect on and they rebuilt. Know one knows of the books's origin, but for all we know perhaps they found this relic somewhere by chance on their venture for a new home. A simple alternative is that the due to the Informaniac's well known-ness and his wide range of contacts he could have simply got the book from one of his magician friends that we don't know about. If the later, whilst the Informaniac may have heard of the weakness of the builds that were tied in with the book (a simple tear for destruction), I'm sure the people of LEGO Island would have been desperate and devastated for a new place to call home at this time so anything that worked they went with.

In an unrelated note, as characters age (at least Pepper does) there is a sense of time meaning old age and new life, although we never see any new younger characters having been assembled by parents after Pepper's arrival (whom for the unaware was adopted). Was he the last new child on the island? Or are children just that rare? If the former, what caused the halt in new children? (mind you there is those three youngsters who hang out on the beach on Xtreme Stunts, but they don't have that much age difference relation to Pepper, so potentially they could have just moved in - unless rapid aging during the younger years is a thing). Another thing, did Pepper's parents use to live on the island before getting lost, or was Pepper transported over after he got adopted? What's the speculation behind that?

I don't normally go out and avidly make fan speculations, so excuse me if I sound like I'm just spouting out a lot of hooey and don't know what I'm talking about, just work with me here. ^^

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Xiron said:

what caused the Island changes? Did the island slowly morph and get bigger as more land drifted in? Did the residents move off the island because of population growth? Or where they forced off their homeland to find a new one for X reasons?

didn't it say they made it bigger themselves? it's not like that's much of a stretch for magic plastic people.

39 minutes ago, Xiron said:

why did the take Brickster along with them?

what else would they do with him, leave him in isolation forever?

40 minutes ago, Xiron said:

the almighty power brick, they didn't really have  any way to rebuild, leading them to have to find a new place to live. Say eventually some time down the road after their leave they found the magical Contructopedia book which the power brick had no effect on and they rebuilt. Know one knows of the books's origin, but for all we know perhaps they found this relic somewhere by chance on their venture for a new home. A simple alternative is that the due to the Informaniac's well known-ness and his wide range of contacts he could have simply got the book from one of his magician friends that we don't know about.

i mean i really have no idea what either of those things were. the contructopedia was just what a bunch of instruction manuals? and i guess you can't build things without instructions even though lego wants to promote creativity? you know what, if the game had ended with people rebuilding things their own way instead of relying on wait this is just the plot to the lego movie, uhh

the power brick was just something the brickster put on his head. i don't think that had any more meaning than all the times gideon worse got decapitated. i wish lego had done that style of animation in any of their games afterward.

i mean just get bill ding to make something. it'll probably be crap but at least it'll be something.

41 minutes ago, Xiron said:

did Pepper's parents use to live on the island before getting lost,

im pretty sure it says that in the manual. about his grandparents, uncle-ish?, and dad anyway.

43 minutes ago, Xiron said:

although we never see any new younger characters having been assembled by parents after Pepper's arrival (whom for the unaware was adopted). Was he the last new child on the island? Or are children just that rare?

the soccer kids in LI2 are a bit younger than pepper

• Like 2

Fluffy Cupcake
1 hour ago, Ringtail said:

didn't it say they made it bigger themselves? it's not like that's much of a stretch for magic plastic people.

Plausible, but where is this source?  Saw it say "We’ve had a chance to repair the island and even expand a little" in the Island 2 manual. I guess they could of got bricks shipped in for expansion assuming they don't have a way to magically summon bricks from nowhere or are able to harness the power of portals to place one right at a brick factory for instants transportation. Oh well, it was still a fun less-kid friend theory. Who knows, maybe the Infomaniac is hiding the truth to try and cover up the past as to try and attract more visitors, more "friends" (since he seems to have a liking to that), and what I said is true after all. :0

I'm trying to recall, do we ever get an explanation in Island 2 what caused the portals to appear anyway? Or do they just appear out of convenience to the story. I know in the GBA version of Island 2 you travel between islands without usage of portals, or so it seems. The portals could be off screen for all we know although it never was strictly implied.

what else would they do with him, leave him in isolation forever?

Yes, because he deserves exile for his repeated destructive deeds. :P

I mean i really have no idea what either of those things were. the contructopedia was just what a bunch of instruction manuals? and i guess you can't build things without instructions even though lego wants to promote creativity? you know what, if the game had ended with people rebuilding things their own way instead of relying on... wait this is just the plot to the lego movie, uhh

Shouldn't builds be not reliant on a book being together in one piece? It must have some sort of magical connection to them. It seems the islanders (not kahuka type of islander) were pretty reliant on the book as you were saying, and when the pages came back, so did the bricks magically from the sky. Why bill-ding was there when they spawned in, who knows, maybe it's just his pride putting him there to show that he is still the master builder on the island even though we all know he doesn't really build anything? On a slightly more logical note than pride, another thing that could be is that, you know how Pepper has to "gather" bricks from the people around island to build his house? Maybe Bill Ding writes instructions for/in the constructopedia and bricks just have to be gathered to be 'magically' put into the book either by Bill-Ding or the Informaniac (which we don't see) for the bricks to start assembling itself into the build, and Bill-Ding is just there to supervise the construction to make sure the written instructions went according to plan. I'm sure Bill-Ding has a bunch of unbuilt instruction pages laying around, what else would he be doing in his spare time when not building? =P

the power brick was just something the brickster put on his head. i don't think that had any more meaning than all the times gideon worse got decapitated

i mean just get bill ding to make something. it'll probably be crap but at least it'll be something.

