DIY "Very-accurate-but-cheap" Head-Tracking

Quake

Hi,

Have you ever wanted to play simulator games, and look around without having to switch between mouselook and aiming? Well, with this handy guide you can make your own headtracking device!

I've been thinking about this idea for a while, and finally I've come around to building and using a DIY Head Tracking "device".

Spoiler

DIY head tracking hat

The device is a simple 3-point tracker, which software like FreeTrack uses to calculate the position and rotation of the head of the wearer.

The LEDs must be in specific locations for the FreeTrack software to work. The LEDs MUST be installed in the same figure as mine.

Small Schematic of LED placement:

Spoiler

eb319eba412947e183b22b1df36f3048.png

The offsets can be modified inside FreeTrack, so you can place LEDs further or closer to the center as you wish.

All that is needed outside of the Wiring, is a webcam with a low res. (800x600 is enough).

I've made a schematic in paint, which shows how everything is connected, and which Resistors and LEDs should be used.

Note: I'm using Red LEDs in the above picture, due to IR LEDs not being available in the shop near me at the moment..

The Schematic:

Spoiler

4ejaKIT.png

I will not be writing a lengthy FreeTrack tutorial, as there are many, many of these on youtube.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.