Rock Raiders CTD on launch (Win 10 /w XP VM)

Briland

I have been attempting to get Rock Raiders running on Windows 10.

At first I tried a basic installation  from the CD despite the lack of success I saw from members here.

Compatibility settings:
Windows XP sp3
16 bit color

I got the game to show the brick fall Lego screen but it would immediately crash afterwards .

I then followed this guide and set up Rock Raiders on an XP VM.

Rock Raiders installed properly and would load into the  display device selection menu. After selecting windowed with RGB software emulation and clicking OK the program crashes without error.

VM Display settings:

Spoiler

6dNtCLB.png

System:
Winows 10 x64
i7-6700k
NVIDIA GTX 1080
32 Gb RAM

Windows XP x32 running on VirtualBox

Installed from my original English Rock Raiders disk (Part #2299691) with DRM.
LegoRR.icd - 720kb  

After selecting windowed with RGB software emulation

RGB software emulation

There's your problem!

Can you run the game with Direct 3D HAL?

It doesn't show the option to inside the XP VM. Which I found odd because the guide had it there in the screenshot.

When I run outside it does. But clearly doesn't work outside.

4 hours ago, aidenpons said:

Can you run the game with Direct 3D HAL?

I don't think it's possible. I asked the same question recently and no one had an answer. I think it might be possible to emulate direct3D with OS's older than XP like 2000 and 98 but I haven't tried.

Ignore the XP VM;

Grab this dll and shove it straight into your LRR directory. Then tell LRR to run it 16-bit colour mode. That should work (for both Ringtail and Briland).

8 hours ago, aidenpons said:

Ignore the XP VM;

Grab this dll and shove it straight into your LRR directory. Then tell LRR to run it 16-bit colour mode. That should work (for both Ringtail and Briland).

If this isn't modified from the original dll. I've already tried it without sucess.

14 hours ago, Briland said:

If this isn't modified from the original dll. I've already tried it without sucess.

Ah, it is modified from the original .dll.

I think it's extracted from LI1, which has a different d3drm.dll. Don't ask me why.

EDIT: wait never saw Ringtail's post...

I'm well aware my solutions aren't working, but they're solutions that seem to work for me, and while they may be laughably incorrect nobody else has offered anything... I'm just trying (and failing) to help. :)

ok yeah it's different than the DLL I had but it still won't let me run 3DHal mode. RGB mode runs and crashes as soon as the menu music tries to start.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.