Maybe maybe not, perhaps it helped super charge his deconstructor gun to do a max overload of damage wheras before it only could do small damage? Brickster must have had some reason for immediately grabbing the brick off the info-center first thing, and why else would the Infomaniac be going bonkers about the fact that he stole it if it didn't give some sort of important power?

im pretty sure it says that in the manual. about his grandparents, uncle-ish?, and dad anyway.

the soccer kids in LI2 are a bit younger than pepper

Just checked up on the manual, and yep his relatives were around.

I kinda forgot about those guys tbh, although they did kinda disappear in Xtreme Stunts, so who knows what happened, maybe they moved out. :?:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xiron said:

I kinda forgot about those guys tbh, although they did kinda disappear in Xtreme Stunts, so who knows what happened, maybe they moved out.

????? they were never in any of the games? aside from the photos in pepper's house?

Fluffy Cupcake

We were talking about these guys right?

1 hour ago, Terrev said:

-gif-

I just want to you know I did not find that appropriate but instead found it a rather a rude interruption that I should not even be responding to. Either contribute to the conversation or disregard it. Do you hate talking fan ideas that much, or do you just think my thoughts on the matter are completely far-fetched and ridiculous? Speak to me man, or speak your opinion on the topic at hand, don't give me the worthless gifies.

• Like 2

lol username
1 minute ago, Xiron said:

I just want to you know I did not find that appropriate but instead found it a rather a rude interruption that I should not even be responding to. Either contribute to the conversation or disregard it. Do you hate talking fan ideas that much, or do you just think my thoughts on the matter are completely far-fetched and ridiculous? Speak to me man, or speak your opinion on the topic at hand, don't give me the worthless gifies.

EYi1rvq.jpg

• Like 3

the real answer: the infomaniac took a poo and it was so big they were able to form new sub-islands out of it. don't eat the double garlic anchovy whatever pizzas it's like taco bell from hell.

2 hours ago, Xiron said:

We were talking about these guys right?

i thought you were talking about mac and sandy and it brought back memories of seven years ago when everyone was getting all the minor characters' names wrong and i'm touchy today but then again it looks like im not alone so whatever lmao sorry

Fluffy Cupcake

*insert smarty pants response to Terrev's smarty pants response* Screw it, I'm done there.

Sorry Ringtail, it's hard for me to laugh at poo jokes when in just a few replies a topic I spent some time writing up and replying to got partially derailed and went from the dinner table to the toilet. I'm giving the forum food and like... only one person liked it?

Fluffy Cupcake

Well yes, because everyone else who didn't like it needs to throw up, and the garbage bins are already full because someone forgot to empty them again.

Unless you want to go the other way around say it was so good that the one person's bowels exploded in the toilet. YES, TASTY FOOD CAN BE A PAIN SOMETIMES.

Fluffy Cupcake

Yes, and now I've had to get implants because of it. I take it you've had better luck than I to not to experience such a tragedy.

*Note, this reply is not serious because the reply above is not.

Anyone wishing to continue this topic properly, please jump back to the posts before Terrev's gif post.

Oh hey, something I feel moderately competent in contributing to!

I mean, a lot of the setting and growth of LEGO Island wasn't really left clear. The developers never really meant to keep it all in one coherent plot for all three games. Otherwise the island would have stayed much the same, or at least expanded but leaving the core shape of the original island in the middle or something. LEGO Island was meant to expand into several games developed by the original team before they got laid off just before the release of the first game. LEGO Island 2 and Extreme Stunts weren't really supposed to exist, hence the drastic change in setting and design between 1 and 2.

If I recall correctly, the original game's manual explained that the Infomaniac traveled to many different islands, several of them named after foods like Key Lime (great pie!). Many of the plot points and elements really just sort of happened for the sake of gameplay, like the different portals in LEGO Island 2. At the end of the day, the entire backstory and fine points of these games are more-or-less up to creative liberties and making up your own interpretation.

...Which is what I attempted to do many years ago. WAY back when I was still trying to make that fan fiction to combine LEGO Island with several other themes in a somewhat coherent universe, I plotted out a very rough outline which would have been like a story bible if I went back to it today. Much of it took out the superfluous aspects (like the food islands) and tried to center it partially in the "modern" (now late 2000s) LEGO Universe, including some aspects of the LEGO Universe game, and making the Island a sort of center of all creativity and everything the LEGO brand stood for. Basically, this is an excuse for me to go back and talk about the world I tried to piece together in my early days of being on this site. A lot of this is, like I said before, taking creative liberties in piecing together a headcanon for LEGO Island.

