Curiosities of Stunt Rally files

TheBillionTonBrick

TheBillionTonBrick

So I looked in Stunt Rally's resource files and there seem to be quite a few file formats uesd in the game other than wav or tga.

.msc - They're very similar to msc files from Lego Racers, but a little more advanced. An example from a file called "electric ray" is shown here:

[event_begin]
 ActionButtonTrigger< ActivationTimes = -1>
[then]
  ParticlesEffects	< FileID = 9021, Offset = {0;3;-6}, Lifetime = 1000 >
[event_end]

[event_begin]

ProximityTrigger<
		ProxType	= 1,
		Radius		= 0.1,
		XSize		= 20,
		YSize		= 20,
		ZSize		= 40,
		Centre		= {-20;5;0},
		Self		= 0,
		Excluding	= {}
		>
[and]

ActionButtonTrigger< ActivationTimes = -1>

[then]

CarParamsEffect	<
			Acceleration 	= 0.01,
			Braking		= 0.1,
			SideGrip	= 7.0,
			Grip		= 7.0,
			Steering	= 0.2,
			MaxSpeed	= 0.1,
			SlideAngle	= 8.00,
			Lifetime	= 3000,
			Self		= 0
		>

[event_end]

.mdf: Not really sure what they are, they might be some form of extra model data. They might be another form of scripting language (possibly compressed sql), but I doubt it.

moto.dlp: The game's instrument library. A user called lu9 extracted this archive and used the soundfonts to create his own remix, although the video got removed.

.spg: Various music files used for different environments. They most likely contain Microsoft Directmusic data.

With a little decoding (and if Cyrem releases a version of his Stunt Rally Rf Tool that can put the files back into compressed archives), these files could probably be easily manipulated to drastically change aspects of the gameplay.

• Like 2

Shadowblaze

It's very interesting. We need something to compress again the file right away. Any news on textures, or how to edit music?

TheBillionTonBrick
3 hours ago, Shadowblaze said:

It's very interesting. We need something to compress again the file right away. Any news on textures, or how to edit music?

Well, here's what we know now; all the textures are tga files and they're viewable with GIMP. The 3D models are accessible using an XBF to OBJ converter (not sure about changing them back, though). As for the music, you might have to ask lu9 about that. He might have some knowledge on DirectMusic.

The other file formats might take a little looking into. I'll try doing that if I have time.

TheBillionTonBrick
1 hour ago, Shadowblaze said:

So we can actually edit textures and music? Or do we need a way to recompress everything?

Textures, music, and even msc files are somewhat editable. The mdf files are most likely SQL Server databases, but I have yet to find an mdf viewer/editor that's simple, easy to use or doesn't cost a fortune.

However, there's still no way to recompress the files, as Cyrem hasn't released a version of his Rf tool that can do so, which makes testing out the changes impossible.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.