MY interpretation of the Island was that long ago, the Infomaniac set out to create a sort of bastion to imagination of play. After travelling to many lands, he finally set in to what we now know as LEGO Island, and subsequently created the Brickster. Basically all the events of the manual ensue from there, minus the fact that "zillions" of years would have passed (besides, "zillion" isn't a real number!). LEGO Island would have stayed separate from the other themes or "realms" like Town, Castle, and Space et al., but could be accessed through portals like in LI2 at some point in time. LEGO Island was mostly closed off from the rest of the universe, respected as a sort of special or even "sacred" world (though not in a religious sense. Kind of like present day Israel in terms of old culture once existing there or something). Many could visit and learn from the Island, but very few could live there permanently. This was a process that the Infomaniac proposed to preserve what the Island stood for, as much as possible at least. Eventually, the Island WOULD expand to what LI2 looks like, with more people being allowed to move there. The Island IS LEGO after all, and thus could easily expand on.

Another thing I wanted to focus on was the Mysterious Door. The one Captain Click teased about never opening, and was originally intended to be a glimpse into the next game Mindscape was going to do. This door was the reason why the Infomaniac built the Island. It was an ancient passage to several realms. A sort of compass to something I came up with, called the Engine of Construction. The Constructopedia was meant as a sort of instruction manual for the Engine. The original Power Brick was a taste of the powers of the Island, something not TOO damaging if fallen into the wrong hands. The Brickster could have stolen the Power Brick and trashed the Island, and at some point the Infomaniac would have discovered the Constructopedia to counter and retake control of the Power Brick, and create the Island anew. This would consume the Power Brick and give us the location for Island 2, as well as revealing the existence of the Engine. Four pieces, strewn about all reality, rooting Creativity and spreading it to the Universe. That ancient passage had four portals to the general realm each of the four pieces of the Engine would have been located. The main purpose for the Engine was a sort of failsafe in case some disaster like the Maelstrom or a lack of creativity came into being, and the Infomaniac discovered this and brought it upon himself to protect it, along with Captain Click before him (who was formerly Captain Redbeard, stranded by a mutiny many years before).

tl;dr It's just a kids' game with little attempt to string together a decent plot. Make up your own or piggyback off of another guy's headcanon or something. It's very late but I felt like I should contribute SOMETHING.

Also Terrev must have gotten bored and decided to contribute by contributing next to nothing or something. I don't bloody know

• Like 3

Fluffy Cupcake

Hmm, interesting read. This is definitely a head-canon thing which I was well aware of before I even began the topic. I was just interested in hearing everyone else stories and opinions to see the most plausible and most generally accepted theories, even if they may not be true. Thanks for the share McStudz!

Did you ever by chance make up an headcanon between the events of the first and second racers game as well, and perhaps even before the first and after the second? I mean I know after the first game he lost and everything and then went to go sulk around until a Xalax paper flew in his face, but we don't really know much else other than what the player's perspective in the game provides, even the manuals are pretty dry aside from giving a bit more depth to the Racers 2 intro. Do we even know why was Rocket even at Sandy Bay (player's home town) to begin with, was he visiting or did he live there? Etc.

12 hours ago, Ringtail said:

"Captain Click (who was formerly Captain Redbeard)"

-robotnik-

Time travel must have happened at some point for Brickster to get both Click and Redbeard to play on his Intergalatic team simultaneously in Soccer Mania . :o

:P

11 hours ago, Xiron said:

Xalax pepper

z1rvfNm.png

Alternatively, this typo provides an interesting starting point for a LEGO Island/LEGO Racers crossover. Like Pepper was on Sandy Bay for some reason or another... What if instead of Sandy Bay, the main Racers 2 hub was LEGO Island? And the portals from LEGO Island 2 lead to -- obviously -- Adventurer's Island, and... well, none of the other worlds work for both games, except for maybe Xalax being kind of similar to Ogel... mostly just because they're both in space. I guess this isn't really a headcanon as much as it is wondering about what the game would be like if the developers intentionally made LEGO Racers 2 take place in the Island universe. I don't even know what I'm saying anymore, so I'm done now. Thanks.

• Like 1

Fluffy Cupcake

That would of been quite the interesting universe mingle if Sandy Bay did happen to be LEGO Island, but there definitely is no way that one could be the other, even if you tried hard to read between the lines.... or maybe it is possible. There is the potential the island super changed since we last saw it once again (while getting a name change), and the cast from the island series stayed inside their homes the whole time with some being gone elsewhere like on a trip. But nah, that's just pushing it way too hard. :P

21 hours ago, Xiron said:

Did you ever by chance make up an headcanon between the events of the first and second racers game as well, and perhaps even before the first and after the second?

I never really gave the Racers games much thought beyond what we were given for the plot of Racers 2. Not a lot to work from other than Rocket Racer and Veronica Voltage being the primary original characters.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.